View Full Version : Treatment for Apple Trees

03-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I was just asked by someone about including a treatment for their Apple Trees. Any insight as to application techniques and equipment needed. I only have a backpack sprayer and would like to know what else I would need to buy in order to treat their trees. She said she had a tree company treating for Apple Scab last year but wants us to include that in the maintenance program. Also what products do you use? I am new at chemical application on trees so all info will be helpful.

Kate Butler
03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Is it safe to assume that you actually have a pesticide applicator's license? If not, you cannot legally apply chemicals.

Having said that, you need to determine whether the client desires organic or not. THEN do the google search.

03-01-2006, 08:53 PM
I am certified from last year on my golf course but still have to apply for my commercial for hire license, just paperwork, as I was licensed in commercial not for hire, but i am certified for turf and landscape. No extra testing needed just pay the fee and send in the paperwork.

03-02-2006, 09:34 AM
myclobutanil, most likely

03-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Do they want to produce apples or are the trees mostly for ornamental use? The reason I ask is that apple trees require about 13 carefully timed sprays for fruit production, i.e. dormant, pre-bloom, post bloom, petal drop, etc. If the trees are mostly for ornamental use and they don't care about fruit quality, you can probably get away with a couple fungicide applications. You can treat them with a backpack sprayer, if it can shoot high enough. I use a 300 gal. sprayer with a JD-9 gun.

03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I think I am going to forgo this job, i will take her lawn fert program but i just dont have the knowledge yet or even any equipment that will work for this operation. I am sure she can find somone to come in just to treat her trees. In fact I can recommend her directly to an associate of mine.

03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Or.....learn about it. Treating apple trees for scab can be profitable and a sales tool. Id bet more than half your clients have them.

Apple scab is a common foliar disease on a variety of "fruit trees" really. Usually we are talking about crabapple trees.....and a few specific common varieties.

Its am easily controlled disease....and you can pretty much spot the ones that will get it from a mile away in advance.

If you are licensed.....there are Mauget capsules etc available to use without the need of a sprayer, and is safer to the environment....and a breeze to install.

Tebuject for example.