PDA

View Full Version : Does the tank have to be cleaned after Revolver?

Triple R
03-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I sprayed a lawn with revolver out of a 100 gal. skid and was wondering if I needed to clean the tank before using it on Fescue? I used all of the Revolver that was in the tank and ran a little water to get what was in the pump and hose out. I know I still have some residue in the tank but if I add enough water/preemergent to do 1 to 1.5 acres will it be diluted enough to not harm the Fescue? I usualy don't flush any of my spayers when switching chemicals but was wondering about the revolver because it states on the label to wash out the tank after spraying.

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I was wondering about the revolver because it states on the label to wash out the tank after spraying.

I think you answered your own question here.... I have always made it a habit to wash out my tanks regardless of what I had in them. My thinking is this. I've made it a habit to do it now and I'm less likely to forget to do it when It is really warranted. Plus I can sleep better at night knowing that my investment is clean and ready to go when i need them.

Triple R
05-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I ended up spraying without cleaning the tank and recently did the same after having roundup in the tank. Results have been no visible effects. The way I see it is that what ever residue is left in the tank is further diluted once I refill the tank. So if I have a couple of onces of roundup in the tank and I mix a tank to spray an acre of turf that would be .0459 once roundup per k of turf. I have rarely washed any of my sprayers and most likely will not start washing them but I don't mix my shrub sprayers with any turf herbicides just to be on the safe side.

ThreeWide
05-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Revolver is a sulfronurea (sp) herbicide. In general, that class of herbicides can be lethal even at very low doses. Case in point, Revolver is sometimes mixed at 0.2 oz per gallon.

When I use Revolver, Certainty, etc, I always either rinse the tank or run it through another cycle of herbicdes on warm season turf before spraying any cool season turf. For example if you sprayed another tank full of Trimec the next day on Bermuda that would be enough to remove the residual.

Nitroman
05-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Here is my question, I use triplet and spike with quick silver. Now if I leave 20 gal of mix in there or a full tank for a couple weeks what is the harm in that? The way I see it thats money in there, am I damaging the tank or pump by not flushing it out?

ThreeWide
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Many will tell you that leaving herbicides in your tank and pump is not a good idea since it could deteriorate the system over time.

I have no evidence to support it, but heard this many times.

Recently I had trouble with my spray guns due to buildup from various substances. I had failed to wash them out frequently and left the mix in the gun for days at a time. Won't do that again.