PDA

View Full Version : 26" Snapper

howardsells2000
02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I have been doing lots of shopping trying to be ready for spring. I recently posted asking about buying a used Ferris 52" WB dual hydro and a 36" WB. While I was out today I saw a 26" Snapper WD. The dealer told me that it isn't commercial but a lot of commercial guys buy them and have very good luck with it. It was brand new and cost just over $1000.00. Does anyone have any experience with these?

TURF DOCTOR
02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
What is a wd,if it has a 7 horse power kawasaki these are good looking machines and the price is not bad.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 11:45 PM
If it is this one, I just looked at one a while back.
I don't see a dang thing wrong with it.

http://www.snapper.com/images/l_hiwheel_mower.jpg

I don't think the one I looked at had that engine though...
I could swear it was a Robin engine on the one I saw.
Maybe I should run buy that one in case that model is discontinued.

lawnboy dan
03-01-2006, 07:08 PM
avoid it! the disk drive sys isnt tough enough for comm use.

john_incircuit
03-01-2006, 09:06 PM
This one is using the 7 HP B&S Intek motor. THis is perhaps OK for side discharge, but it definitely will not be enough for mulching. I have now 3 of those engines (don't ask why...) and just don't get what the engineers thought when they designed the air filter system. I have not found a way to remove the air cartridge without letter dirt drop into the carburetor intake. And the life span, it's 350 to 400 hours tops in my experience.

John

davidg
03-01-2006, 09:52 PM
howard, im getting a troy bilt wide cut mower. its a 33'' cut. i used to have one a few years ago and loved it. ive tried em all, toro, snapper, scag and none of them cut as good as the troy bilt, AND FOR LESS MONEY!

buttaluv
03-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I had one a couple of years ago, it mowed great, the problem was the drive system, it's the same system they put on the 21" mower, and it can't support the bigger machine. I sold it to a guy I work with, he mows 3 yards with it, and has had no trouble with it.

nmez21
03-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey, my neighbor has a 33" troy-bilt, he loves it and so do i. it seems like he's had it forever.

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
OK, well maybe I shouldn't run get the one I saw with the Robin engine.

Dang that sux. I would have thought the drive would be just fine.

TXLAWNBOY
03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I have 2 of the Troy Bilt 33" mowers and I love them, I do alot of residential props. and they give a good cut at a fair speed and the price is good also. The older one has the old B&S I/C going on 4 yrs old and no problems great engine. The newer one and all the new one's have a B&S Intek OHV engine, I have had some minor problems with it as well as another B&S Intek engine and am not a fan. I wish you could get it with a Kohler, Kaw., or a Honda as a option. The engine is the only thing keeping me from buying another.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Hey, is this what you are talking about?

http://www.troybilt.com/wcsstore/pics/TroyBilt/12AF754B766_lg.jpg

If so I saw two of them last week for the first time.
Those are new to me.
I didn't give them a good look though...
Too busy drooling over a tractor.

TXLAWNBOY
03-02-2006, 01:34 AM
That's the one. Does any one know much about the Billy Goat 33"? All I know about it is that it has the same crappy B&S engine, you would think that the industry guys that read how much most of us on here hate's B&S would start making the same units w/diff. engine choices.

Envy, if you do residentials w/small gates this is a great mower for the $.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 02:14 AM
The quick 36 looks a little better to me than the Billy Goat.
The Billy Goat 24" looks interesting though.

As far as the Briggs Engines, I love the ones I buy... but that engine isn't one of them.

I only buy the ones with the 2 year commercial warranty.
Vanguards and Commercial Use I/C

That means that if they are red, the shroud is metal.
Otherwise the shrouds are all black.

Some of them tell you right on the engine.
Others, you have to check the warranty papers.

Those other engines like that one are the ones Briggs builds to elcheapo specs of the mower MFG's in order to meet their pricing cutoff.

Oh yeah... the Quick 36 is now available with a Kawasaki too.

indy2tall
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Envy,

You might want to check out Sarlo mowers. The website is www.sarlomower.com and they are a similar design (single blade) to the Snapper. They have a 26" and a 30" but they use a bigger engine which I believe is a 11.5 hp B&S. I am going to try and demo one this year as a trim mower. The 26" weighs somewhere around 200 pounds and the 30" is about 250 pounds.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I saw that site a while back.

I haven't seen a dealer of them though.
But I'm not dieing for a trim mower either, so no pressures.
I can look around.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 04:12 PM
avoid it! the disk drive sys isnt tough enough for comm use.

OK 2 people say avoid the Snapper because of the disk drive.
I don't really understand the system.

So what is it specifically that goes wrong?

newz7151
03-02-2006, 04:24 PM
All I know about it is that it has the same crappy B&S engine, you would think that the industry guys that read how much most of us on here hate's B&S would start making the same units w/diff. engine choices.

If they did.. you wouldn't want to pay the much higher cost of it.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
If they did.. you wouldn't want to pay the much higher cost of it.

There is not that much price difference between any of the engines.
There certainly is not for the MFG who is buying bulk wholesale.

The minor RETAIL price difference between engine choices is purely 'percieved' value.
Offer it with an option many don't want...
But for a few hundred more here is what you do want...

saw man
03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I dont see how the disc drive system is so bad. I have used Snapper in the past and they hold up well.