PDA

View Full Version : Time wasting estimates GRRRRR

promower
03-01-2006, 12:55 AM
I did an estimate a few months ago for a really big job (school district). I spent a good deal of time on it, around 10-12 hours. I recently found out by someone whos involved with the school district that every 3 years they bid the job out and basically open up the bid, and throw it in a filing cabinet just to have on record. Apparently the school already knew they were staying with the same guy who I guess has done it for several years. The school just needs to have bids put in every so often. I wasnt planning on getting the job so I wasnt bummed at all, it just makes me a little upset that they knew, for a fact that they werent switching LCO's. Why waste the time of all the companies going out and doing a very time consuming bid? The only reason I can figure is if this guy goes under they have a list of companies to try and fill the job with. Thats fine but it would be nice to know that I'm bidding a job to be a back up for the current LCO.

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-01-2006, 02:25 AM
You've been at this long enough to know that this is the way of the business. Get used to it. Get over it. Pop open a brew, sit in your favorite chair and relax a while. Things will look better tomorrow. :headphones:

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 03:12 AM
I spent a good deal of time on it, around 10-12 hours. I wasnt planning on getting the job Why waste the time of all the companies going out and doing a very time consuming bid? .

You must be very bored this time of year to spend that much time on a bid if you werent planning on landing it.

LwnmwrMan22
03-01-2006, 05:03 AM
I did an estimate a few months ago for a really big job (school district). I spent a good deal of time on it, around 10-12 hours. I recently found out by someone whos involved with the school district that every 3 years they bid the job out and basically open up the bid, and throw it in a filing cabinet just to have on record. Apparently the school already knew they were staying with the same guy who I guess has done it for several years. The school just needs to have bids put in every so often. I wasnt planning on getting the job so I wasnt bummed at all, it just makes me a little upset that they knew, for a fact that they werent switching LCO's. Why waste the time of all the companies going out and doing a very time consuming bid? The only reason I can figure is if this guy goes under they have a list of companies to try and fill the job with. Thats fine but it would be nice to know that I'm bidding a job to be a back up for the current LCO.

Where in WI are you??? Was it the Somerset school district???

If it was... I bid against you.... :waving: :laugh:

dcplace2004
03-01-2006, 05:51 AM
to scam the public into thinking they are getting something free...it is at the very least false advertising...I explain to present and potential customers that estimate prices are added into the price of the final charge...I use the analogy "so, furniture stores say that the delivery is free...well, do you think that the delivery drivers with spouses, children, etc drive hundreds of miles for free?...do you think they volunteer their work and do you think that the company truck expenses such as fuel are free...well, neither are the estimates...they agree and go with me cause they feel deceived by the others...unbelievable...

Big M LawnnSnow
03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
DC Hmmmm but if you don't get the job isn't the estimate then free?
If you look at that new livingroom set for 3 hours with the salesman and don't buy it didn't you waste his time and get a free estimate?
It's all part of the business.

dcplace2004
03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
If gas goes up or other costs occur, do you think that grocery stores, department stores, taxi services, plumbing services, etc, just eat the cost?...do you think that when there are operating costs (and estimates are operating costs) that you should just say "oh well, did not get the job, such as life." Customers pay, somewhere, someway, in the cost of the service/goods--period...if you think otherwise, then perhaps you should take a few more business classes...when I drive 20 to 30 minutes to an estimate, that is time, and time is money amigo...Time is worth at least a dollar a minute while on an estimate...

LwnmwrMan22
03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
If gas goes up or other costs occur, do you think that grocery stores, department stores, taxi services, plumbing services, etc, just eat the cost?...do you think that when there are operating costs (and estimates are operating costs) that you should just say "oh well, did not get the job, such as life." Customers pay, somewhere, someway, in the cost of the service/goods--period...if you think otherwise, then perhaps you should take a few more business classes...when I drive 20 to 30 minutes to an estimate, that is time, and time is money amigo...Time is worth at least a dollar a minute while on an estimate...

Do you have a clause, that states something along the lines of estimates $30, but if the job is awarded, $30 will be discounted from the first bill??

Other than that, unless you're getting a check when you do the estimate, how do you say you're not giving someone a free estimate??

I understand that you're getting paid for your time from the company, or however you work it out, but if that customer that you just gave the estimate to doesn't hire you, nor gives you any money, then in the customer's eyes, they got a free estimate, correct?

Remsen1
03-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I think both you guys know what each other mean so stop peeing in each others Cherios.

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 12:06 PM
If the bid was for a public entity then the bids are open to the public to see.
So now you know that next time instead of spending hrs. ask to see the last bid. You can believe the new bid will be with in a couple hundred dollars of what its been. So if you can't compete then don't waste your time. I just call the schoos or govt. props that send a bid sheet to include a list of the last bidders and there prices. 90% are willling to send them the other 10% I ask that my name be taken off there bidder list :hammerhead: