PDA

View Full Version : 26" Snapper

howardsells2000
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I have been doing lots of shopping trying to be ready for spring. I recently posted asking about buying a used Ferris 52" WB dual hydro and a 36" WB. While I was out today I saw a 26" Snapper WD. The dealer told me that it isn't commercial but a lot of commercial guys buy them and have very good luck with it. It was brand new and cost just over $1000.00. Does anyone have any experience with these?

lawnspecialties
02-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I have been doing lots of shopping trying to be ready for spring. I recently posted asking about buying a used Ferris 52" WB dual hydro and a 36" WB. While I was out today I saw a 26" Snapper WD. The dealer told me that it isn't commercial but a lot of commercial guys buy them and have very good luck with it. It was brand new and cost just over $1000.00. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm not aware of this machine but I'd love to know as well. I tried to buy a Metro 26 last summer but my dealership could never get them. Problems with manufacturing. Then I heard so many people complain about them I was sort of glad. You might get better results in the "commercial mowing" threads.

howardsells2000
02-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Well you made me wonder and I checked on the Snapper web site and they didn't show the mower I was talking about. Maybe I got confused because I looked at so many today. I did think it was a Snapper though. It looked just like a commercial walk behind. It was rear drive. It seemed pretty nice. I will call the dealer in the morning to confirm.

allino
02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
you are right. snapper makes a 26 but it is not a commercial mower like you said before. our dealer out here said to wait for for the exmark to see if they have worked the bugs out.

True Harbor
03-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I have the 26' snapper and it works well. Its much faster than a 21' and has good maneuverability around beds.

allino
03-01-2006, 09:04 AM
how long have you had it? hows it holding up?

True Harbor
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I've had it about 1 year and haven't had any problems. Although I dont run it hard I cut about 20 small yards per week here in florida.

LawnBrother
03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok, here is the deal on the 26" Snapper. Last summer I was wondering about this mower as well. I went to a dealer, checked it out, thought it looked well built, but I was still skeptical so I posted the same question here on Lawnsite. A few people said they were ok, but to buy another commercial mower instead, and a few people told me flat out not to buy it. I should have taken their advice! I Thought I would give it a go when I found one (almost brand new, I might add) for only $500. I bought it, took it out and used it on one lawn and knew I had made a big mistake. It is hard to maneuver, the blade brake clutch engages poorly, the acceleration lever is a killer on your hand, the front castor wheels are worthless on anything but a completely flat surface, it is also heavy and very underpowered (it would not even pull itself up a hill). After the second lawn the drivebelt came off the pulley while I was pushing it up a hill. After I reattatched the belt I drove directly back to my storage unit to park it and get my 21" Toro proline to finish the day. The Proline will kick the Snapper's Azz for the same price and last 10 times longer at least. The Snapper would be fine if your yard was flat and you used it once a week. Commercial use: no way. At least I sold it to a homeowner on ebay for $50 more than I paid for it. (it went on sale the same day I used it first, I was so mad at myself!:realmad: ) Lessons learned: Take the advice of those who know better, and never use homeowner equipment for commercial work. Whatever you do, do NOT buy this mower!!! Either buy a new 21" Toro Proline for a $1000, or use that money to buy a good used commercial walk behind. Hope that helps!
-Jason

howardsells2000
03-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the information. I won't take a chance on it. Everyone say's don't buy anything that is not commercial.

J&R Landscaping
03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
It may be good for home owners but it is not that great for commercial use! You might consider a troy-bilt 33" mower. While these are not 100% commercial, I know a few local LCO's and they use them and they say they are worth the money. They don't take a beating as well as the true commercial equipment but if you wll be the only user, you shouldn't have much of a problem. IMO

True Harbor
03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
The snapper is much easier to manuever than a 21' without the castors you just have to get used to it. I've had no problems with fatigue either from the control lever. Also unless your talking about a 60 degree plus hill which I haven't tested it on, it doesnt have any problems with hills in my exp. It may not last as long but its definitely more productive than a 21' proline except in really tight areas.

LawnBrother
03-01-2006, 11:17 PM
No offense intended, there true harbor. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. I am trying to help keep this guy from making a purchase I know he will regret. In my experience with this machine it was completely worthless for commercial use. If the Snapper 26 works for you then that's great, but if you have a chance you might want to try a 32" or 36" commercial wb, you may find yourself selling that 26 to help pay for it. :)

greenpastureslc
03-02-2006, 02:51 AM
I don't have a snapper but last season I picked up a 26" Murray that looks to be the same setup as the the model your talking about (with the exeption of the front caster wheels). In my opinoin very solid machine. I don't treat my equipment easily when I'm working. I live in the Adirondac Mnts and most of the yards I do are on slopes. When I first bought the mower I didn't use it to much, but towards the end of the season I found myself pulling it off the trailer more than my tractor. It was very easy to maneuver and for the yards I used it on it was quicker than my 42" tractor and my 22" push, just so happens I stopped loading the 22" on the trailer. Total cost just under $400. IMO if your a solo operator you don't need to spend top dollar to get good equipment. If you shop around your going to find something for less $$$ that you you'll be happy with and will get the job done also!!!

True Harbor
03-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Ya your probably right I'm looking at a 32 or 36 right now but I'm still not sure.