PDA

View Full Version : Liquid cooled Kohlers?

Willofalltrades
03-01-2006, 01:26 AM
One question: Why do mower manufacturers not equip their compact and medium size ZTRs with Kohler's liquid cooled Aegis motors instead of all air cooled. I wouldn't mind the option of the 24hp Liquid cooled Kohler in my future Scag, Exmark, or Toro. I am sure the price would hike up a lot but my opinion is it is worth it.

MOW ED
03-01-2006, 08:22 AM
I am certainly not an expert or industry consultant but I think you partially answered your question. Many people have had great luck with air cooled engines of many different manufacturers. Some of the reasons are as you said, cost but others are space requirements, contracts with vendors and user preference. I personally do not mow 6 days a week for 8 hours a day so air cooled is a nice compromise. That is my opinion, BTW I have 2 26 HP Kohler EFI engines that are very reliable.

Richard Martin
03-01-2006, 08:44 AM
I think it's cost and a lack of engine selection. Most mowers use a verticle engine and Kohler only has a 20 and a 24. With only cheaper mowers using anything under 25 hp these days the Aegis isn't really an option to consider for 60" and up mowers which is where most sales are.