PDA

View Full Version : JD 757 or 717

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 02:21 PM
If you were going to have one of these mowers as your primary mower- which would you choose?

The quik trac 757 54" or the 717 48"????

I need to make a decision in the next 7-10 days. Have also thought about going cheaper and just getting the 7H17.

What do you guys think? I am definitely staying with Deere.

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
If it has to be a Deere, atleast go with the 757 60" cut.

That's a primary mower size.
I see no advantage to getting a big full frame mower with a deck that will barely cut out it's own tracks. It really defeats the purpose of a zero turn. You'll spend more time trimming what you can't reach over and get with the deck. This same principal applies to the 717 as well. 757-60" or 737-54" although I see no reason to go with a 54" as a 60" can go anywhere it will.... except on a 5 ft wide trailer...LOL...

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
If it has to be a Deere, atleast go with the 757 60" cut.

That's a primary mower size.
I see no advantage to getting a big full frame mower with a deck that will barely cut out it's own tracks. It really defeats the purpose of a zero turn. You'll spend more time trimming what you can't reach over and get with the deck. This same principal applies to the 717 as well. 757-60" or 737-54" although I see no reason to go with a 54" as a 60" can go anywhere it will.... except on a 5 ft wide trailer...LOL...

The 5 ft wide trailer is exactly why I am looking at the 54" vs the 60." I get much better gas mileage with pulling my 5x8 than when pulling my heavy tandem axle 16ft trailer

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 04:30 PM
The 5 ft wide trailer is exactly why I am looking at the 54" vs the 60." I get much better gas mileage with pulling my 5x8 than when pulling my heavy tandem axle 16ft trailer

Ah... I see... and understand!

Sorry, I also meant 727 not 737.

For a 54" I am honestly not sure which I'd rather have between the 727 and the 757 now that I think about it. The 757 is a lot nicer machine. I do not like the changes they made to the 717 and the 727 too much. I liked the older ones with the tank under the seat better. I do really like the unitized pump setup they have now though. It's a slicker setup on those than it is on the bigger mowers. I just think they could have done a bit better and put more thought into the whole new setup....

But if it were me, I wouldn't have to make the choice because I wouldn't buy a Deere.
I like the other shade of green better :usflag:

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Come on- you can help more than that.

Also have you seen the videos on Deere's website about the guy saying the quiktrak (757) is so efficient? They seem to be really pushing the standers.

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 04:51 PM
do some searching on standers. There are a ton of threads. consensus seems to be that the guys that have them, love them.

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 04:55 PM
The new stand-on machines look good, that I can't deny.
The 657 might be right up your alley.
Compact, light and fast.

But you would have to stand...

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 05:01 PM
do some searching on standers. There are a ton of threads. consensus seems to be that the guys that have them, love them.

I did do a search about standers- I also searched on 717 and everyone loved it as well. That is why it is a tough choice!!!!

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 05:11 PM
well, there ya go. Both good machines, comes down to one thing:

You can either stand like a man, or sit like a woman :D

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Anyone have anything USEFUL to add to this thread?????

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Anyone have anything USEFUL to add to this thread?????
Yeah, go DEMO some mowers and figure out what is best for YOU.

No one else can really tell you that.
My advice for example would be to go get a 54" Lesco Z-two....

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Dude, chill. I'm just kidding. But really, you've read great comments on both. If you truly have it narrowed down to the 717 or QT, it really is all about standing vs. sitting. I would say your property sizes dictate which one you would want, although you can always run the stander on a large prop, while the rider may be hard to manuveur on smaller ones.

I have a QT 54" and I thnk it's great. traction and wheel spin can be problems until you get used to it.

Is that better?

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Oh, and I meant to add...

Make sure you tow that trailer down and pick up your demos as well.
How they load and tow on that trailer might turn out to be the decision maker if it's that close.

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah, go DEMO some mowers and figure out what is best for YOU.

No one else can really tell you that.
My advice for example would be to go get a 54" Lesco Z-two....

Hard to demo when the grass isn't growing :) .

Plus, my dealer has neither in stock, but will order what I want.

Anyone have experience with both machines????

POPO4995
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I own a 737 54" and 997 72" and have operated the 757 60". If I were you, go with the 757 60" if you can fit it on the trailer. If you cant, go with the 727 54".....I have had no problems running my 737 even though it doesnt cut much wider than the tires. They all cut great. :usflag: I would stay away from the quik-traks just because they have absolutely no versatility beyond mowing, where atleast the Z's you can add baggers, stripe kits, etc. Whatever you choose, you will like.....it's a Deere!!!:weightlifter: If you have anymore questions, PM me.

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 06:04 PM
I own a 737 54" and 997 72" and have operated the 757 60". If I were you, go with the 757 60" if you can fit it on the trailer. If you cant, go with the 727 54".....I have had no problems running my 737 even though it doesnt cut much wider than the tires. They all cut great. :usflag: I would stay away from the quik-traks just because they have absolutely no versatility beyond mowing, where atleast the Z's you can add baggers, stripe kits, etc. Whatever you choose, you will like.....it's a Deere!!!:weightlifter: If you have anymore questions, PM me.

Thanks Pop that is the kind of info I was looking for! How much do the baggers cost on the Z's? Also I know of at least one person who has an accelerator bagger on a quik-trak.

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
I have a QT 54" and I thnk it's great. traction and wheel spin can be problems until you get used to it.
Is that better?

Wheel spin can be a problem with any ztr- but I have heard several comment that the quiktraks are especially bad in this area.

What do you mean about traction? It seems like it would get good traction with the operator's weight between the wheels- or does it seem to have too much torque and thus tears the turf easier than other mowers?

Thanks for the great input- this is what I am looking for and what makes this site so useful!

QualityLawnCare4u
03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
I had a 717 and now have a 737. I wished a many a times that I had the 717 back. It depends on what size yards you will be doing. Most of mine are residentual and the 717 with the 48" deck would fit better than the 737 with the 60" plus the 717 would mulch so good looked like it was bagged. I will probably part with my 737 soon and go back with the 7h17 if I stay in biz.

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Hard to demo when the grass isn't growing :) .

Plus, my dealer has neither in stock, but will order what I want.

Anyone have experience with both machines????

Well, they are pretty much going to cut the same if you compare the same deck sizes. The point of the demo would be to see which platform you like best.

Those dealer situations can suck though.
So what DOES your dealer have in stock?
He should have a full line right now in my opinion.
That would concern me a little I think.

But in any event, you can sign up with Deere for a demo on anything you want.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/groundscare/ckc_secure/demo_signup.html?link=mowpro

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I had a 717 and now have a 737. I wished a many a times that I had the 717 back. It depends on what size yards you will be doing. Most of mine are residentual and the 717 with the 48" deck would fit better than the 737 with the 60" plus the 717 would mulch so good looked like it was bagged. I will probably part with my 737 soon and go back with the 7h17 if I stay in biz.

Why go back to a 7H17 when you loved the 717 so much?
Also I thought you had problems with the motor on your 717- even with all the problems you would go back to one?

Thanks for your input- you know how easy it is to second guess a purchase, I am just trying to find out from those who used these machines what were the pros and cons of each one.

THanks!
Rodney

southernlandscapespecial
03-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Rodney, I had a 717 with the 48" and now I have the 727 54". Even though the 717 had a smaller engine (kawasaki 19) it was a hair faster than the 727 (kawasaki 23).They are both great mowers. Which ever you go with I am sure you will not regret it atleast they are both JOHN DEERE. :drinkup:

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 06:49 PM
SouthernLandscapespecial- Was the 717 easy on the turf? That is the main complaint I seem to hear about the 657.

Did the 717 have any deck overlap? How close could you get on the trimming?

When you say it was faster than your 727- do you mean that you could finish a property faster or that it would win a "drag race" between the two?

Did you ever feel the 717 was underpowered with 19 hp vs the 727 with
23hp??

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT INFO!!!!

southernlandscapespecial
03-01-2006, 07:03 PM
SouthernLandscapespecial- Was the 717 easy on the turf? That is the main complaint I seem to hear about the 657.

Did the 717 have any deck overlap? How close could you get on the trimming?

When you say it was faster than your 727- do you mean that you could finish a property faster or that it would win a "drag race" between the two?

Did you ever feel the 717 was underpowered with 19 hp vs the 727 with
23hp??

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT INFO!!!! The 717 was only faster if it was a drag race, but as far as mowing the 727 would run circles around it. Though it does seem the 717 was easier on the turf (probably because of its weight) and the 48 deck did have a overlap. The 19 hp was plenty of power for that mower, but if you are mowing tall grass I would recommend a bigger engine. In my opinion if I had to choose I would go for the 727. Thanks

rodneyskip
03-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Right now I think I am going to stick with choosing between the 657 and the 717. This is at the top of my budget.

No one has chimed in and said that they would go with the 7H17- would anyone consider this option. It is considerably cheaper!

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Right now I think I am going to stick with choosing between the 657 and the 717. This is at the top of my budget.

No one has chimed in and said that they would go with the 7H17- would anyone consider this option. It is considerably cheaper!

But how much cheaper?

If you want to make more money you have to be more productive.
You also have to look at cost effectiveness.
How much money can each generate for you over it's useful life?

In other words, how long is it really going to take you to recouperate the extra you will spend over the walk behind for the faster more productive machine?

If you want to make more money, spend more money for the more productive machine.

If you want to save money, quit paying for the John Deere name and go with some other piece of equally productive equipment for less money.

heather lawn sp
03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
well, there ya go. Both good machines, comes down to one thing:

You can either stand like a man, or sit like a woman :D

And my daughter sits on HER (at least SHE thinks it's her's) 72" 997 and cuts playing fields:laugh:

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 12:19 AM
This is not meant to be a thread that debates JD vs other brands. My mind is made up. :)

I am looking for real world information concerning these mowers!

Keep the info coming! You guys are a great help!

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 12:37 AM
This is not meant to be a thread that debates JD vs other brands. My mind is made up. :)

I am looking for real world information concerning these mowers!

Keep the info coming! You guys are a great help!

OK, then scratch the last sentence of post #25....

But consider the info in the rest of that post and what's in post #19.
I believe that is solid advice that will lead you to make a sound decision.

After all, this decision is about YOU and YOUR BUSINESS, not us and ours right?

Try them out and consider the fine points.
There is no reason not to.
We pay a lot for mowers and we should be sure of what we are getting.

What machines are you running now anyways???

topcat
03-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Rodneyskip - just curious what prices you are getting from dealer on the 657 and 717. I know the 657 has some left side trim to it but does the 717 have any?

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Hey Rodneyskip - just curious what prices you are getting from dealer on the 657 and 717. I know the 657 has some left side trim to it but does the 717 have any?

You are not gonna wanna know how cheap I am getting them. I know the dealer and he is giving them to me at about 80% of retail. :)

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I listed the two mower that I am choosing between as the 757 and the 717. I meant to say that I am looking at the 657 and the 717. Sorry for the mixup guys!

Maybe I need to start a new post???

POPO4995
03-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks Pop that is the kind of info I was looking for! How much do the baggers cost on the Z's? Also I know of at least one person who has an accelerator bagger on a quik-trak.
I believe the Powerflow systems are between $1600-$2000. Depends on 2 or 3 bags...:waving:

QualityLawnCare4u
03-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Why go back to a 7H17 when you loved the 717 so much?
Also I thought you had problems with the motor on your 717- even with all the problems you would go back to one?

Thanks for your input- you know how easy it is to second guess a purchase, I am just trying to find out from those who used these machines what were the pros and cons of each one.

THanks!
Rodney

I meant another 717, typo. I sold my 717 last spring and even though I like my 737 I liked the 717 better. Like I said, it would turn leaves,straw and even pine cones to dust real fast and did not tear the turf as bad. I cant tell with the 737 I have gotten any faster because of the hard to get in places now. If I get scaled down Im going to try one 717 used one at a decent price and that is going to be all I need from here on.Last summer I mowed a 3 acre yard and there was only 10 minutes difference in the 717 vs. the 737, timed it with each one. I had to go over the straw twice in places with the 737 while the 717 got it the first time and made it disappear.

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 03:07 AM
How much do you think a good used one would cost? I have never had good luck with used mowers- unless they have some warranty left it always seems that I get a dud on anything used I buy.

Also do you know if the new 7 iron decks are a big improvement?

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 03:47 AM
I meant another 717, typo. I sold my 717 last spring and even though I like my 737 I liked the 717 better. Like I said, it would turn leaves,straw and even pine cones to dust real fast and did not tear the turf as bad. I cant tell with the 737 I have gotten any faster because of the hard to get in places now. If I get scaled down Im going to try one 717 used one at a decent price and that is going to be all I need from here on.Last summer I mowed a 3 acre yard and there was only 10 minutes difference in the 717 vs. the 737, timed it with each one. I had to go over the straw twice in places with the 737 while the 717 got it the first time and made it disappear.

That's because "PRE"- 7 Iron II Deeres had low tip speed.

This fact was more apparent on the 737 because of the longer blades.
Meaning with the same tip speed the longer blade turns less RPM's.

So the shorter blades on the 717 have the same tip speed, but turn more RPM.
This explains the pine straw thing and the other mulching thing you have mentioned.

Maybe I already told you this before, but I can't see where it hurts to post it here anyways...

When I looked at them, I always liked the setup of the old 727 best.
Back when they looked 100% like green Great Dane Chariot Jr's with a 7 Iron.
They are still basically the same, but have you looked at the changes they made?
I like the new unitized pump setup with the fan (so long as it never breaks).
But I don't care for the rest of the changes.
Still like the way they were better.

GreenMonster
03-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Wheel spin can be a problem with any ztr- but I have heard several comment that the quiktraks are especially bad in this area.

What do you mean about traction? It seems like it would get good traction with the operator's weight between the wheels- or does it seem to have too much torque and thus tears the turf easier than other mowers?

Thanks for the great input- this is what I am looking for and what makes this site so useful!

I don't find the hill holding ability to be as good as they claim it to be. good traction is achieved with "body english", and shifting your weight on the mower -- sometimes putting your knee on a wheel well and getting over 1/2 your body weight on one wheel. I think the tire spin may be more to do with the fact the hydros are extremely responsive. Don't know for sure though. Both of these items are really non-issues after you get some time and experience on the mower.

Anyway, it is a versatile mower that will cut much faster than a w/b in tight areas, and can also keep up with most riders in wide open spaces. You can put a bagger or a trac-vac on them, but they definately don't excel when bagging.

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
GreenMonster- Would you say that you are recommending the 657 over the 717?

Are you truly satisfied with yours- or do you find yourself wishing you had bought something else?

GreenMonster
03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
GreenMonster- Would you say that you are recommending the 657 over the 717?

Are you truly satisfied with yours- or do you find yourself wishing you had bought something else?

I'm not recommending one over the other. You need to weigh the pros and cons, determine which is better for your typical properties. Our properties are on both end of the spectrum -- wide open ballfields to small yards < 3000sf. I believe the stander is as versatile as it gets, aside from collecting. I think you have all the data. At some point it is up to you to decide which is better suited for you.

I'm satisfied with the stander. It's great for us, and I don't regret buying it. However, as long as we are running multiple units, I will always want to have something that collects better -- specifically for leaf season.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, between the 717 and the 657, what it comes down to is....

Intended purpose
Operator physical condition
Operator preference

The productivity of those two mowers is going to be close about anywhere, with the 657 having a slight edge in power, cutting swath, and ultimately probably 'actual' cuting speed mph as well. It will also shadow the 717 on real tight stuff because the short width is so easy to manuver.

But overall, none of that means a hill of beans if you need to mow larger more open areas, if you want other bagging options beyond the side catcher, if you do not prefer standing, or if you are like me and need all the 'seat time' you can get.

For me, if these stander mowers had came out years ago when I was younger, lighter, healthier, couldn't be still, hated sitting, ect.... well then there would be no dang way you would have gotten me to SIT on a lawnmower. But today things are different, and as much as I'd like to try one to see how it treats my back, I'm just not all that confident it would be a risk I should take financially.

Livingreen
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Rodneyskip-
I can't say much about the riders, but I do have a 7H17 that works great. I encounter a lot of slopes, and the light weight of the 7H performs better than the old HD's on the slopes. I don't use the riders, but I'm looking to add a stander this year. I really like the visibility you have with the standers versus the riders. The new 7-iron II deck looks like it might do a better job at mulching than the 7-iron. Good luck with your decision.

Livingreen in AK

mr.glenn
03-02-2006, 08:28 PM
i had a 757 with the 60" cut and it was great but it also was too wide to get into some of my yards, sold it for a good price, had 3 men wanting it at the same time. i now have the 737 and it also is great and i am able to now get into most of my yards but ironicaly the 54" deck is only slightly wider than the mower which causes the rear tire to hit things like a fence post when you spin around it quickly. overall the 54" is the way to go!

rodneyskip
03-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks Mr Glenn and LivingGreen.

For everyone that keeps saying that "ultimately I have to decide which one is best for me, and the properties I mow and etc..., etc...., etc..." I just have one thing to say- Chill out.

I know that I will be the one that has to make the ultimate choice and live with that choice. I am not seeking anyone's approval. I am trying to figure out the real world strength's and weaknesses of these machines from real users. Then I can BETTER decide which would fit my particular needs.

So quit giving me a hard time- and everyone else that asks a simple question.

The rest of you guys keep giving me some input- you are really help me out in making my decision.

Thanks!!

QualityLawnCare4u
03-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Rodney, I dont know what size properties you are going to be mowing, but if I had to choose again my 737 would have had a 54" deck instead of a 60". I have 2 yards tommorow that I am having to take my small rider with me because the 60" deck on the 737 lacks about 2 inches fitting on big gated back yards. That is more weight for me to pull meaning more gas plus having to take 2 mowers off the trailor instead of 1 (more wasted time). Knowing what I know now the perfect mower for me would have been a 727, decent size mower deck and enough power for my needs. The 717 was fine also but a few times I wished for a little more power. When I purchased the 717 the 727 was like 600 bucks higher and was a little to much for me at the time. Here would be my choice in this order, a 727,717, or a 737 with a 54" deck. I am parting out with my 737 soon and going down to one mower and it will either be another 717 or a 727. I ran my 737 in the paper recently and had a lot of folks wanting it but decided to hold out a little longer. Good luck in your decision. If you are mowing wide open properties with no gates or a lot of obstacles a 60" is a perfect size. Have you tried to demo one to see what works for you?

GreenMonster
03-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks Mr Glenn and LivingGreen.

For everyone that keeps saying that "ultimately I have to decide which one is best for me, and the properties I mow and etc..., etc...., etc..." I just have one thing to say- Chill out.

I know that I will be the one that has to make the ultimate choice and live with that choice. I am not seeking anyone's approval. I am trying to figure out the real world strength's and weaknesses of these machines from real users. Then I can BETTER decide which would fit my particular needs.

So quit giving me a hard time- and everyone else that asks a simple question.

The rest of you guys keep giving me some input- you are really help me out in making my decision.

Thanks!!

Rodney, no one is giving you a hard time. We're giving you solid advise that you don't want to listen to. NO ONE here knows what kind of properties and what type of service you are providing. Therefore, ONLY YOU can truly decide whether a stander or a rider is RIGHT FOR YOU. Or for that matter, a 48" deck vs. a 54" or 60" deck.

Between this thread, and SEVERAL other stander vs. rider threads, there is more than enough info and opinions for you to make an educated decision. Instead of weighing all the factors ON YOUR OWN, you basically want a consensus vote -- US telling YOU which is the right mower. You don't really want to do any of the work on your own to determine which is best. Why would you want me, or someone else you don't know from Adam, to sit here and tell you that you should definately go with the QT for example, if you're primarily doing acreage and estate mowing?!?!? That would kinda be the wrong move now, wouldn't it?

You have the data, it's time for you to make the decision.... not us. Good luck.

7 IRON
03-03-2006, 12:35 PM
My Input Would Be If a 60" Deck Get A 737/757.If a 54" Deck Go With The
727A.I Demoed A 737 w/54" Deck And Found That With The Larger Tires It
Was A Pain to Trim with.

7 IRON
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Did You Have A Bad Experience With JD Equipment?I Have Had Good Luck
With My 737Z So Far.I Found That In My Area,The Toro/Exmark dealer
Was A Little Cheaper,But Not By Alot.Just Curious.

kmann
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
If you were going to have one of these mowers as your primary mower- which would you choose?

The quik trac 757 54" or the 717 48"????

I need to make a decision in the next 7-10 days. Have also thought about going cheaper and just getting the 7H17.

What do you guys think? I am definitely staying with Deere.
I own the 717A 48". Its good for me because I need to get into alot of tight spots, not to mention some Gates. I put Gator Mulching blades on it and it goes thru thick, wet St. Augustine quite well. It does a nice job mulching and I have'nt torn up any lawns (yet).