PDA

View Full Version : LED lights and safety strobes

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I posted this some time ago and didn't really get any response.

Hopefully I will suceed in getting a tricked out trailer over the winter.

The LED lights and strobes are something I've decided I want to do on this trailer.
Could someone go a bit more in detail about the right way to go about it?
I guess I need to start at the truck itself and install all the proper stuff.

Basically I want to do this because I hear the lights are good, use less power, ect.

What I really want to do is have all the lights on the trailer be LED.
Then I want like a safety strobe mounted up on a pole.
This way I can leave it running when parked curbside or whatever.
Get attention for safety without running the battery down...

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Great Idea , but winters almost over so you better get moving

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 03:02 AM
Not exactly sure what your asking but www.awdirect.com has good selection of safety and warning lights.

duke99
03-01-2006, 03:12 AM
envy lawn service - ive got 4 (able 2 ) led microlights that are connected to a lawn tractor battery ... whenever im on the roadside i just flip the toggle switch located by the rear tailight and .. bam instant warning ... and i can leave them on for hours and no dead battery which is in the inside strapped down ...

BSDeality
03-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I just recently added 4 Whelen TIR6 amber LED's with clear lenses to my F350. I put two in teh front grill and 2 in the rear tool box. They are so much easier to wire up than halogen strobes because you don't have to mount and wire the powersupply. Everything is self contained in the LEDS. Just add a fused switch and you're good to go.

The trailer is going to get some sort of LED light(s). I'm just not sure what yet. I as thinking of a set of Whelen TIR3's on the rear of the fenders to keep them protected. You want to put them up high as possible. I might get a LED beacon to mount to the top of my trimmer rack (360 degree coverage). I'm a little hesitant because it is so exposed to branches.

Either way it will be LEDs and they will be powered by a 12v battery on the trailer tongue which I already have for the breakaway system which is charged by the truck.

jt5019
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
I put the LED wic3's in my toolbox sometime last summer. I got them mainly because the amp draw is so low compared to strobes.... 0.8 Amps (Max).

When im plowing all night with my heat blasted and headlights on the LED lights have little effect on my battery and are very bright.

They were very easy to wire one power wire and one ground no power supply needed . Just wire to the truck battery and then to a switch in the cab.

jt5019
03-01-2006, 12:21 PM
This is them when turned on (sorry its a little bright out)

jt5019
03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
And this is what they look like off

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
those led's look good JT.... heres a pic of mine

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
here they are on....

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the pics guys!

Great Idea , but winters almost over so you better get moving

Yeah, I know, tell be about it!
I have several things I need to get my arse in gear and do...

Not exactly sure what your asking but www.awdirect.com has good selection of safety and warning lights.

I checked out that link. Thanks! Seems like they have most of what I'm looking for if I want to put it together piece by piece...

envy lawn service - ive got 4 (able 2 ) led microlights that are connected to a lawn tractor battery ... whenever im on the roadside i just flip the toggle switch located by the rear tailight and .. bam instant warning ... and i can leave them on for hours and no dead battery which is in the inside strapped down ...

That's a heck of a good idea there. Probably real good in my case actually. My primary thing for considering the LED is the low power draw... But I also want my warning lights to look nice and professional you know? The separate battery idea really has my wheels turning now. No worries there about running down the battery you have to crank up with. Cool...

I just recently added 4 Whelen TIR6 amber LED's with clear lenses to my F350. I put two in teh front grill and 2 in the rear tool box. They are so much easier to wire up than halogen strobes because you don't have to mount and wire the powersupply. Everything is self contained in the LEDS. Just add a fused switch and you're good to go.

The trailer is going to get some sort of LED light(s). I'm just not sure what yet. I as thinking of a set of Whelen TIR3's on the rear of the fenders to keep them protected. You want to put them up high as possible. I might get a LED beacon to mount to the top of my trimmer rack (360 degree coverage). I'm a little hesitant because it is so exposed to branches.

Either way it will be LEDs and they will be powered by a 12v battery on the trailer tongue which I already have for the breakaway system which is charged by the truck.

Yes, that's just what I'm getting at. Not sure if I will add lights to the truck, maybe, but I want them on the trailer.... all the trailer lights LED makes sense to me. (?)

I also want a small beacon up high. That's crutial. I don't want to be lit up like a christmas tree or anything. But I want a few lights that just really grab the attention and mark me well with no confusion from too many lights.

Then I need the beacon up higher due to the hills we have around here. I have some places where the streets are narrow and hilly, and I must park in the street under the crest of a hill. One of them is sometimes my last stop. Eventually someone might crest that hill and run right in the back of my trailer if I don't get a beacon up.

Ideally, I'd like to find some with the strobe-like flash pattern like they put on emergency vehicles. The random rapid flash seems to be quite effective...

BSDeality
03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
what you're looking for is called a "smart LED". they've the ones with the built in flash patterns. The ones on my truck are simple Triple Flash and Alternate sides. I'll see if i can make a movie. nothing too rapid flash as I feel it draws the eye and people actually get closer to you (object fixation)

I do know what you're saying with the pole mount, i had a mail truck drive up my trailer gate a couple years ago after she ran over a road cone too.

BSDeality
03-02-2006, 03:16 PM
here is a quick 4 second clip I just shot. its in .mov format, sorry thats all I can do right now. I was delibrately looking down on them so they didn't glare too much in the camera. they are incredibly bright, you can't look at them for too long or you'll get spots in your vision.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
What can you watch MOV format with?

My windows media player is being a brat and won't play it.

BSDeality
03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
quicktime or Itunes

FIRESCOOBY
03-02-2006, 06:20 PM
If you want a beacon on a pole you can still get LED. The light in the link below is very good. It is made by Whelen. We have them on the rear of our fire apparatus. They have different flash patterns as well.

Don't mess with strobes. They are getting antiquated.

http://www.parrpse.com/page2.html

jt5019
03-02-2006, 07:25 PM
If you want a beacon on a pole you can still get LED. The light in the link below is very good. It is made by Whelen. We have them on the rear of our fire apparatus. They have different flash patterns as well.

Don't mess with strobes. They are getting antiquated.

http://www.parrpse.com/page2.html

I was thinking about getting that led light to replace my roof strobe. It's quite pricey but i saw them on the new State DOT plows and they look awesome.

duke99
03-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Envy Lawn Service --- over the weekend i will get a pic of mine .... i did the installation ... and it is very professional .. but actually what im thinkin about doin .. instead of the seperate battery idea ... just run up a extra trailer pig tail along side of your regular harness and connect the other side to the battery in your truck so when you connect your trailer to your truck .. and plug in your electric harness you will plug both your clearance lights and your warning lights nn .. there just seperatly controlled ..

actually i was told all warning lights in LED.. have went up in price !!!