PDA

View Full Version : mulch prices

john19
03-01-2006, 11:53 PM
I Am In The St. Louis Area And Would Like An Idea Of What People Are Charging For Delivery And Spreading A Yard Of Mulch. What Is Good Profit Per Yard.

Madstriper
03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
OK, I am pretty new here too, so I will tell you what most everyone else will tell you. Do a search! Good luck, you should be able to find plenty of ideas from past postings.

Steve LawnWorks
03-05-2006, 05:37 PM
$40.00 / yard of mulch and $5 to 8 per bale of straw. mulch.com is a good sight for prices. Also you could call a local landscape company and act like a potential customer and the'll answer the question.:clapping:

Darr57
03-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I typically charge between $80 and $90 per yard installed.

MysticLandscape
03-05-2006, 06:38 PM
$80 a yd installed.

beck
03-05-2006, 10:18 PM
The price of mulch will vary between $10 and $25. Don't forget to add tax on top of the price.
On average you can figure 1 yard per hour on installation. So use your hourly rate times the # of yards of mulch.
Depending on the location I will charge 35-75 for delivery.

We also charge for edging of the beds separately.

What part of St. Louis are you from.

M RASCOE&SONS
03-05-2006, 11:34 PM
i get any where from $50 to $65 per yard spread depending on how far you have to move the mulch..

CAG
03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
I think 1hr per yard is a little much..Depending on what equipment you have and where the mulch has to go the time is of course going to vary. But if you were pitch forking it of a truck you could unload 3 yards in 15-20 minutes working at a good pace ..In all mulch is very light and easy to handle..

beck
03-06-2006, 07:48 AM
The one yard per hour would be for a pitchfork/wheelbarrow method. We generally use the true temper 8 cubic foot(2 wheel, yellow) wheelbarrows. It takes a little over 3 loads to make a yard, lets just say 4. This would give 15 minutes to load wheel unload and spread per wheelbarrow.(We generally spread after 3-4 loads)
As far as the beds go they need to be accessible with the wheelbarrow and within 40-50 feet of the pile/truck, otherwise the time will increase dramatically.
For example we have one group of condos that we have to unload the mulch by pitchfork because the bushes are too close together that one takes approx. 1hr 30 min per yard.

rodneyskip
03-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I can understand if a place has too much landscaping that it will maybe take you 1 hour per yard in the tough spots, but I charge extra for this- this is where the price per yard breaks down.

Otherwise you can spread at least 2 yards an hour solo at a moderate pace.

get rich
03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I spread a whole heck of alot of mulch solo last year with tru temper, not a home owner type and forked it out of the truck and or trailer. And it took a pretty good pace for me to move two yards in an hour. And i am younger and nicknamed "THE MULE" for hauling millions of cartias of rock, mulch, dirt, and even firewood through snow in the winter. My fore arms are very similiar to popeyes, and i have great balance because of my years doing this. But when it comes tomulch i have to agree the way i quote it is to say my one hour rate of plabor per yard of mulch and what ever i charge for the yard of mulch. Unless it is a very good customer who gives me tons of work, then i might break my back and legs to haul two yards in an hour for him. Way i look at it is take it or leave it, i got better things to do than to cut some average joe a deal on breakin my back. Because $60 installed is still a pretty good deal...$ 35 or so installed is not a good deal FOR ME! I'd rather spend my time de-thatchin or erating, maybe even install a couple lawns in the spring that too haul a bunch of mulch for very little profit.

rodneyskip
03-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Aha- forking out of a truck or trailer will slow you down- if you got a dump bed it would go much faster forking it into the wheel barrow-- you can keep the mulch at the edge of the bed and fork it in the wheel barrow a heck of a lot faster wth a dump. Otherwise you have to spend time moving the mulch further.

This is another example of having the right tools for the job can save you time and make you money.

hackitdown
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I can do two yards per hour, solo, but that is shoveling it off of pavement. With my helper, we do 4 per hour easy. I have it all delivered by the supplier, and specify that he drops it on the customer's driveway. I use a giant manure shovel, and a 10 yard-2 wheeled orange wheelbarrow. The supplier has a 3 yard minimum for delivery, so therefore I have a three yard minimum. I charge 60/yd installed regardless of how much time it takes (unless it looks like a nightmare job), and paid about 27/yd for mulch last year.

I have shoveled it off my trailer, but then you are looking at 1 yard/hr, plus the pickup and delivery time.

hillibilly
03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I have a customer that wants just his front flower bed, which is about and average 5-7feet awayfrom his house. It also curves around his house to the side. All in all the lenght is about 75ft long. There are also some weeds here and there that need to be pulled up. What does everbody think would be a good estimate on this, if I provide the mulch?

RedWingsDet
03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I buy hardwood for $20, and $35 for dyed, and I charge $80-$95 per yard installed.

hillibilly
03-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I buy it for $20 for hardwood, and $35 for dyed, and I charge $80-$95 per yard installed.
Was that directed at me? If so thanks lol.

RedWingsDet
03-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Was that directed at me? If so thanks lol.

it was directed to whoever started the thread, I didnt read any other posts.

but i read your above post.... whats the width of the area that is 75ft long?

dKoester
03-07-2006, 06:57 PM
If you mulch at 3 inches it would come to 4 yards. I used 6 feet away from house as an average width x 75 feet x .25 divided by 27 cubic feet. Try to charge 55 or more per yard installed and add your preparation fee (weeds, debris of any kind and bed edging)

BRIDGE577
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
In Ohio we get 55 per yard residential 65 commercial installed but here we get 2x shred for 15 and hardwood colors for 19 thats mulch delivery edging and installation I always put all that on the estimate the more you tell them that is involved the more you can rasie your prices. We use huge pitch forks and put dow alot of mulch so far the most is 65 yards 4 guys 10 hours with edging wheeling it all.:weightlifter:

JKOOPERS
03-08-2006, 12:29 AM
In Ohio we get 55 per yard residential 65 commercial installed but here we get 2x shred for 15 and hardwood colors for 19 thats mulch delivery edging and installation I always put all that on the estimate the more you tell them that is involved the more you can rasie your prices. We use huge pitch forks and put dow alot of mulch so far the most is 65 yards 4 guys 10 hours with edging wheeling it all.:weightlifter:
thats just insane i would have charged aleast another $1,000 just to edge.

hillibilly
03-08-2006, 07:38 AM
it was directed to whoever started the thread, I didnt read any other posts.

but i read your above post.... whats the width of the area that is 75ft long?
About six feet on average.

BRIDGE577
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
we have hydrolic wakbehind edgers it takes no time at all to edge with minimal clean up.