PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming myself to a new adventure!

firehoyt
03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Let me start by thanking all of you who participate in making this forum what it is! I've got several friends in the business but trying to get them to take the time for friendly advice is like pulling teeth. I've gotten most everything I've needed from this site. I'm a fulltime firefighter/paramedic and I'm getting into this as my second job. I've purchased a 36" Toro Belt drive floating deck with a 17hp Kohler, and a 21" toro. I wasnt sold on Toro and was leaning toward Gravely but I went to a "PRO DAY" sale in Birmingham and the Toro salesman was great! Still waiting for funding for my Stihl blower, trimmer, and edger. All pulled on a 5 X 8 trailer (parking issues at home). I should have my business cards back in a few days and I'll put one up for ya'lls opinion. The hardest thing I have found about starting out is just that, getting started! Everyone I talk to say...references, references, references....but you have to get a few yards on your own in order to establish those references. Any ideas on how to do that? Going to try flyers, door to door. So if anyone has any business in the Birmingham area, hit me up! I need it! Again thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

Mower 4 Less

Ocean Side
03-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Good Luck, I am in the same situation on seacoast NH, Full Time FF. Looking to do this on my days off. I also just purchased a 36' Pro Line as well. Any info that you would like to share or would like to get I am more than happy to help with. Good Luck!

RobertVF
03-02-2006, 06:53 PM
All the best and welcome to the site!

sheshovel
03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Welcome!from me too

SamTheLawnMan
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm a Fire/Medic as well.... GREAT second job/income.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

salandscape
03-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Try unconventional approaches, everyone gets a yellopage ad, to expenseive somewhat effective. try the flyers, spend a little extra and have them professionally printed, it will give you creditablity. For your message for the flyer post it up here and ask for feedback, you'll get tons!

B&D Lawn Care
03-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Good luck I know a lot of FF's that engage in this as part time.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Good Luck! Welcome to LS.:)

medimac
03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the site. I am a flight paramedic in MD and the type of schedules we work should allow you to make a pretty good go at it. This will be my 3rd year in business with 2 years previous experience working with a friend. What we did our first year was prior to the season begining we hit the target neighborhoods that we wanted to be in with flyers. We also ran ads prior to and during the season in the locals papers. Before the season started we had 9 customers lined up. By season end we had 35 customers. Our second year we finished we 75 customers with 3 of them being commercial. This year we should break the 100 customer mark.
My advise to you is if you can pick up a few customers now before the season begins you should be alright. Just make sure to be meticulous and pay attention to detail on every yard you do and in no time you should have customers coming to you just from the neighborhoods that you are already in. If you are reliable and show up every week, perform quality work at reasonable prices ( don't undercut yourself trying to get the work) and communicate with your customers you should have no trouble having more work then you can handle by yourself by mid season.

PMLAWN
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the site. You best bet would be fliers, and soon you will have too much work:) Good luck

daveintoledo
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
they will start refering you to other people they know....

welcome....:usflag:

mcwlandscaping
03-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Sounds like you have really started in the right direction and have used this site to its fullest so far. Welcome to LS, i think youll really enjoy it here! Post some pics of your equipment up, i and im sure other people would really like to see it!

firehoyt
03-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, I've purchased my blower, Stihl BR340 and trimmer, Stihl FS110R, and I have flyers made up. I'm going to post my flyer and business card just to get ya'lls opinion. Let me know how it looks!!!!

greenpastureslc
03-04-2006, 03:59 PM
With the flier if your going door to door with these I would get rid of the phone # tabs on the bottom of the page. Acctually I'd get rid of those tabs all together. What I do even if I post my flier on a bulliten board is put up a few cards with it.

Others will have more suggestions this is just what stood out to me.

PMLAWN
03-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Maybe I am too deep but "I will do mower" sounds a little off.
and "so you can do less" sounds like the customer is lazy.
I know where you are going but maybe word it a little different???
My catch line is 'We Give You Leisure Time"-- same area of thinking.

firehoyt
03-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Well, actually the flyer I posted was for bulletin board before I got my cards. The one's going door to door dont have the number. As far as my catch phrase, I wanted to incorporate my name into it. It's the best I could think of and all the feedback from friends and family is positive.

PMLAWN
03-05-2006, 05:54 AM
It's the best I could think of and all the feedback from friends and family is positive.

Not trying to be argumentative, but F&F may be nice and also really have no idea what works in the LCO field.
We don't know you so could care less if we hurt you feelings and also we have all done this before and have tested a lot of different things.
Just something to keep in mind:)