PDA

View Full Version : 73 degrees today... still not fired up

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Usually a nice warm day like today gets me all fired up and reving to go....
Warm temps early on usually give me a jump start, but not today.

I don't know if I am savoring the time off and being thankful for a nice day of my own, or if I'm lacking motivation this year.

Anyone else not have it in gear already?

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm lacking the motivation to continually sit on my azz and do more pricing, and to go work in the unheated garage that is hovering around 20 degrees right now.

No though, I'm not lacking the motivation to gitty-up an go!

jtkplc
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh, man, 73 sounds great. I can't wait for the weather to turn up here in Michigan. I'm ready to get back out there and start making some money. I will also enjoy just being outside again and having a nice tan! :dancing:

Rev. Crabgrass
03-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Weather like this makes me want to play Golf not work. Envy you are right, it is a beautiful day here in NC. Rest of the week should be nice too.

REV.

rodfather
03-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm ready and raring to go:waving:

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm ready and raring to go:waving:

yeah, Rod, I bet you can't wait to start barking orders, playing golf, and sipping margaritas :clapping:

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Weather like this makes me want to play Golf not work. Envy you are right, it is a beautiful day here in NC. Rest of the week should be nice too.

REV.

We will pay for this before spring really arrives though I bet.
Especially since we have not had a 'real' winter this year anyways.

I used to run a full schedule of things to do in March. But I stopped that a few years back. Reason being is that I have always hated the March weather here. The swing back and forth and the cold-cold windy days we have. I hate the cold wind. Last thing I want to do is be forced to get out and work in it. But sometimes I do think I might ought to get back to working more in March.

moonjunespoon
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
It's about 80 here in Austin TX and I much rather be on some nice trails on my atv.

Mr.Mow-It-All
03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
84 here today, 86 is the record high, Normal is mid 50's

Remsen1
03-01-2006, 03:31 PM

I used to run a full schedule of things to do in March. But I stopped that a few years back. Reason being is that I have always hated the March weather here. The swing back and forth and the cold-cold windy days we have. I hate the cold wind. Last thing I want to do is be forced to get out and work in it. But sometimes I do think I might ought to get back to working more in March.

Cold? How about -5F with -20F windchill for the past few nights here. Currently sunny and warm @ +20F. (and this is normal for this time of year)

GStover
03-01-2006, 03:39 PM
KOCO TV's website shows it to be 90 degrees here...wow. My central air is even running...now for some much needed rain later in the week. We're 14" below normal rainfall since this time last year...:cry: It would sure be nice to do some outdoor cooking...fireban still in effect.

Rev. Crabgrass
03-01-2006, 03:40 PM

Yeah I am kinda waiting on a huge snow in March. There hasn't been any Kind of winter so we will pay with weeds and insects. I pruned some Bradford Pears yesterday that were already blooming.

REV.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-01-2006, 04:03 PM

Im just 30 miles north of Danville which is on the Carolina - Va border, Forecast is for a cold rain/snow event here monday then upper 30's and 40's for most of next week

wayne

Richard Martin
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Well with a high today of 43 it's kinda hard to get motivated but I'm out and working next week so I might as well get used to it.

jpp
03-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I am not really motivated yet myself. I did get all of the spring letters out to the customers. I need to get bagged salt stored for the year and just don't feel like doing it yet. But as already stated we could still get hit with some snow. I will be ready when the time comes though.

rodfather
03-01-2006, 04:54 PM
yeah, Rod, I bet you can't wait to start barking orders, playing golf, and sipping margaritas :clapping:

now Mark...how can ya say that? :nono: :laugh:

Del9175
03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
While I having been working pretty steady all winter down here in FL, I'm anxious to get back to weekly mowing. Looks like I will start that on the 15th of this month. It seems weird to me that I would feel this way considering about mid july I start the count down to winter.

I did business in MI for about 9 years before moving down here and I was always chomping at the bit to get outside and working. Winters in S.W. MI were miserable in my opinion. Three months with hardely seeing the sunshine. Heck, I spent two weeks up there for the holidays and only saw the sun for about 5 minutes. How depressing.

Shawns Lawns
03-01-2006, 04:59 PM
The key to getting motivated is to buy a new piece of equipment every year.:waving:

Jason Rose
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Record high of 82 here today, it's been in the mid 70's all week! I just can't see getting out and doing a whole lot this early... I know that several guys in my area are already out putting down their first app of fert. but it's a good 2 weeks early for them. I'm going to wait the 2 weeks or so still. I have all my equipment loaded on the trailer which I usually don't do until the forst of april normally. I usually use my small trailer for the first couple weeks in the season just so I don't have to haul the big trailer around.

If it would cool off a bit, down to the 50's and the wind dosn't blow I have about 100 or so clumps of pampas grass to cut at various houses.

I did a leaf clean-up today on a lawn I couldn't do last fall because of their home remodeling taking up the lawn all the time. Tomorrow I'm going to rip out some pampass grass and old landscaping for a customer. By no means a busy schedule but at least I'm ready to roll! Now just watch, it will snow it 2 weeks here and I will have to stuff everything back into storage and put the snow plow back on the mower!

Rich's Lawn Care
03-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Envy where abouts are you in North Carolina.

Woody82986
03-01-2006, 06:44 PM
92 degrees here today. It was very nice. My partner and I are getting fired up. We have a big clean up to do tomorrow.

Jason Rose
03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
92 degrees here today. It was very nice. My partner and I are getting fired up. We have a big clean up to do tomorrow.

Holy hell! 92??? Man I would have stayed inside with the a/c on saying, "well too hot today to work..." Takes me a little time to adjust to the heat, or the cold for that matter. You crank it on all at once and I'm pitching a fit! lol! You southern guys have it rough in the summer... heck, even in the winter this year!

HOOLIE
03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
I still enjoy the work after many years, BUT...I have always hated springtime. Grass grows way too fast, it rains too much, and the customers procrastinate on mulch, cleanups, etc. until it's too late. I tell 'em every year, need to schedule that work before the grass starts growing. But they never listen :hammerhead:

mulcahy mowing
03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I cant wait to go but still fear what new chalenges may come. cant wait for the saeson only 40 as a high today. I was driving the exmark w/b around the yard to get it warmed up to daily use. I always get those weird looks from people walking by.

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I still enjoy the work after many years, BUT...I have always hated springtime. Grass grows way too fast, it rains too much, and the customers procrastinate on mulch, cleanups, etc. until it's too late. I tell 'em every year, need to schedule that work before the grass starts growing. But they never listen :hammerhead:

I think that is some of it right there. The dread... I don't mind the work at all. It's the little headaches and there are always plenty in the spring. The new estimates. The new customers. The existing customer procrastination, or the total lack of doing anything extra, and then you have to break the truth to the customer...

Then there are the late callers that wait until their lawn is a jungle before they decide they want to hire you as their new lawn service. Just the little things like that. I've grown to dread them...

ZaK18
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
It 93 here...Record high....Ive had my AC on all day...The weather in TX is very wierd...last week there were days it didnt get out of the 30's :dizzy:

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 07:53 PM
The key to getting motivated is to buy a new piece of equipment every year.:waving:

You have a point there... and boy, it seems there is NEVER a shortage of things to buy. Either something to replace, or repair, or something just new. Some things a will have to do and some of them rather shortly too. And no doubt a thing or two might crap out on me early on, ect.

But as much money as I have spent in recent years, I would like to keep a bit of a lid on it this year. Maybe a new tricked out open trailer, maybe replace a few pieces of small equipment, ect. Although I would like to pick up another 60" or 72" Ztwo, or a Kubota GR2100 or BX Series tractor...

Envy where abouts are you in North Carolina.

In the western NC mountains/foothills area.

jpp
03-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Boy that is the truth. Customers always wait until you are out busting your tail to call for the cleanup. Oh time got away from me sorry. This year my letters went out yesterday and I have already received 3 calls today. If I don't hear from the ones that I did last year in the next week, I will be giving them a call to see if they want it done again this year.

prizeprop
03-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Is'nt that the truth,I actually dont feel confortable until about June. I can't wait until December actually.

nmez21
03-01-2006, 08:52 PM
mulachy, i've been getting those around here too.:)

mike lane lawn care
03-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I still have a couple of weeks to go untill the season starts. it was only was only about 30 degrees today, and the 10 day forcast predicts the same.

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
fga gave me a little kick in the pants with his question thread.

He actually got me to pick up a calendar to settle a tennative start date.
At least I have a key in the ignition now.
I should be able to get the beast fired up before long...

MJB
03-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Envy I'm having the same problem. Might just be the 15 yrs of lawn care "The Thrill Is Gone" for me anyway. But I did start to work on 1 mower today, I parked them in Nov and haven't looked at them until today. I open my shop to a bunch of mowers with flat tires and muck from the final mow. I remember when I used to polish every mower before I parked it, not anymore. I'm considering changing businesses over the next 2 yrs. Opportunity is knocking don't know which way I'll go yet. I'm only going to mow a few this month, most will start next month. I have to ease out of retirement mode and back to working for a living. Oh, what a life. But at least I'm happy.

sikagrass
03-02-2006, 01:56 AM
I got sunburned today and some of you guys are still cold go figure.Im pumped up for the coming season other than feeling like I need to oil my hips and knees. Seems like the phone rings just enough to give me something to do.

jeffex
03-02-2006, 06:00 AM
I think we had a post like this last year. Many of use are ready to set the world on fire this time of the year with the season starting. Big plans and dreams. If I remember correctly envy you were at a crossroads of growth vs status quo. I have maxed out how much I can handle without hiring someone. The challenge for me now is to MAX what i can do in the time I set for working. I have a tight route with great customers at decent prices. They have not bi&^%ed about price increases so they are on auto pilot. I considered a plan to lease customers and equipment on a daily basis and even discussed it with a accountant. I'm still not decided on this one. Every spring I get referral calls from being in the business for many years. Its hard to turn down customers and many years that has pushed me up against the wall trying to get too many done. Finally !! my point is I stopped trying to out think this business and just show up. I enjoy the status quo of where I am. The challenge is now in bidding higher on upsell services and enjoying the actual mowing and customer contact intead of trying to break records for how many I cut in a day.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 07:17 AM
jeffex,

Bingo, understand exactly what you are saying. You were able to put into words where I feel I am personally and where I want to be right now in business. I just need a few more good customers and a little better retention rates is all. Then I want to set the autopilot....

jeffex
03-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I adjusted what I get excited about. I look forward to new money , the smell of fresh cut grass , seeing everyone again, and getting off the sofa!! I have saved for new equipment but will hold off until something breaks and continue to add to the equipment fund in 2006. We are 4 wks away from mowing still so I can change oil, sharpen blades, and paint mower decks in a relaxed mode. I've worked dam hard to put myself in this place and I'm enjoying all of it!! Limited income BUT limited headaches!!!

Richard Martin
03-02-2006, 08:09 AM
I adjusted what I get excited about. I look forward to new money , the smell of fresh cut grass , seeing everyone again, and getting off the sofa!! I have saved for new equipment but will hold off until something breaks and continue to add to the equipment fund in 2006. We are 4 wks away from mowing still so I can change oil, sharpen blades, and paint mower decks in a relaxed mode. I've worked dam hard to put myself in this place and I'm enjoying all of it!! Limited income BUT limited headaches!!!

Hey, you've gotten where I am. I have a couple of small cleanups/muching jobs to do in the next two weeks and then it's off to North Carolina for a week. By the time we get back we should be just about ready to mow grass.

This isn't related to mowing grass but it is cost related. I have my electricity set up on the Budget Billing plan where they average a 12 month period and then you pay the same amount every month. Well BGE hit me with a 61% increase this month due wholey to deregulation of electricity in MD. I had actually used less electricity last year then the year before. That's the good news. The bad news is this is only the first of 5 increases expected in MD over the next 5 years.

old dog 80
03-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Set a start date...The checkbook is getting low and it has been a sour winter
here with little snow.27 with snow,think I'll wait for 10 days and decide.

jeffex
03-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Richard Martin, We had a mild winter here in MD but the gas & electric bills broke records. And now there's talk of raising the electric rate 50-80% . My house is fairly new and well insulated so the hit wasn't unbearable $250. I've talked to people with older homes that have poor insulation paying $400=$500 a month!!!!