PDA

View Full Version : Ever quit a job w/o one lined up??

Jdmtnbikr
03-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Im talking a regular 40+hr a week job working for someone else. I work for a interior plantscaping company that I have been with for 3+ years and am really really sick of it. Management has gone to ****, people are leaving left and right, no room for growth etc etc. I have looked for other jobs and have gone on a few interviews the last few weeks that went "ok".
Aside from that I am *trying* to get my own side landscaping/interior plantscaping business off the ground, not much luck at all (1 client) so far. Then again I havent put a TON of effort into it thus far.

Question is, anyone just up and leave a job in the past without one lined up? What happened? Mistake? (obviously it kind of is in a way, but maybe it will light some motivational fire??) Im thinking the feeling would be SOO good just to quit, but not sure what would happen when that feeling goes away :)

Thoughts?

LB1234
03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
grass is always greener on the other side...

sorry I couldn't resist...:waving:

1MajorTom
03-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Quitting a job without having another one lined up is just downright stupid. You have to work right? Why stick yourself in a situation where you might struggle finding work for a few months. Have a job before you quit.

With that said, yep, I was a stupid one that quit a long term job without knowing what I was going to do. I walked right upstairs into the boss's office, he was actually taking a nap in his recliner, when I barged in. Wow, thinking back on it, I can't believe I said the things I did, and yes it felt really good. But later I realized it was just plain dumb to burn that bridge like that.
Don't quit in a haste, take care of yourself first and find the employment you need before you tell 'em to shove it.

Jdmtnbikr
03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
grass is always greener on the other side...

sorry I couldn't resist...:waving:

Trust me, anything would be greener. The grass on this side is not only brown, but it hasnt been watered in 2 years :) The only sweet thing about the job is I usually work 6-1030am, and get paid the full 8 hours. So that does leave me time to look for other work. Just really really sick of it there, but I guess I should just stick it out :cry:

mcwlandscaping
03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
How do you manage that? Ide stick it out, you work half a day and get paid for a full day, or am i not understanding it right

Jdmtnbikr
03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
How do you manage that? Ide stick it out, you work half a day and get paid for a full day, or am i not understanding it right

I work an independant route in the field, once my route is done, I am done. I can't see how they think it's 8 hours worth of work :) Again, I love that part of it. I just feel in a total rut there, part of that is my own fault though I realize.

sheshovel
03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Acually by doing just that..I started in this biz.

Jdmtnbikr
03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Acually by doing just that..I started in this biz.

Yea, seems you are the exception. That scenario is what keeps playing in my head. Quit the job, magically everything comes together. That would be sweet.

Lawn Masters
03-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I did that last year, then I was looking for another job for a LONG time, didnt decide to get into this on my own till a few months ago, and now its starting to pay off.

Necroshine
03-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I did. I spent 4 years with Home Depot in Vegas, moved to Florida and transferred to a really crappy store. Spent two days there before I walked out. I got a job as a Merchandiser for Scotts the week, so I lucked out.

Jay Ray
03-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Working 4.5 for 8 hrs pay, I could put up with a lot. That would pay a lot of bills and provide opportunity to look for another job or start a part time business.

Really they are giving you 3.5 hrs of pure gravy every day.

Madstriper
03-02-2006, 01:21 AM
I did. I spent 4 years with Home Depot in Vegas, moved to Florida and transferred to a really crappy store. Spent two days there before I walked out. I got a job as a Merchandiser for Scotts the week, so I lucked out.

Fellow HD guy, still there though. Trying to get the LCO off the ground so I can leave. But I hope I wont burn the bridge.
NECOSHINE .......please PM me if you can, would like to hear how your liked working for Scott and what the pay was like.

out4now
03-02-2006, 01:22 AM
Been there, done that. Bad idea. Avoid it if you can.

General Landscaping
03-02-2006, 02:10 AM
I'm in about the same boat:confused:

This friday, I'm putting in notice. (In a civil manner)

I'll be returning from a honeymoon on the 21st with no full time job, a small route, a season that is about to explode, and a lot of free time for marketing.

If you have that much afternoon available, it would be advisable to get your "legs" under you before you bail out:walking:
I have found the regular job to be MUCH more tolerable while I'm building my business. It seems like a light at the end of the tunnel thing.

PMLAWN
03-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Just a note, Does not happen much in this field but just be sure ( if you go out on your own) that there is not a "No Compete",. Did you sign anything when you started?
Just be sure

Splicer
03-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Yea, seems you are the exception. That scenario is what keeps playing in my head. Quit the job, magically everything comes together. That would be sweet.
But unfortunately unless you are independantly wealthy, that is not reality. Don't let anyone kid you. IF you are to quit without having anything lined up, have a MINIMUM of 6 mos living expenses in the bank.

I am a contractor in another field and there are good times and there are bad. The bad part for me is the bad times are longer each time around. Now if I were you I would just keep with the gig you have now, and go out and do your thing. Hell, I normaly work 12-14hrs/day and do not have time to get things set up. Setting things up is always more difficult when you have no $$$ coming in.

Good Luck to you:drinkup: . Burnout (what you suffer from) sucks. Been there a few times myself.

Necroshine
03-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Well, I can't PM so, here goes...

Scotts was alright. I got 12 bucks an hour, of which 2 were non taxed which payed for mileage. For 30 hrs a week, I pulled in 623 bucks after taxes. Not too shabby.

The part I didn't care for was being pulled one way by my boss, and the other way by the store. Basically, I was told we had to do things this way, the store says no, we can't do it that way, my boss says we have to do it our way.

We are no more than store support, and should go along with what the store wants. Its really sorta political, kinda shifty at times. I wouldn't reccommend it.

I jumped ship back in January because I didn't want the headaches to continue :hammerhead:

I work for Lowes now, which will help out cause they'll be really flexible with me when I start up. Lowes is like Depot pre Nardelli. Not too bad.

PS, Don't get a vendor job with Spectracide, they are the shadiest bunch yet

olderthandirt
03-02-2006, 01:05 PM
I did it, quit a job that most people would love to be able to get in {Auto worker} and had nothing but a little experience. That was Monday morning, Weds I did my first lawn install and made the same amount$$ as if I worked all wk. 12 hrs 7 days. But that was a long time ago and there was no competition.
Theres no way would I quit a job today with out having work lined up and it would have to be twice the amount of work that i think I would need to live on.

Jdmtnbikr
03-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Just a note, Does not happen much in this field but just be sure ( if you go out on your own) that there is not a "No Compete",. Did you sign anything when you started?
Just be sure

Yea you bring up a good point. Legally I can not take any of our companies accounts for 1 year after I quit. I wouldn't go after them anyway. Also, legally no one can operate a side business of their own while working for this company. This is a ridiculous rule, and I know quite a few of the guys don't abide by it. We gotta make a living. As long as we go for residences, small stuff that our company wouldn't bother with we don't run into trouble.

Madstriper
03-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info Necroshine, Ive heard alot about Pre-Nardelli. I really think he is trying to turn HD in to a Walmart...shelves clean and full...customers can help themselves......I have only been there two years.......dept super for 18 months of it..........loved it when I got there....hating it now. Thanks for the tip about being a Vendor, kinda thought it would be like that.

Had a buddy at HD, another Dept head, came in this morning and just quit. Said it wasnt worth it, human resources lady said to wait 3 more weeks so he can get the bonus..........He said....no thanks.....I dont need the money that bad.............LOL...........loved it.
But he has his crap together, couple years worth of living expenses in the bank, so I am sure he is gonna be fine. Called him today, asked him what kind of job he would be looking for, he said he'd worry about it next year, time to catch up on all his project around his house....and remodel mom in laws kitchen..............he is ONE HAPPY CAMPER now. More power to him.

wantstolearn
03-04-2006, 01:13 AM
I did exactly what you are thinking about doing approximately 1 1/2 months ago, but there was a lot to the story which I won't and can't go into here.

I can't tell anyone that it is a good idea to up and quit hastily, but it depends entirely on the situation that the person is in.

--the best investment you will ever make is an investment in yourself--

Necroshine
03-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the info Necroshine, Ive heard alot about Pre-Nardelli. I really think he is trying to turn HD in to a Walmart...shelves clean and full...customers can help themselves......I have only been there two years.......dept super for 18 months of it..........loved it when I got there....hating it now. Thanks for the tip about being a Vendor, kinda thought it would be like that.

Had a buddy at HD, another Dept head, came in this morning and just quit. Said it wasnt worth it, human resources lady said to wait 3 more weeks so he can get the bonus..........He said....no thanks.....I dont need the money that bad.............LOL...........loved it.

Nothing wrong with the shelves being clean and full, you can't sell stuff if its in the overhead :hammerhead:
I work at Lowes right now part time and I actually like it. Being a vendor, I got to know how things work and the political structures of stores, and got in at a good one. I always get a kick out of the Depot bashing by lower level management and long term employees, what little they know is that they are embracing the same changes that Depot did 5-8 years ago. I don't have the heart to tell them :)
Its flexible, so when my business gets together, I can schedule really easy my days and whatnot.

PMLAWN
03-04-2006, 08:38 AM

But he has his crap together, couple years worth of living expenses in the bank, so I am sure he is gonna be fine. Called him today, asked him what kind of job he would be looking for, he said he'd worry about it next year, time to catch up on all his project around his house....and remodel mom in laws kitchen..............he is ONE HAPPY CAMPER now. More power to him.

How big of a man is he:rolleyes:

Did he sell his stock????

PlantSolutions
03-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I was laid off January 2005 and my best friend who has cancer at 39 told me to do something I love and get into landscape design, so I did. I love it. I went to Rutgers for cont. ed. which I definitely recommend to further education. I then started work at a wholesale nursery to gain better horticultural experience and I have started my own design business part time.

Is it scarey? Oh, YES!!!! I made some big $$$ in the corporate world as a sales and marketing director. Now, well that's why I decided on a side business, but I can say, I do like a steady paycheck and benefits.

I still wonder if I made the right decision, but I am loving the person I am becoming because I love what I do. And, everyone in this business has to sell and market themselves.

rfed32
03-04-2006, 04:16 PM
done it to many times....but hey its always worked out for me...but i am also only 19 lol...but right now i am makin almost a grand a week and then i landscape and plow on the side so im makin another 500-800 a week from that so i am happy right now lol