PDA

View Full Version : Stolen trimmer goes to court!

baddboygeorge
03-01-2006, 10:48 AM
finally the day has come for this shindiawa dealer.I went to court this morning due to a trimmer that i dropped off at a local shindiawa dealer that somehow got stolen. This all happened back in sept./oct. last year. i went to his shop several times an to no avail he offered nothing .About a week later i sent one of my employees down there to see about the trimmer an he told him not to come back an that he was not responsible for the trimmer.I just couldn't't except that so i took it a step farther an filed a criminal complaint on his business for stealing my trimmer . its a felony offense due to its value of over 300 dollars .By the way its a shindiawa t-350.Well 6 months later , today we go to court an the judge ruled in my favor .They presented an offer to me a few weeks ago of $250 dollars an i told them that doesn't't cover half of the trimmer an besides all the time that its taken to get a replacement. So today when i showed up they had a paper ready an wanted to see if i would agree to the terms.the agreement was that this dealer had a new trimmer for me an was the exact make an model. so i did agree with a few stipulations: one, that it is the exact make an model an two, that i can inspect an pick up tomm. at the police station .i also told the judge its kinda funny that he never offered me anything an here it is 6 months later after i sought legal assistance an what do ya know heres a new trimmer.i still think he deserves a felony because its b.s.! I will let you all know tomm on how this all plays out!! thanks george

MarcSmith
03-01-2006, 11:10 AM
good show....nice to see the little guy win one now and again....I don't see why the dealer did not just turn you over to his insurance company...

I woudl have pushed for "loss of use" as well as the time you spent having to jump through the hoops...you could have gotten two trimmers out of it....

I doubt you'll be using that dealer ever again....

NEPSJay
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
thats ridicilous....I'd go one step farther and contact Shindaiwa Corporate office in Oregon and tell them what kind of operation that dealer is really running. A phone call to the better biz bureau and the attorney general would have been made too.

palawnman
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
thats ridicilous....I'd go one step farther and contact Shindaiwa Corporate office in Oregon and tell them what kind of operation that dealer is really running. A phone call to the better biz bureau and the attorney general would have been made too.

I agree, I definitely would contact Shindaiwa about this. Thats just ridiculous that you would have to go through all that. I personally think that the dealer got off easy. You could consider that you had to work shorthanded for how many months, lost wages since you had to waste your time or employees time following up on it. Also did you have to pay a lawyer? Getting back to my original point, I definitely would contact somone at their corporate headquarters and also send a letter about this whole situation. Good luck with it.

Ron

Rev. Crabgrass
03-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Glad to hear you finally won that. Some dealers amaze me. How they stay in business with customer service like that is beyond me.

REV.

baddboygeorge
03-01-2006, 12:19 PM
i called shindiawa back when this all happened an talked to the rep that handles this territory. i was dissappointed with the way this guy actually handled the situation . i told the rep that this dealer doesn't need to be selling their product if he handles his business accordingly.i love shindiawa products but going thru this has really put a bad taste in my mouth for the future purchases an repairs that i may need .i just wanna see what happens tomm. an i hope like hell he has a t-350 an it better be nothing else.if he beats me around the bush tomm. with anything less i am gonna go back to the courthouse an file a warrant for stolen property of over 300 dollars .if i have to go that route i will seek loos of wages , replacement value,And i will make sure his ass has a felony! thanks for all the comments an will let you all know the end results tomm. thanks george

JB1
03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
what area is the dealer in there, don't want to get caught up in there. Hey did you get the brush piles burnt.

baddboygeorge
03-01-2006, 03:53 PM
hey man that dealer is here in my area . he is a real loser an very unprofessional businessman.As far as those piles go i havent been back cause its so wet an the onwer of the property is in no rush at all.its a project that i can see is gonna take awhile in all .hope you guys are doing well thanks george

baddboygeorge
03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
hey man that dealer is here in my area . he is a real loser an very unprofessional businessman.As far as those piles go i havent been back cause its so wet an the onwer of the property is in no rush at all.its a project that i can see is gonna take awhile in all .hope you guys are doing well thanks george

AUHort1990
03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I've often wondered about this situation. Some dealers around here have signs posted that say 'Not resonsible for lost or stolen equipment'. I always thought that was bull. Good for you for standing up for whats right and winning!

baddboygeorge
03-01-2006, 04:36 PM
if i go to a shop an see that i dont blink an eye i leave because it tells me one thing, that place an its people arn't very secure !!

baddboygeorge
03-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Well i recieved my new shindy t350 today. Glad this is over ,guys beware of your dealers ,ask questions before you leave your equipment with them, an always get a work order or receipt of equipment that has been dropped off, make sure that receipt has the make, model #& serial number.take pictures of your equipment an put the original sales receipt with the picture , that way if anything happens you have all your ducks in a row . see ya an thanks for the comments thanks george

MarcSmith
03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I'd go one step further and keep a copy(at least SN and descriptions) of this with you in your truck, that way if something should get lifted from your rig, you have all the info for the police right away.

and I would also engrave the equipment with your own asset number. Many of the SN on smaller two stroke machines are just decals which are easily removed.

baddboygeorge
03-03-2006, 11:04 AM
great suggestion , thanks for all the great remarks , george

jsf343
03-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I'd go one step further and keep a copy(at least SN and descriptions) of this with you in your truck, that way if something should get lifted from your rig, you have all the info for the police right away.

and I would also engrave the equipment with your own asset number. Many of the SN on smaller two stroke machines are just decals which are easily removed.

I never even thought about doing that, but it is a great idea. What would you engrave on it? license #? Probably a good idea to keep a copy in the truck AND at home or the shop. Thanks, just one more valuable tip I can use!

MarcSmith
03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
i engraved MJSLANDXXX where teh X's are numbers starting at 001 I usually engraved the shaft of the timmer, edger, frame/deck on a mower, and the blower housing on a back pack or hand held blower, gear box on gas shears

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't understand. If you wanted him to get the charges pressed anyway, even if you got a new trimmer, (which is what I would want) then why did you accept the offer for a trimmer in exchange for dropping charges? That makes no sense to me at all... I don't think I'd let the issue drop unless he had $2k to give me to shut up and even then I think I'd take the money and leave (with new trimmer in hand mind you) and then still have the charges pressed. Offer to turn the money over to the police, providing that the matter goes to court and you win a settlement for lost time, wages, sorrows and emotional distress, etc, etc. .....

baddboygeorge
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
i wanted the trimmer first , now i am gonna seek loss of wages an my lawyer is gonna press charges against him an his business . this is a small town your dealing with an this guy used to be the mayor so he knows everyone . I really don't care who he is his ass broke the law an its pay back time pal. The county attorney is a prick as well an besides all that this is a commonwealth state .In a commonwealth state there is no dropping the charges because the commonwealth will pick it up an charge you!! see ya george

newz7151
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
hey, baddboy, when you dropped the original trimmer off, did you sign a work order ?

baddboygeorge
03-03-2006, 11:21 PM
nope but i did get a receipt that i did drop off the equipment for repair!!

kalyeah
03-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey George, which dealer? I use shindaiwa trimmers too. In Louisville too. Hope it's not the same dealer. I get my from bluegrass on dixie. That's all I've got from them so far but they've always seemed professional.

befnme
03-04-2006, 01:14 AM
i dont know that it would help with equipment but i have a video of all my guns showing the serrial # incase of theft or fire it might work with equipment.

baddboygeorge
03-04-2006, 08:37 AM
hey neighbor i dont deal with bluegrass the owner is another arrogant prick, watch him he has mood swings . i buy from louisville tractor , i have a shop in etown as well an i used a dealer out here for some purchases an repair work due to its close for us . it turned out to be a nightmare . louisville tractor has always treated me right but since benny briscoe isnt there anymore i dont go there that often.If ya ever need anything look me up thanks george

baddboygeorge
03-04-2006, 08:39 AM
i talked to these guy yesterday about the whole situation an they said they were very dissappointed in the dealer i told them this guy shouldn't be a dealer , they told me they would take a close look into it an get back with me , lets see how long that takes !! see ya george

kalyeah
03-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey george, do you do sub work . I mostly do residential mowing. Don't do much landscaping except for some mulch and small jobs. I could contact you next time someone wanted something done though. Mowing keeps me about as busy as I wanna be. I just buy the trimmers from bluegrass. Get all my other equipment from the mower shop on Preston hwy. I've had a good experience dealing with them.

baddboygeorge
03-07-2006, 06:29 PM
sure i network with several guys in louisville .anytime ya need something dont hesitate. i do large jobs , small jobs, we do em all!!specialize in design / installation. back to the mower shop, they do have excellent reputation , tom in sales is a good friend as well as carl a mechanic there ,carl is the man when it comes to chainsaws !! see ya george

wherebluegrassgrows
03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey George I would like to know which dealer that was. I also deal with the mower shop and every now and again with bluegrass (only one big orange mower). I don't know anyone at bluegrass personally but I know Dan, Tom, and Carl at the mower shop excellent service and turn around on repairs.
Thanks,
Josh