PDA

View Full Version : grass how tall

jarroo's lawncare
03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
i was going to attempt to cut a slightly overgrown patch of grass about a 1/4 acre big. i was just wondering how tall can it be before my lazer can't cut it? it has the 27 hp kohler, 60 inch cut. i have cut some kinda tall grass before with no problem, the section i will be cutting is dead and laying down. any suggestions would be helpful.

lazer 46
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
When you are sitting on the Lazer and the top of the grass is eye level it is probably too tall to cut, otherwise have at it. Seriously, just raise the deck all the way to the top setting and mow it a couple times. Drop the deck an inch or so, mow it again. I keep going over it until I get the heighth I want. Just make sure it is good and dry. Works for me.

old dog 80
03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
As long as it is able to cut without stalling out ,go for it.I always like to walk
through and kick around to keep from hitting "mower mines"

Jason Rose
03-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Yep, it's amazing what a good mower can bush hog! Iv'e had mine in weeds taller than me sitting on the mower before... Many times in grass and weeds about 2 to 3 feet high. Tall stuff usually isn't all that thick and usually cuts easier than some lush green grass that you are trying to take 5 inches off of!

lawnmaniac883
03-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Side discharge or mulching? If side discharge, go for it. Mulching, you may want to reconsider, lol.

grassyfras
03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
The dryier it is the easier it is. If its all dead Its gonna be a sinch. If it was spring and that long it would be a PITA. Have fun and wear a mask.

Mickhippy
03-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Have a look at these pics. Saves me double posting them is all.
Theres a before/after. Some of that was over 6'high!
Just let it be very dry and go slow. I ran over that 3 or 4 times from memory!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115684&page=2

sikagrass
03-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Thats got to be the best before and after pic I have ever seen! To the OP what I have found works best is cut as high as you can at first (duh) and if you have to get rid of some of the discharge and start over, make sure you charge enough cuz it isnt as simple as a mow and go. Dont forget theres often lawn mower killers hidden in there you wont find till you hit them

Mickhippy
03-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Cheers mate. Yep, I had to walk all through that stuff. Missed a heap of concrete and some stakes. These only became a problem when I cut lower though.

I don't recommend mowing stuff like that often but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.