PDA

View Full Version : Just got my 7x16 in, but my 6truck wont pull it.

instyle
03-01-2006, 07:38 AM
I got my 7x16 enclosed trailer in. On Friday I bought a 94 Chev 1500 4x4, I hook it up and pull it down the high way and wow, I have to keep it in 3rd gear to keep 62mph. The truck has 5 gears (auto). This thing pulls like 3 tons of bricks. Not to mention the trailer is empty right now.

Should it be this hard or is there a problem with my truck?

ALarsh
03-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Look at it this way, now you have a great excuse to get a new truck.

instyle
03-01-2006, 07:55 AM
But, I just bought the damn thing. :)

I kinda like it.

eshreve1234
03-01-2006, 07:58 AM
My 7x16 only weighs 2000 lbs or so empty, and my truck does not even know its there ('01 F250). So, I would have to say its your truck.

Splicer
03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
How many miles on the truck?:confused:

topdog
03-01-2006, 08:07 AM
sounds like tranny problems to me, but i am no expert.

it shouldn't have a problem pulling even with a load on the trailer.

lawn masters 2006
03-01-2006, 08:41 AM
wht kind of motor u got?

work_it
03-01-2006, 08:47 AM
wht kind of motor u got?
That's what I was wondering. Even the 6 cylinder W/T's shouldn't have much of a problem pulling an empty trailer. Next question....what's your differential gear ratio?

FSully
03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Parking Brake on?

Trailer brakes draging?

Overdrive turned off?

velocicaur
03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
You will need to stay in third to carry any speed and its better for the tranny to do so rather than shifting all the time everytime you need to gain some speed.

work_it
03-01-2006, 09:08 AM
You will need to stay in third to carry any speed and its better for the tranny to do so rather than shifting all the time everytime you need to gain some speed.
It's an automatic transmission.:hammerhead:

SPLC
03-01-2006, 09:13 AM
It's an automatic transmission.:hammerhead:

Yes, put it in third so the auto doesn't have to shift into and out of 4th and overdrive. Easier on the trans.

My guess is that you have 3.07 or 3.23 gears or something like that. It's a tough call, switching gears to 3.73 or 4.10 will let you pull easier, but will kill your mileage when not pulling a trailer. Plus gear swaps in a 4x4 cost $$$$$.

Doug Z.
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
When I first started, I had an '85 Chevy s-10. I bought a 7x12' Chilton Trailer. It was a heavy trailer. I used to load the thing with 1 and 1/2 yards of stone/topsoil, or 6 cyds of mulch. Yeah the truck had to work, but it pulled it. When I was pulling mowers and such, it never had a problem. that is until I ordered my new one. From then on, I didnt know if it was going to make it until my new one came in....Your truck should pull it pretty decent... What size motor do ou have??? Oh, by the way, the motor I had in the s-10 was the 2.8.

instyle
03-01-2006, 02:41 PM
It is Pace American Trailer, I think it weighs 2200# empty. I have a 350ci with auto tranny. I have 260km or 160k miles on it. It runs great, but once I put the trailer on it, it is a real dog. Driving on the highway in third at 3000rpm if I had to pass someone I couldn't do it.

At 60mph it revs at 1900 rpm in overdrive with no trailer.

I never had the brakes hooked up yet, so maybe they were set up wrong at the factory and they are dragging.

I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Luvs2Play
03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
1994 Chevy 1500? Owners manual says to never pull a trailer in OD, no matter which engine you have. Transmission fluid will boil, causing transmission failure when shifting in and out of OD. Always pull in 3rd.

LawnBrother
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I think there is something wrong with your truck. Anything with a V8 should have little or no problem pulling a 7 X 16 loaded, much less empty. You might just be low on transmission fluid, but there might be something else wrong. Also, like luvs2play said, don't tow in OD. JMO, Good luck with it, though.

TLS
03-01-2006, 04:07 PM
You likely have 3.73's or 3.42's for gears.

You need to tow in 3rd.

You have a 4L60E FOUR speed automatic transmission. Not a 5speed.

Do you have oversized tires on it?

baddboygeorge
03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
i have a chevy van 3500 with the vortec 350 an its the 155 inch extended van.an its also got the auto transmission an i pull a 16 foot enclosed leaf rig with it an she pulls very well full of leaves . i can have a full load an she cruises nicely at 70-75 . hope this helps see ya george

topdog
03-01-2006, 06:07 PM
my v6 sport track can pulls my trailer with just one more on it, and i never even notice it. so, there is diffently something wrong with your truck

Sin City Lawn Care
03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I know its a newer year but i have a 2003 Silverado Auto with the 5.3L Vortec.

Pulled a 2200# Trailer and a 3500# car on the trailer for 300 miles and had no problems going from a 0-80-0. Truck is rated for 8500# though.

I would check for tranny problems.

A 350c.i. motor should be able to pull 2200# and not even blink at the load.

SPLC
03-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Also, it's important to note that the trailer is enclosed. Pulling an open trailer of comparible weight would not be bad, but the enclosed one is a whole different story. I've got a 8.5x20 Haulmark and I call it the sail, because when I pull it at speed, it's like having a sail back there. No matter how much HP you have, you still have to displace the air. That's your enemy - the air, not the weight.

JMO

Jason Rose
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
I had a '93 with a 350 V-8 and it didn't like towing anything... Yes keep it in 3rd. Like TLS said it's a 3 speed with o/d. If I towed even an empty trailer for more than 30 miles or so the tranny fluid would get hot and expand and pee out of the vent. Of course then I'd have tranny fluid all over the underside of the truck and the front of the trailer :angry: And that was towing mostly in 3rd. Since it was an EMPTY and rather small (6.5 x 12) open trailer with a ramp, I would often pull in o/d. It did fine in town but didnt have much 'get up and go' and on the highway I couldn't maintain speed in o/d, always had to kick it into 3rd.

Nothing like having the engine running at 3,200 rpm to burn gas though!

Natures Image
03-01-2006, 07:24 PM
1/2 ton truck compared to a 3/4 ton truck big difference in pulling power if it has a break controller for trailer ck that it might be appliying to much breaks

befnme
03-01-2006, 07:34 PM
you have transmision probs . i had a '97 dodge ram automatic with the 5.7 l in it and with 150+ thousand miles i could not tow my 18 ' bow rider boat more than 60 or so and that was in 3rd gear @ near about max rpm's . i had the tranny rebuilt and wha - lah it would pull h3ll and high water then .

LawnMowerMan3875
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I agree with FSully on his suggestions. I would also recommend that you keep your tranny out of overdrive when you are loaded. This keeps the torque level at optimal load ranges. In other words. Keeps from burning up your overdrive and possibly your tranny.

Oh, Sorry.
I am LawnMowerMan3875. I just started my lawncare business in 2005. I had a pretty good year for my first and I am hoping it keeps growing. But to let you all know, I am a 20 year veteran in the automotive industry as well as small engine technology. I hope we all can share information and suggestions real soon.

Thank You,
LMM.

CC Lawncare
03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I have a 8' x 24' enclosed and as everyone has already stated, something is wrong with your truck for sure. I will tell you that you will shorten the life of even a "normal" tranny and gas engine once you are fully loaded if you pull many hills. I have a chevy 1500 4x4 and a GMC 1500 4x4 for pulling small open trailers but I use a Ford Dually Diesel for the enclosed pulling. With a diesel, you don't even know the trailer is there most of the time. If you keep the truck you now have, I would suggest getting it checked out at a garage asap, before the season gets any closer. Best of luck.

RedWingsDet
03-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, its gotta be your truck.

2 years ago I pulled a 16ft trailer with a dixie chopper and 48" walkbehind on it with a 98 Dakota v6. And your truck is bigger and more powerful, so its gotta be your truck. I'd get it looked at before your sitting on the side of the road with a trailer full of a bunch of expensive equipment.

instyle
03-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the responces guys. I just have to say that I do pull it in third. I just tried overdrive to see if it would stay in that gear.
Yeah I guess it is my truck. I will have to take it in and have it looked at.
Thanks for the help.

TLS
03-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Still waiting for this to be answered.

TJBlandscaping
03-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone new guy here just putting in my opinion. I have a Chevy 1500 and I pull a 7x14 enclosed pace have i have no problem pulling it even when the bed is full of grass and 2 exmark 48s in the trailer.

PMLAWN
03-02-2006, 10:49 AM
You likely have 3.73's or 3.42's for gears.

You need to tow in 3rd.

You have a 4L60E FOUR speed automatic transmission. Not a 5speed.

Do not go to the dealer, crawl under it. Yes it is the truck but there may be nothing wrong with it but was not built to tow.

"1/2 ton truck compared to a 3/4 ton truck big difference in pulling power " By Natures Image

This has nothing to do with it.

The only thing that matters is the gear ratio. And many things make up the ratio. Answer TLS's questions and you will have your answer.
Tall tires and high final gear(low #'s) will kill ya

PaulJ
03-02-2006, 01:33 PM
If you haven't hooked up the trailer brakes yet there may be a breakaway that has the trailer brakes ON. Or like said the trans might be going. Get the trailer brakes working properly and get an aux trans cooler on the truck after having the trans checked.

SamTheLawnMan
03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
I know this is a lil' off the subject but, I have an '01 Tacoma. I have no problem pulling my 6X12 enclosed trailer......BUT I can't stop the thing....LOL
J/K it stops "ok", but if I really had to get on the brakes it would be a disaster...:eek:

work_it
03-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I know this is a lil' off the subject but, I have an '01 Tacoma. I have no problem pulling my 6X12 enclosed trailer......BUT I can't stop the thing....LOL
J/K it stops "ok", but if I really had to get on the brakes it would be a disaster...:eek:
Does your tailer have breaks?

SamTheLawnMan
03-02-2006, 04:19 PM
The trailer didn't come with brakes but I would think that they could be added. RIGHT??

work_it
03-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Yes, they can be added, and I strongly recommend it. I would also consider buying a Prodigy brake controller when you have them installed.

*side note*
-you're going to find a lot of different brands of brake controllers once you start looking into it. Don't make it a rushed decision. Take some time and research it now (in the off season) to find what would work best for you. This is certainly not something you're going to want to skimp on. Buy the best one you can afford.

I read a lot of great reviews on the Tekonsha Prodigy before I decided on it. There is a couple better ones on the market, but they weren't what I needed.

You may want to consider looking into a breakaway brake controller as another precaution.

Here's a good site to start doing price comparisons. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches-tow-bars-dollys-1.htm#Brake%20Controls%20-%20Kelsey%20-%20Hayes

PMLAWN
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes, they can be added, and I strongly recommend it. I would also consider buying a Prodigy brake controller when you have them installed.

*side note*
-you're going to find a lot of different brands of brake controllers once you start looking into it. Don't make it a rushed decision. Take some time and research it now (in the off season) to find what would work best for you. This is certainly not something you're going to want to skimp on. Buy the best one you can afford.

I read a lot of great reviews on the Tekonsha Prodigy before I decided on it. There is a couple better ones on the market, but they weren't what I needed.

You may want to consider looking into a breakaway brake controller as another precaution.

Here's a good site to start doing price comparisons. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches-tow-bars-dollys-1.htm#Brake%20Controls%20-%20Kelsey%20-%20Hayes

Ditto on the Prodigy. Any good camping store will have it.

work_it
03-02-2006, 05:16 PM
And if you can't find it at a camping store you can also look at marine/boat dealers, R/V dealers, any place that carries trailer supplies, (sometimes) U-Haul places have them. I just found it much easier to buy mine online.

SamTheLawnMan
03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Thank you guys for taking the time to tell me about the options I have. I will definitely look into brakes for my trailer real soon. I have a customer that I cut for that is a big-wig for the local RV store.....Maybe he can help me out :) Thanks again for the info

B&D Lawn Care
03-02-2006, 06:56 PM
A bigger trailer was all the excuse I needed to get a bigger truck.

"Oh btw dear, that lil ranger ain't gonna pull that 7x12 dump trailer" :)

instyle
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
sorry for the delay guys.
No I am not running taller tires, just the 16 inch Z71 Alloys, I think they are 265/70's. I do have a break away switch on the trailer, but I would assume that only if the wire is pulled will it lock the brakes. I have not hooked them up yet, so that is my next step, I will hook up the power and have the brakes checked.
I would probably have a high rear end ratio....saying this because at 60mph I am running 17-1800 rpm.

Here is what gets me......60 mph = approx 1800 rpm, if i were to pass someone, with out really getting on it, it will shift out of overdrive and rev at approx 2500rpm. If I were to manually put it into Drive, it will run at 3000rpm. Meaning there is a gear between drive and overdrive. (this senario is without the trailer)

hosejockey2002
03-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Here's my take on this whole thing. He said in the title of thread "my 6truck won't pull it". I take this to mean he has a V6. It's a 4.3, same motor that they used in the S10s. Good engine, it just is not going to like pulling a 7x16 enclosed. Big difference between pulling an open trailer and an enclosed, especially on the freeway, and especially with 3.42 gears and 160 hp. It is a four speed automatic, the 2500 rpm vs. 3000 thing he was observing is the torque converter unlocking and locking. When that happens, it seems like it shifts gears. Also, the 265/70 Z71 tires are probably taller then the stock tires. Again, I'm assuming this is a V6 work truck. But whether you have a V6 or V8, leave it in 3rd, not OD when towing.

work_it
03-03-2006, 12:48 AM
hosejockey, I think you're right on the money with the 3.42 gear ratio w/ the 4 speed auto. My extra/backup truck is an old chevy c-10, w/ the 350, and 4 speed auto 3.42 ratio. Pulling a trailer with that truck was nerve racking; especially when I had to go up a steep hill to a customers house. Out on the highway it would cruise along fine until I came to an incline and could expect the truck to start slowing down. It sucked having to get a run at a slight incline on an expressway.:realmad: :realmad:

PMLAWN
03-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Here's my take on this whole thing. He said in the title of thread "my 6truck won't pull it". I take this to mean he has a V6. It's a 4.3, same motor that they used in the S10s. Good engine, it just is not going to like pulling a 7x16 enclosed. Big difference between pulling an open trailer and an enclosed, especially on the freeway, and especially with 3.42 gears and 160 hp. It is a four speed automatic, the 2500 rpm vs. 3000 thing he was observing is the torque converter unlocking and locking. When that happens, it seems like it shifts gears. Also, the 265/70 Z71 tires are probably taller then the stock tires. Again, I'm assuming this is a V6 work truck. But whether you have a V6 or V8, leave it in 3rd, not OD when towing.

Right, but for the motor. He already said 350? but with the 305-350 they will put a gear that is higher than what a 6 will get. The tires are too tall. 235's -55's will be better. The torque converter deal is right.
This truck was never built to tow, it was built for gas mileage, and the tires are hurting it even more.
One place to check is the 4x4 system. turned on it will add extra drag at all times. Check to see if it is truly disengaging when you hit the button.

mr.we.mow.grass
03-03-2006, 07:17 AM
I got my 7x16 enclosed trailer in. On Friday I bought a 94 Chev 1500 4x4, I hook it up and pull it down the high way and wow, I have to keep it in 3rd gear to keep 62mph. The truck has 5 gears (auto). This thing pulls like 3 tons of bricks. Not to mention the trailer is empty right now.

Should it be this hard or is there a problem with my truck?

I have a 98 z71 that I had some simular problems with. I think the 98 has a diff engine then the 94, but it can not be that much diff. you need to check some things on your truck, 1) fuel filter 2) plugs and wires 3) maybe fuel pump, chevy trucks are the worst for fuel pump problems. If it makes you feel any better my partner has a 2005 ford f150 5.4 engine like $40000 worth! We went to Dallas to pick up some equipment pulling a 8.5x16 foot enclosed trailer, it would not pull it over 78 mph and got 6 miles to the gal. My Z71 will haul the mail with it once I figured out the fuel pump was killing the truck.
hope this helps
mel

Paradise Landscapes
03-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Heres' a tranny situation: I put it in reverse, tap the gas, it slams in reverse.
My truck is a 1991 GMC with a 4.3 Engine. the tranny is automatic.

instyle
03-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Yeah I was talking to the tranny guys in town here and they said "being that I am getting to 60 mph, it likly isn't the tranny" then they lsted off things like "fuel filter, fuel pump, cat. converter" I am going to look at the pump first. with 160k miles it could be slowing down.

Also, the truck is a V8 I made a typo in the title. Sorry.

John Gamba
03-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Yeah I was talking to the tranny guys in town here and they said "being that I am getting to 60 mph, it likly isn't the tranny" then they lsted off things like "fuel filter, fuel pump, cat. converter" I am going to look at the pump first. with 160k miles it could be slowing down.

Also, the truck is a V8 I made a typo in the title. Sorry.

If its the cat's clogging--check your oxygen sensor.

PMLAWN
03-03-2006, 09:45 AM
If it makes you feel any better my partner has a 2005 ford f150 5.4 engine like $40000 worth! We went to Dallas to pick up some equipment pulling a 8.5x16 foot enclosed trailer, it would not pull it over 78 mph and got 6 miles to the gal. mel
1/2 ton truck-- small V8, and you are surprised it ONLY goes 78mph.:confused:
With a 60 sq.foot wall behind ya.:hammerhead:

work_it
03-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Heres' a tranny situation: I put it in reverse, tap the gas, it slams in reverse.
My truck is a 1991 GMC with a 4.3 Engine. the tranny is automatic.
With so little detail it's hard to know. I'll go out on a limb and say that it's not your tranny you're hearing. Sounds like you need to check the gears in your rear differential for missing teeth or excessive wear.

Paradise Landscapes
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
With so little detail it's hard to know. I'll go out on a limb and say that it's not your tranny you're hearing. Sounds like you need to check the gears in your rear differential for missing teeth or excessive wear.

I can feel the tranny slam in reverse.

work_it
03-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I can feel the tranny slam in reverse.
Like I said, too little information. I have a chevy that does the same thing. When mine "slams into reverse" it's because of the drive shaft travel before it catches a gear.

John Gamba
03-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Universals??

Paradise Landscapes
03-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Is that normal?

work_it
03-03-2006, 01:05 PM
No, it's not normal, and yes John, it could also be the universals.