PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for Apple Trees

BeautifulBlooms
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I was just asked by someone about including a treatment for their Apple Trees. Any insight as to application techniques and equipment needed. I only have a backpack sprayer and would like to know what else I would need to buy in order to treat their trees. She said she had a tree company treating for Apple Scab last year but wants us to include that in the maintenance program. Also what products do you use? I am new at chemical application on trees so all info will be helpful.

Kate Butler
03-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Is it safe to assume that you actually have a pesticide applicator's license? If not, you cannot legally apply chemicals.

Having said that, you need to determine whether the client desires organic or not. THEN do the google search.

BeautifulBlooms
03-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I am certified from last year on my golf course but still have to apply for my commercial for hire license, just paperwork, as I was licensed in commercial not for hire, but i am certified for turf and landscape. No extra testing needed just pay the fee and send in the paperwork.

lilmarvin4064
03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
myclobutanil, most likely

Grassmechanic
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Do they want to produce apples or are the trees mostly for ornamental use? The reason I ask is that apple trees require about 13 carefully timed sprays for fruit production, i.e. dormant, pre-bloom, post bloom, petal drop, etc. If the trees are mostly for ornamental use and they don't care about fruit quality, you can probably get away with a couple fungicide applications. You can treat them with a backpack sprayer, if it can shoot high enough. I use a 300 gal. sprayer with a JD-9 gun.

BeautifulBlooms
03-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I think I am going to forgo this job, i will take her lawn fert program but i just dont have the knowledge yet or even any equipment that will work for this operation. I am sure she can find somone to come in just to treat her trees. In fact I can recommend her directly to an associate of mine.

Killswitch
03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Or.....learn about it. Treating apple trees for scab can be profitable and a sales tool. Id bet more than half your clients have them.

Apple scab is a common foliar disease on a variety of "fruit trees" really. Usually we are talking about crabapple trees.....and a few specific common varieties.

Its am easily controlled disease....and you can pretty much spot the ones that will get it from a mile away in advance.

If you are licensed.....there are Mauget capsules etc available to use without the need of a sprayer, and is safer to the environment....and a breeze to install.

Tebuject for example.