PDA

View Full Version : Best Time to Seed in NC

cwlawley
03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
I have a couple of clients that have been asking about wiping there current "weeds" out and starting over from scratch in Raleigh, NC. I was wondering what the best time is to do this? Probably using tall fescue.

PMLAWN
03-01-2006, 07:12 AM
In the future, or in the past. either way is the same-- 6 months:laugh:

Thats the best. but if you have to do it spring is good (just can not stop the weeds from starting also).
Best for you now is to sell it now, kill off what you want gone, (you are licenced, right ) and than plant the seed. Tell them that there is little you can do now to stop the weeds because it will kill the new grass also. As the grass grows you can start working with the weeds and in fall do a plug and overseed- next spring do the full plan with the pre-em in early spring.
You should get a good base of grass before the crab gets really going and will still be able to fight that.

cwlawley
03-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the information. I'll be starting soon!

MMLawn
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
The very best time is Sept-Oct. You can do it in Raleigh still now IF you go ahead right now before the temps rise so high. I would also slit seed it for the best results. If you down have a slit seeder you can rent one at several places in Wake. Also make sure they keep it well watered for at least 10-12 days after the seeding for germination and make dang sure they don't water it after 3PM! When you seed put down a good fert also to help.

JT1304
03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, are't the water restrictions still on?!? I think you can only water in Raleigh twice a week.......I think.:confused:

cwlawley
03-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Probably. God only knows! Seems like every day something else is happening in this town. Thanks for the information guys. I am probably going to get out there the next two days and get it done. I will work on a good fertilization plan for the remainder of this year and next year. Hopefully with time I cn control the weeds and get the growth I need.