PDA

View Full Version : Painting my utility trailer

howardsells2000
03-01-2006, 02:59 AM
I just bought a 5X10 utility trailer with 2' metel sides. Of course it's black. My truck is white and I would like to paint the trailer to match. If I paint over the existing black paint will my white paint stick or will constantly peel off? I don't want to spend a lot of money but I thought it might look more profesional that color.

duke99
03-01-2006, 03:18 AM
if i were you get brush on (Rustoleum ) in the quart sized cans ... best stuff ever to use on trailers .... i just repainted 2 of my landscaping trailers safety red and gloss black ..... DONT USE SPRAY ON .... wont hold up .... get the BRUSH ON kind ... and its oil base so rain water glides right offf ..........

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 03:21 AM
oh man..... Do you really want a white landscape trailer?? Man that thing will be a son of a gun to keep clean. I think white truck will look good with black trailer. Otherwise the right way would be to sand, prime and paint it. I wouldnt recommend just painting over the Black. Will look like crap in no time. It's just like anything else, its only gonna look as good as the amount of time and effort you put into it.

duke99
03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
hey .... got a bettter idea ... how about take your trailer to maaco .. and have them put a $8,000 dollar translucent paint job on ... and put wheel spinners on ... LOL .... seen a trailer the other day with em on it ... FUNNT SITE to see .

grass_cuttin_fool
03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
if i were you get brush on (Rustoleum ) in the quart sized cans ... best stuff ever to use on trailers .... i just repainted 2 of my landscaping trailers safety red and gloss black ..... DONT USE SPRAY ON .... wont hold up .... get the BRUSH ON kind ... and its oil base so rain water glides right offf ..........

I use the same paint, and brush it on with great results. Black is a good unversal color and so is white. If you plan on lettering the truck will it be with black lettering? If so that would kinda match the trailer, just a thought

wayne

gammon landscaping
03-02-2006, 12:11 AM
i painted two of my trailers this winter. the best way to paint it is with paint made for tractors. i get it at a local hardware store. i spray it on with an automobile spray gun. works great and easy to do. the good thing about the tractor paint is it goes on thick and stays. it is made to take a beaten and keep on ticken

howardsells2000
03-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Madstriper
03-02-2006, 12:58 AM
If you really want it to look nice, find a sandblaster to blast it, prime it, and then spray it with Bobcat (as in the trackhoes, skidsteers) white. Its a good quality paint, but the only way to make it last and look good to proper prep. If the paint is peeling, cracking, or scratched up, that will show through if you just paint it. If nothing else, hit the whole thing with a wire brush, blow it off, wipe it down with acetone, or thinner, or MEK, then put on a good paint, like others said, Rustoleum or a tractor type paint will work well.
Or, if you have it sandblasted, you can have it painted with auto paint with a few extra coats of clear, could use the same paint code as your trucks paint.

G.M.Landscaping
03-02-2006, 01:27 AM
I agree with the Rust oleum paint. I painted my flatbed with it. It seemed to take forever with a brush, and was leaving brush strokes, so I bought a 3" mini foam roller and used that. The job went so much faster and the paint laid out so nice. I would highly recommend that roller. Buy some matching spray paint for the hard to reach spots.

Not liking white for the color either. Maybe Charcoal?

NEPSJay
03-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Just blast it then powercoat it and be done with it.:D