PDA

View Full Version : Truck Problem 2: hitch is stuck in receiver!

bigjeeping
03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I cannot pull it out of the receiver. I think it's rusted in pretty bad. I've tried spraying multiple rust products in there... I've also spent hours banging on it with a hammer/sledge. I've tried angling a jack on it and prying it out. I've tried chaining to another truck and pulling it out (the road was snow covered and we ended up pulling eachother back and forth!)

The things which I have in questions are......

1) Torching it.... will this work? What type of torch?

2) Chaining to a large tree, driving like 20mph and putting the truck in Neutral before the chain is pulled....... what do you think?

climber
03-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I would take it to someone who has an abrassive blast machine (like painting but it shoots out sand, removes paint, rust, dirt, etc.) That should work. Dont try chaining to a tree that will only result in a bad outcome.
Dan

BSDeality
03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
get an air chisel you should be able to nose it in and shake it loose.

CrewCutEnterprises
03-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Um... Get a new receiver.

i had the same problem, your gonna spend like $300.00 triing to get it out.

new hitch new ball.. $250.00

gene gls
03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
get an air chisel you should be able to nose it in and shake it loose.

Lots of heat and a big sledge. Beat the crap out of it. I had same problem.

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
soak it with diesel fuel for a few days, then use an 02 torch with a rose bud tip to get it hot and a smack with a hammer will break the rust holding it, if not hook it to a tree get her red hot again and drive away slowly because it won't be real tight any more

mcwlandscaping
03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok, if your going to try the 20MPH on the tree idea, get the vid camera, i want to see it!!lol, Ide go with Macs idea, should work

befnme
03-01-2006, 08:41 PM
its just a suggestion but try to spray it down real good with pb blaster and try to hit it back in a little to get it loosened up then try to pull it out.

bigjeeping
03-01-2006, 08:43 PM
What's an air chisel?

Olderthandirt - how would I soak it in diesel? I mean there's no literal way to soak it.. i guess I could just keep pouring it on. I do have access to an oxy torch and that was my next plan.

sheshovel
03-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Don't hurt a tree ya dummie!

davidcalhoun
03-01-2006, 08:48 PM
1) Park the truck on a downward incline (or use a bumper jack to lift the backend up).
2) Spray the heck out of it with PB Blaster, tap it several times while spraying it, and let it sit for a few hours.
3) Get the sledge back out and start persuading it BOTH ways while keeping it lubed (yes, I mean tap it in further at first if you have to).
4) Maybe get a tool like a hammer drill and get some vibration on it.

If you do use a torch, heat only the male end with the proper torch tip (don't use a cutting tip).

UNISCAPER
03-01-2006, 08:58 PM
We ended up using a torch to slice the inside if the ball end very carefully and then using an air chisel to shrink the tubing diamter and eventually beat the thing out.

You can if you feather the torch tip, peel the metal away without damaging the inside if the reciever. I would not suggest it if you are not experienced enough with a torch.

NEUSWEDE
03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
If you chain it to a tree and do 25 please video it. You will be spending like 2K fixing stuff. I hope you weren't serious, I laughed for the last 5min about this either way thanks for the laugh I needed it.

I would try hitting it back, soak the hell out of it for a long time, don't just apply once and walk away. Get the free can of fluid film on here and use the whole bottle!

Good luck and let us know what happens or post the video!

Restrorob
03-01-2006, 09:21 PM
I agree with befnme and David on the PB Blaster, That is some wicked stuff and would do the trick.

TURF DOCTOR
03-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Soak it in kroil this is the bomb,i'm with the board if you are planning to hook it to a tree this will rock make a vid.

lawnmaniac883
03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
First, remove that rusty azz ball if ya can. That will provide you with a much better striking area...second as stated above soak with pb blaster and keep smacking it. Also, it looks like you have moved it a little going out, correct? I mean the hole doesnt line up anymore. That means that it isnt rusted in, just locked up.

Edgewater
03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Just don't pull a trailer that needs a diff. ball:waving:

HAHAHAH

Heat cool, heal cool , heat cool and oh yeah , heat then cool

Adam

By cool I mean go from red hot to spraying with a hose

brunosplace
03-01-2006, 10:09 PM
use an air hammer at all angles against the hitch head, it'll break up the rust binding it.

TLS
03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Replace the reciever.

It's obviously rusted as well.

They're cheap, and easy to replace.

bigjeeping
03-01-2006, 10:17 PM
haha, yeah I wasn't really going to chain it to a treee.... but I've been wondering what the outcome would be. It might be the hitch, the tree, or the truck - Something would have to go!

Thanks for everyone's help so far..
New plan:
I'm going to try soaking it in a bunch of stuff, having my welder buddy torch it for me, then we'll bang on it for awhile.

Jpocket
03-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Um... Get a new receiver.

i had the same problem, your gonna spend like $300.00 triing to get it out.

new hitch new ball.. $250.00

HUH? just take a torch and heat the metal till it red and hammer it out with a sledge hammer.

gammon landscaping
03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
david why would you only heat the male end ???? the reason you use heat is to make the metal expand!!!! if you heated the male end it would get tighter, i had a contractor that had one on his van that had been there for years, it took me with a tourch and a 20lb sledge. you have to hit it hard. not a fun job no good way to get a swing but hit it hard . do not heat the male heat the female part, that is the only way it will loosen. some thank that if it gets hot it will lossen up, but you have to heat the right part

Lawn Masters
03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree with befnme and David on the PB Blaster, That is some wicked stuff and would do the trick.
I can attest to this myself. PB Blaster has loosened brake bleeders I would have otherwise broken trying to remove.

MY idea, remove the ball itself from the reciever, and BANG THE HELL OUT OF IT on that flat section. if that doesnt work, get a heavier hammer. :)

actually, use the suggested idea of heating the reciever itself, then get the hammer on that flat spot, and keep hitting it. eventually, it'll break loose.

TLS
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
So....let me get this straight....

All these methods will do nothing but make the reciever:
Heat stressed

Weaker

Looser

Still rusty inside

Like I said...Buy a new one and scrap the old one.

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 11:14 PM
What's an air chisel?

Olderthandirt - how would I soak it in diesel? I mean there's no literal way to soak it.. i guess I could just keep pouring it on. I do have access to an oxy torch and that was my next plan.

diasel fuel is the "old" cheap rust buster and it still works great. I have a couple of those squeeze oil cans that I fill up with fuel and keep squirting it around the hitch where it goes into the reciever and bang it a little to get the fuel to seep a little farther in. If you do this for a few days that might be all that you need to do, but if not when you heat it with the torch it will catch the very small amount of fuel between the reciever and hitch on fire and melt enough rust away to alow the hitch to slide out

trent515
03-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Why not try taking the ball off, and pulling the hell out of it with a slide hammer (if you have a good one), or put a bar in the hole, wedge it, and beat it out. As long as you don't damage the hole, but that is easier to replace than a whole new set-up.

CLARK LAWN
03-01-2006, 11:55 PM
DO NOT heat the reciever that will make it weak and it can crack and then you will loose your trailer. soak it with diesel fuel for a few days then drive it out with an air hammer or a hammer and chisel from the back side (under the truck) when you get it out clean inside the reciaver with a wire brush same with the ball mount then use never sieze on it from now on

Luvs2Play
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I've seen lots of advice, a couple I agree with, some I'm not so sure of. My question is why it needs to come out. I appears you have been using it the way it is for quite some time. Best of luck. My ideas have already been suggested..

Gravel Rat
03-02-2006, 12:38 AM
You hook a chain to the ball and the other end to a heavy object put some tension on it then get someone with a sledge hammer and smack the bar on either side. That sucker will come out that way. Its how we got a bar out of a receiver that was stuck in for atleast 5 years it was well rusted in.

My buddy was in the truck put some tension on so the wheels just started to spin. I had a 8lb sledge it only took 4 good smacks on either side the sucker popped out.

You don't really want to be putting excessive heat on a hitch you will distort it. Soak it down with a good weasel pizz and a BFH it will come out.

Try what I said I think you will be surprised it works.

sheshovel
03-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Right Mac..great advice..pour fuel on it then light it on fire!:clapping: :clapping: RIGHT..I am sure it would work but I woulden't want to try it.:p

olderthandirt
03-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Right Mac..great advice..pour fuel on it then light it on fire!:clapping: :clapping: RIGHT..I am sure it would work but I woulden't want to try it.:p

Ain't my jeep :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

grassmanak
03-02-2006, 03:10 AM
tree idea will work fine, 20mph probably a little fast, i had the same problem last year after winter, just hooked a chain around a tree put it in drive with 3-4 feet of slack, popped right out

work_it
03-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Yep, nothing like damaging a tree and possibly causing damage to your frame.

Stick to using PB-blaster and a hammer, or just replace it. Those were the most sound advice I've heard so far.

davidcalhoun
03-02-2006, 09:48 AM
gammon landscaping,

I should have been clearer. Heating with a torch as the last thing I would try on a hitch.

I am not that fond of changing the metal strength of a hitch that is used to pull my trailer and it's contents. Too much investment and too much liability at risk.

If I had to resort to using a torch, I would first assess if the receiver hitch (the female part mounted to vehicle frame) is structurely sound. If it is stucturely sound, I would rather heat up the cheapest component that I can replace easily. In this case it would be the drawbar/ball mount (the male part). The drawbar/ball mount only cost about $20+ VS the $160+ for the receiver hitch.

Since I would have already had a lot of rust buster stuff sprayed on/in the hitch from previous steps, I feel as though with the heat applied, and and good persuader, I would be successful in freeing it up with just heating up the ball mount.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-02-2006, 09:55 AM
pb blaster

TLS
03-02-2006, 10:00 AM
drive it out with an air hammer or a hammer and chisel from the back side (under the truck)

Most of todays recievers don't have an open tube. Most are sealed at the back end.

work_it
03-02-2006, 10:42 AM
gammon landscaping,

If I had to resort to using a torch, I would first assess if the receiver hitch (the female part mounted to vehicle frame) is structurely sound. If it is stucturely sound, I would rather heat up the cheapest component that I can replace easily. In this case it would be the drawbar/ball mount (the male part). The drawbar/ball mount only cost about $20+ VS the $160+ for the receiver hitch.

Since I would have already had a lot of rust buster stuff sprayed on/in the hitch from previous steps, I feel as though with the heat applied, and and good persuader, I would be successful in freeing it up with just heating up the ball mount.
I seriously doubt you would be successful. What you're suggesting would expand the drawbar/ball mount (the male part) inside of the receiver hitch. That would lock them together tighter than ever.

creeksidelc
03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
So did you get it out yet, and if so how?

GreenMonster
03-02-2006, 03:51 PM
****** it with PB blaster, and then use an enerpac, or porta power to push it out. Maybe your welder buddy has access to one.

In the future, take the hitch out when you're not using it

CLARK LAWN
03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I seriously doubt you would be successful. What you're suggesting would expand the drawbar/ball mount (the male part) inside of the receiver hitch. That would lock them together tighter than ever.
this will expand the male end then but it also will break up the rust lock and when it cools it will be loose again but like i said before DO NOT use heat if you have to go that far take it off and throw it away and buy a new one

OutdoorExtras
03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Greenmonster has it right! Soak it spray oil and then use a Porta Power to push it out, it'll come right out.:)

They make a paste (also in spray form) called "anti seize" just clean up the old hitch and put a thin coat on it next time.

lawnmaniac883
03-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Why not get a force blower? Apparantly they can move 45lb bricks, why not a hitch receiver? LOL

gammon landscaping
03-03-2006, 12:13 AM
thank you work_it

i was starting to think that i was the only one here that has ever spent time in a metal fab shop.

now what peice cost what has nothing to do with what part you heat, taking a torch to the hitch will not weaken the metal (to any extent to cause conseren) unless you cool it by means of water/ freezing something like that. when that hitch was manufactured it was heated and pressed to that shape and all of it was welded together. when they welded all that together they did not have some kind of magical welder that does it with out heat. i have spent my life around heavy equipment, i have done all kind of things that would make some of your jaws drop. we welded a bell housing back together after it had a 22 inch long crack in it. i still drive this truck weekly. i have gotten hitches out like this before. but i am ranting...getting late

use the heat it is all that will work
there is no need to go buy something you already have, that is just wastful
i don't think that 1/32 of an inch of rust in a hitch that is 3/8 thick is going to be somthing that i would lose sleep over
get heat and get a big hammer and get on with life

all ferris
03-03-2006, 09:00 AM
I think the best idea would be to just go down to the local car dealer and TRADE that thing in on a new one with reciever already installed and make them throw in a hitch on the deal.:laugh:

Paradise Landscapes
03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
I had the same problem too. After I got mine out, I rubbed grease all over the reciever and the hitch.

UNISCAPER
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
As said before. The blue wrench is not going to hurt the metal on the recivever because it is not tempered. The reciever sections are just hot rolled square tubing and are welded after they are cut to place. The hitch is not tempered after it has been assembled at the factory so heat won't hurt it.

If worse comes to worse, you could cut out the reciever part of the unit and weld in a new one. Doing so, you would need to remove the hitch from the truck, torch off 6 bolts and you got it, just be careful of wiring.

M RASCOE&SONS
03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Ok, if your going to try the 20MPH on the tree idea, get the vid camera, i want to see it!!lol, Ide go with Macs idea, should work
that is great :drinkup: :drinkup: :clapping:

RedWingsDet
03-04-2006, 08:09 PM
These guys that are telling you not to use the tree idea are a bunch of wimps.

Just tie it to a tree and launch your truck to 25mph, oh and video tape it too!

Or use a telephone pole, fire hydrant, or have your kid hold one end of the chain!!! It'll work!

sheshovel
03-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey who you callin a whimp?HUH?
Say that to my face sukka!

RedWingsDet
03-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey who you callin a whimp?HUH?
Say that to my face sukka!

WIMPPPPPPPPPPP WHIMPPPPPPPPP

start2finish
03-04-2006, 08:17 PM
why not hook a tractor or machine to the drawbar and pull gently with the truck. Even hit the hitch with a sledge while pulling. Use some common sense here though. make sure you are clear of things so you don't get hurt. as for heating the tubing, not a bad idea. Just make sure you heat the FEMALE end. When you heat steel it makes all the little atoms run around faster and they use more room bumping into one another so it gets bigger (laymans explaination) as for the strength of the tubing being weakened, Don't get the thing molten hot just heat until it gets a little red and move to the other side. Then try pulling or beating the thing out. (IT WILL BE HOT!!)

lawnmaniac883
03-04-2006, 09:25 PM
These guys that are telling you not to use the tree idea are a bunch of wimps.

Just tie it to a tree and launch your truck to 25mph, oh and video tape it too!

Or use a telephone pole, fire hydrant, or have your kid hold one end of the chain!!! It'll work!

LOL, sounds like something my dad would have me do! Here ya go, just hold on tight:laugh: . I bet the you would jerk the thing right outta there if ya had ohh I dont know maybe 100 ft of slack, get er up to 50 and hold on tight :rolleyes:

RedWingsDet
03-04-2006, 09:26 PM
LOL, sounds like something my dad would have me do! Here ya go, just hold on tight:laugh: . I bet the you would jerk the thing right outta there if ya had ohh I dont know maybe 100 ft of slack, get er up to 50 and hold on tight :rolleyes:

Better put roller blades on to keep ya afloat. haah

jd6323
03-05-2006, 12:21 AM
go find a stopped train...hook it up with a good chain and wait for the train to start moving then start haulin the other way. If it just keeps draggin you and the hitch never comes out then it just wasn't meant to be.

LawnMowerMan3875
03-05-2006, 12:47 AM
I would defintly agree with starttofinish. Heat will do the trick. If you can't get it lose by forcing it out, try forcing it in and then back out. You may have to heat it up again to finish getting it out. But listen to starttofinish, don't turn it into molten metel. If you do, your going to have to replace the hitch because the next time it gets hit hard enough. It will break like glass...JMA..

fyshstykr
03-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I think the best idea would be to just go down to the local car dealer and TRADE that thing in on a new one with reciever already installed and make them throw in a hitch on the deal.:laugh:
My thoughts exactly.;) ;)