PDA

View Full Version : MSRP of ROPS

Wayne Landscaping
03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
How much to rops cost on a scag tiger cub. I have them but there off the mower and in perfect condition. I wanna sell them on ebay but i dont know what i should price them at, what do u guys all think? Thanks

TomB
03-01-2006, 08:05 PM
They are about $500.00. You might want to keep them if you plan to sell or trade them in in the future.

Wayne Landscaping
03-01-2006, 08:08 PM
They are about $500.00. You might want to keep them if you plan to sell or trade them in in the future.
I am not planning on selling the mower or trading it in. I have already put stickers on it and painted it. Thank you for the price quote.

Jason Rose
03-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I think everyone that has bought a commercial mower in the last 2 years has a ROPS leaning against the side of their shop... Look at the scrap metal value though??? steel is worth quite a lot right now...

grass-scapes
03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Im sure they can be much more valuable on your machine. What happens if you have a workplace injury? What happens when your employee tells his lawyer that you disabled factory installed safety devices? What happens when your workers comp insurance refuses to pay? What happens when you now work for your employee?

deereman
03-01-2006, 09:08 PM
I too question about getting rid of them. If they are off and you really dont want them on your mower, put them away, out of your way, for future use. You never know what the future holds. We have ROPs too and most of the time they are folded down out of our way. But we also have some extremely steep turf that we maintain and up they go with seatbelts on! We have hired help running these mowers as well as ourselves, so with that said the ROPs are staying on!:)

P & L Turf
03-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I heard somewhere that OSHA was making those mandatory. I don't know if that was for sales or what, but I do know that if you roll your mower, there's nothing you can do in court for injuries if those are off the mower. I'd keep them around just in case.:usflag:

TURF DOCTOR
03-01-2006, 09:57 PM
They will cost you 600 bucks in my area new,dealer cost is guessing 450.

extoro
03-01-2006, 11:53 PM
I heard somewhere that OSHA was making those mandatory. I don't know if that was for sales or what, but I do know that if you roll your mower, there's nothing you can do in court for injuries if those are off the mower. I'd keep them around just in case.:usflag:

OSHA has required ROPS on mowers for many years (20 horse or larger used in a commercial application). You have always been able to order ROPS, manufactures started installing them.

You are correct if there is an injury & ROPS have been removed it will be an open and shut case

justanotherlawnguy
03-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Everyone seems to always make a stink about taking the ROPS off of their mower.

Some people live in places where ROPS just are not practical. Here in FL, unless you are mowing an overpass on the side of the interstate, you probably dont need them.

I have mowed hundreds of yards and never once thought to myself, "maybe i need my ROPS before I cut this section of grass".

Plus, try mowing around some orange trees with the ROPS, it just pulls the branches and knocks off all the fruit.

If I lived in NC or NY where the landscapes are not so simple and there was truly a danger of rolling the machine, then there would be no question about it.

lazer 46
03-04-2006, 03:20 PM

Some people live in places where ROPS just are not practical. Here in FL, unless you are mowing an overpass on the side of the interstate, you probably dont need them.

I have mowed hundreds of yards and never once thought to myself, "maybe i need my ROPS before I cut this section of grass".

Plus, try mowing around some orange trees with the ROPS, it just pulls the branches and knocks off all the fruit.

If I lived in NC or NY where the landscapes are not so simple and there was truly a danger of rolling the machine, then there would be no question about it.

I live in NY and the first thing I did was take the ROPS off the new Lazer. I have to go under too many branches to have those things on. Any slope I think is at all questionable I use the walk behind.

MTR
03-04-2006, 03:32 PM

Think about mowing propererties that have children playground on backyard! PIA, all those merrygoround, tampoline, and kid step and rock climbing struture! try mowing those with rops on your Z...amen, it takes longer than a 21er!

Luvs2Play
03-04-2006, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=extoro]OSHA has required ROPS on mowers for many years (20 horse or larger used in a commercial application). You have always been able to order ROPS, manufactures started installing them.

This is something I had not heard of, I have been buying 20+hp mowers for several years, Last year was the first mower I have ever had that came with a ROPS (Grasshopper with 27hp). In August I purchased a Hustler with a Honda 24hp, it came with no ROPS. While I don't doubt you, I am curious why not all mowers come with them. Personally, I don't use them, going under a stout branch will put the mower upside down if the operator doesn't get off the handle fast enough.

Precision
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM

two things.

one is that ROPS isn't always saving you from tip over on a hill. It also helps if you have ground give way beneath you, like along a poorly built retention or sea wall.

second I could care less about knockingoff the fruit, it is when a limb or guy wire gets caught in the ROPS. That can almost kill you too.

newz7151
03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=extoro]OSHA has required ROPS on mowers for many years (20 horse or larger used in a commercial application). You have always been able to order ROPS, manufactures started installing them.

This is something I had not heard of, I have been buying 20+hp mowers for several years, Last year was the first mower I have ever had that came with a ROPS (Grasshopper with 27hp). In August I purchased a Hustler with a Honda 24hp, it came with no ROPS. While I don't doubt you, I am curious why not all mowers come with them. Personally, I don't use them, going under a stout branch will put the mower upside down if the operator doesn't get off the handle fast enough.

The only thing i can find pertaining to someting about 20+hp engines is at the link below.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10957

It would appear that this would apply only to a tractor used in agriculture though.

mowergal
03-05-2006, 06:28 AM
It started out just for the garden tractors, then I think it was a couple of years ago someone rolled a ZTR and sued the manufactor because their was no roll over protection. The facts I heard about they were mowing on a steep bank which to me someone would use a trimmer on even to steep for a walk behind. People are just to sue happy then the government gets involved.

Many it was four years ago now not real sure