PDA

View Full Version : Pompus Grass Removal

rbrehm
03-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey ya'll.

I have a customer that is requesting to have a few LARGE pompas grass's removed. Can anyone advise me on how much I should charge for this, and any tips on removal?

Thanks so much.

MarcSmith
03-01-2006, 03:14 PM
get a chain, wrap chain around the grass, hook other end of chain to truck and start pulling....:) its about the easiest way, unless you get a small mini excavator. if you hand dig, you could always replant/resell.

There is no set charge, If you hand dig I would do a TM ticket for the actual amountof time spent.... if you can rip it out with the truck, maybe hit em up for an hours worth of work for each bunch, sicne you will still have to dispose of it...

sheshovel
03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Wear protective clothing and gloves when handling this plant..it will rip you to shreds

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 03:41 PM
how do you remove a pompus azz?

sheshovel
03-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Are you refering to me?

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
lol, no. Don't be so touchy. I just saw the thread title, and that's what immediately came to mind.

But hey, if the shoe fits..... :D

Jason Rose
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Well technically it's Pampas Grass But we won't quibble over dialects, Iv'e heard it called a half dozen things around here... Some of them are rather obscene!

Removing them are fairly easy. Iv'e dug up a dozen or so, actually I'm digging one up tomorrow! Their root ball is pretty small actually and Iv'e never seen one come back from the deeper roots left in the ground.

Some people are more sensitive than others to the stuff, just depends on how tough your skin is! The only place it gets me is the insides of my arms but it heals in a day or two... I have about 100 clumps to cut back every spring at various houses. I prefer to catch a day when it's in the 50's and CALM so I can wear a long sleeved shirt and gloves and not sweat. Sweat just sticks the fiberglass like stuff that comes out of them to you and makes you itch even more!:dizzy:

ed2hess
03-01-2006, 06:56 PM
We do a lot of them. We start with a fresh sharpened hedge trimmer and trim off the top and edges. We roll the stuff into a large tarp so that it don't get everwhere. We use a Husquvara 55 chainsaw to cut it near ground. This is only brand we found that clutch won't clog. Digging them out usually isn't fun if they are big.

southernlandscapespecial
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I removed several in one day and it was a pain, don't be afraid of over charging you will be working your butt off removing them. I found the best way was to cut the top as low as you can /wear gloves and longsleeve shirt, start digging around the root ball and use a good sharp shovel.

YardPro
03-01-2006, 08:04 PM
get a chain, wrap chain around the grass, hook other end of chain to truck and start pulling....:) its about the easiest way, unless you get a small mini excavator. if you hand dig, you could always replant/resell.

There is no set charge, If you hand dig I would do a TM ticket for the actual amountof time spent.... if you can rip it out with the truck, maybe hit em up for an hours worth of work for each bunch, sicne you will still have to dispose of it...

sorry, but that is probably the worst way to do it...

We cut over 3K of these things per year, and remove tons of them.. ( and it is pampas, not popmas)

pompas have tons of very small roots. have one guy grab the blades and pull back. The other guy can take a sharpened shovel and slice inward just at ground level. You will easially cut through the roots. Continue this and you will have it gone in no time. The trick is to not get too deep in the dirt. If done right you will not have even 2 inches of a depression in the ground. The pampas will not grow back from the roots in the ground.

Trying to yank them out with a truck can rip off the bumper if they are large. Seen it happen.

K.Carothers
03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey ya'll.

I have a customer that is requesting to have a few LARGE pompas grass's removed. Can anyone advise me on how much I should charge for this, and any tips on removal?

Thanks so much.

1st step is to cut them down.
Here's how:
cut yourself some rope that you can tie around the grass
With your back against the grass, wrap your right leg around the grass and straddle the grass.
Make your first tie around the base with your cut pieces of rope.Make sure its tight.
work your way up the grass with 2 more ties. If grass is to large, do in sections.
Take hedge trimmers and cut at base and remove.
This saves the mess

As far as removing the root
Its the same as digging up any other shrub or plant.
If you have room at your house, transplant grass and sell it to your other customers.

kc