PDA

View Full Version : Time for new small equipment!

BSDeality
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
This spring I'll be purchasing some new equipment because the engines are getting tired on my others. I'll still keep them for backups, but I'm going need a new set of tools.

First up: I need a new backpack blower. All i've ran is my Echo BP 750's however my dealer is telling me about the new Shindaiwa 4stroke EB8510. the thing is a monster, 4.5hp,79cc, 224mph/952CFM (w/o tubes). Anyone using one yet? Otherwise I will go with my tried and true echo BP750T. I think he said that was running $549 ($100 more than the echo 750T) Edit: for comparison, the 750T is only 620CFM/204 mph where the EB8510 is 762CFM/224mph.

Second: I'm looking at purchasing a new trimmer to replace my Shindaiwa T231 which is worn out. Again, thinking of going with the 4stroke T2510. it is the same weight as my T261 which i love. They're running a special right now $379-70 rebate. another T261 would run $319. and a T231 is $299-35 rebate. I don't really want to go back to the 231 as it feels like a toy compared to the 261/T2510's. Dealer is reporting great feedback from people using the T2510, anyone have one?

Third: I need a pole saw. I looked at the non extendable echo which i don't feel is worth it because its so short, the extendable one is way too expensive. Shindaiwa has the M2510 powerhead which has plenty of grunt to run any of the attachments. that runs $340. I'm primarily interested in the pole pruner ($225) and the hedge trimmer ($250).

Normally I am against interchangeable units because I feel that too much time is wasted changing attachments and its unconvienent. However I think the pole saw and hedge trimmer would be something where it would be an exception because of their relatively infrequent use compared to a weedwacker. I can also get a powerbroom attachment for the M2510 and that would a great addition to the PB271 I've already got.

Thoughts?

BSDeality
03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
bueller? ...

lawnguyland
03-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Anyone, anyone....?

Sounds pretty much like my system-love the echo 750, but last year added a husqy 356 which is great for non-clean-ups, is lighter and quieter for weekly service.

I switched to husqy trimmers last year and love the light weight, but this year just bought a 4 stroke husqy that's not really too heavy, but haven't tried it yet.

Also got a 4 stroke mantis to replace the 2 stroke I have

Did the same with echo split boom for pole saw, hedge clipper, broom, and weedwacker (keep wacker att in truck in case husqy don't work)

Copy cat! I like it, good system...

BSDeality
03-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I've looked at some husky equipment a couple years ago, however I don't have any dealer support for those. Out of my 3 dealers I use 2 out of three carry shindaiwa, one in particular has supreme support for any thing he sells. The other choices would be echo and stihl, however I've never had great results with either for their hand tools. The exceptions being my Echo BP750's and Stihl chainsaws.

After thinking things over I think I'm going with all four stroke shindaiwa. I can't wait to try the EB8510 blower, it should be a monster and its the same weight at the echo which is less powerful.

baddboygeorge
03-10-2006, 10:18 PM
those eb8510's rock its like a little wonder 5 h.p. push blower on your back as far as the power .shindy makes a versa-tool set up which is the route i am going as well.but i am also considering just buying the hedge trimmer head to put on a 231 because i trim alot of evergreens an i need that extra length an the versa-tool is shorter that the regular trimmer shaft. That hedge trimmer head is only 90 bucks an believe me its worth every nickel.the shindy tech told me if ya ever wanna buy a really nice medium chainsaw he said the shindaiaw 464 is one badd ass saw , i told him i might try it if ,, husky goes outta business , see ya george

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I picked up my new T2510 trimmer and powerhead M2510 with the Pole Pruner Attachment. I used the pole saw to take down a couple limbs and its great so far. I'll have to wait for the grass to use the T2510. the 2510 is 1.1lb lighter than my T261 2stroke.

I also tried the EB8510 and holy cow! that thing rocks, just like george said its like having a 5hp on your back! its the same weight as my echo 750's but blows a lot harder! I'll be picking one of those up this fall.

newz7151
03-14-2006, 01:01 PM
I picked up my new T2510 trimmer and powerhead M2510 with the Pole Pruner Attachment. I used the pole saw to take down a couple limbs and its great so far. I'll have to wait for the grass to use the T2510. the 2510 is 1.1lb lighter than my T261 2stroke.

I also tried the EB8510 and holy cow! that thing rocks, just like george said its like having a 5hp on your back! its the same weight as my echo 750's but blows a lot harder! I'll be picking one of those up this fall.

I'm curious as to a couple of things.

1. Why did you purchase two seperate power units instead of just getting the trimmer attachment to slip into your M2510. (you may have a valid reason)

2. Did you purchase the blade kit for that T2510, or was it already installed on the unit and you didn't pay any extra?

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 01:17 PM
1) I'm generally not keen on multi purpose powerheads since I feel that its too bothersome to switch the attachments back and forth especially for an item like a string trimmer. However I needed a pole saw for a couple jobs I also like the other attachments that I can get for it. I can get a Powerbroom attachment (already have a PB270 powerbroom), Articulated Hedge trimmer (already have a DH22 hand held).

I can also get an edger and cultivator. I don't do any blade edging, but if the job comes along where I need it, all i have to do is buy the edger, same thing with the cultivator and these would both be low-usage items. I have 3 string trimmers now and if one goes down I can have a backup in a quick $90 stop to my dealer.

2) It came with the new speed feed head, I can purchase a blade kit for it however.

newz7151
03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
2) It came with the new speed feed head, I can purchase a blade kit for it however.

Looks more like it came with the blade kit.

The debris guard that is on there is the guard for use with a blade, the kickback guard at the D handle is the guard in the kit, and the clamp with the hole in it is for the shoulder strap. Something is funny with that setup, as that is not the normal way that the T2510 is shipped to dealers.

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 01:59 PM
my T261 has the same exact setup in reguards to handle, strap, and guard.

elshauno
03-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Looks more like it came with the blade kit.

The debris guard that is on there is the guard for use with a blade, the kickback guard at the D handle is the guard in the kit, and the clamp with the hole in it is for the shoulder strap. Something is funny with that setup, as that is not the normal way that the T2510 is shipped to dealers.
Thats because its the t2510x model Mine looks exactly the same

drumbo
03-21-2006, 01:52 AM
I just bought a John Deere trimmer. I think it is one of the lightest in the industry...and I love it!