PDA

View Full Version : Scag Or Husqvarna?????

sdalexander
03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I have a problem. I am looking at getting a new z-turn mower. I have narrowed it down to a Scag 52" Turf tiger w/ 27hp A/C Kohler and a Husqvarna 52" LZ-5227TXP w/ the same Kohler engine.

I already own a Scag walk behind and have no complaints. A friend swears by the Husqvarna z-turns. I have researched everyhing and then some!! I was told that Husqvarna had a 5 year warranty, NOT TURE!!!! It only comes with a 2 yr. engine, 3 yr pump and wheel motors. The 5 yr covers everything else. The advertisement is certainly misleading!!

Scag has the same engine warranty, 3 yr deck, and 3 yrs on the spindles. The Scag will only cost $400.00 more than the Husquvarnas.

Question: Can I expect the same performance, reliability, maintenance cost on both mowers, durability on both? IYO, Which is the best investment?

Like I said Scag walkbehind, 5 years and no complaints! Tough decision or not?

mowerman90
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
They're both good machines, but the Scag has a much better reputation. I think if you would demo each one you would clearly choose the Scag.

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
any information about gravely 152z

greenscapes,inc.
03-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I have a husqvarna 48 " with the 21 hp Kawasaki and I have loved it so far. Never owned a scag. Im sure scag makes a great machine also. Demo them both and see which one you like better.

Sir mowsalot
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Never had a husqevarna, but i do have a scag wildcat i bought new last oct. and i love it. Before i purchased it i demoed a ton of other brands(though not husq) and it really impressed me with the quality of cut, and it is built like a tank. Also if you have many hills go with the scag. It impressively holds a hill. Plus they hold their value IMO.

TopNotchLS
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I own a 2004 52" tiger cub with the honda 24hp. So far I love it. I've used John deer's at my old job. I've demoed grasshopper and ferris before and I went with the Scag. One reason is because of the tri steel deck, it's better then a stamped. I was also wondering why are you going with a turf tiger. The turf tiger goes 2mph faster, but has the same size deck as mine. My mower cost $7200. I don't know what prices you've gotten. Maybe a turf tiger is better for you then anything eles.

mag360
03-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I have both.

In 2004 I know Scag had the better machine (my Husky is an '04). However, I know they have made some improvements since then. Here is a list of parts failed on my Turf Tiger and Husky.

2001 Turf Tiger 25/60, 1200+hrs
1--hydro belt(around 800 hrs)
1--deck idler pulley(around 800hrs or so)
1--deck drive belt(due to the idler pulley failure)
1--deck gearbox (at over 1000hrs)
1--PTO clutch (at over 1000hrs)

2004 Husqvarna XP 27/60 700+hrs
1--hydro belt(dry rotted, it never really broke--at over 500 hrs)
2--deck drive belts(around 300 and 600 hrs)
2--deck spindles(around 200 and 500 hrs)

Husky really lacks for traction, and hydros are very jerky.
It does leave a nice cut and is fast. Not good in wet grass though.

I do wish I had bought another Tiger at the time, but I wouldn't rule out Husky's new models as they have made improvements.

ThirdDay
03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
If these are your ony 2 choices then I would go with the Scag hands down no question!

Jake's Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 05:26 PM
I would go with the scag since you already got one and like it. Why buy a different brand?

sdalexander
03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the input, thats why I love this site.
Answering your questions:
QPC- Here in East Tennessee I don'y know of any Gravely dealers, sorry no info on the 152z.

mowerman/greenscapes- I have demoed both and actually have cut a little on both machines. I can't tell much of a difference in the two. I own a scag W/B now and have had no problems.

TopNotchLS- I am going with the turf tiger because the turf tiger has a shaft driven cutting deck, and seems to be built a little heavier. Also, can't pass up the price on the turf tiger. I do understand what you're saying.
I have a friend with a wildcaty 52", he said it rides like a bobcat front loader, any truth to that? I thought the turff tiger rode great, but don't know about the others.

Sirmowsalot- Hills, Yes! This is East TN, nothing but hills. It's like the Forrest Gump of hills here; big hills, small hills, steep hills, you get the point!! Pretty much Scag, Exmark, and Husquvarna are all that is ran around here. Alot of my decision is based on service, poor service at the exmark dealer, shame.
Every one swears by a scag here!! Resale is something I didn't think of, thanks, I believe that makes the decision right there!

Thanks for all of your In put.

Green-Pro
03-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Not knocking Husky but IMO your not comparing apples to apples when looking at these two machines. I'd take the Scag over the Husky any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'm a tad biased:o I own two Scags and can't see myself going any other brand except maybe Hustler.

TopNotchLS
03-02-2006, 05:51 PM
The only thing that i've wish I would of gotten on my tiger cub is a better seat. So far everything is great.

Envy Lawn Service
03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Just do a search with my user name and the word Husqvarna or Yazoo/Kees. (same mower)
Nevermind, I'll even do it for you.
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=778208

Do a little browsing there and you'll realize that doesn't matter if the warranty is 5 years, 10 years, whatever, if they don't honor it....

Then go buy yourself a that Scag you have your eye on.
You'll be far better off.

steve45
03-03-2006, 07:46 AM
I've got a Scag, and I'm happy. My wife had a Husqvarna sewing machine (Viking) that was an absolute POS. It has never worked right and it was a very expensive machine. It has been to the dealer a dozen times and back to the factory twice.

I will NEVER own another Husqvarna product!!!

BufalinoLand
03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
scag for sure, not a question in my mind

48 beltwb
61 tiger
52 hydro wb

work em to death, nothing but oil and belts so far

Scag is by far the most bullet proof units I have seen, its seems others are made of tin foil compared to the scags

also, image is everything, i like to match

DixieFerris
03-03-2006, 08:30 AM
I tried both last year (one at the Louisville expo the Scag) and the Husky from a competitor I know last year. The Scag seems pretty mean, not too shabby at all. The only dealer in my area is a bastard though, so never looked deep into them. The Husky should be sold only at Lowe's and only to homeowners, they are a low rung on the mowing ladder. Cheaply made, awkward, and very poor cutters

lawn_pro
03-03-2006, 08:37 AM
no contest, SCAG

Green King
03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Well I will not say the husky is poor made but Envy is right about the support for husky-yazoo mowing equipment. If those are your only choices I would go scag as well.

extoro
03-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Well I will not say the husky is poor made but Envy is right about the support for husky-yazoo mowing equipment. If those are your only choices I would go scag as well.

I disagree with this statement - yes I know Envy had a bad experience - but the largest Farm & Home retailer is this area sells Husky (in competeition with Lowe's) and in speaking with them they have zero complaints. Now in all fairness maybe these machines are being sold to homeowners, but I do know they sell a BUNCH of em'.

Alot of the "support" you can expect to get with any mower will come from the dealer and THEIR relations with the distributor or factory. Just my opinion

greenscapes,inc.
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I tried both last year (one at the Louisville expo the Scag) and the Husky from a competitor I know last year. The Scag seems pretty mean, not too shabby at all. The only dealer in my area is a bastard though, so never looked deep into them. The Husky should be sold only at Lowe's and only to homeowners, they are a low rung on the mowing ladder. Cheaply made, awkward, and very poor cutters

Like I said before I have never used a scag so I am not going to comment but my husky cuts 10 times better then my snappers and I have ran it with dixie choppers and other Z turns and the cut is just as good. It may not be as fast as the dixie chopper but it cuts just as good if not better. Honda, toro, and john deere are also sold at home depot and lowes but what does that mean?

saw man
03-03-2006, 02:07 PM
hahahaha I cant believe someone got mad over a sewing machine and posted here! Too funny!!

I would make my decision on dealer support. In this area the scag is not too common, the Husky distribution center is about 5 miles away and good dealer support. I think the spindles and such on the Scag will hold up a bit better than the Husky though.

WREBELMACHINE
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
If husky uses the same spindle as the yazoo it will be a weak spindle. However there is a cure for that. Support will be a big issue and probably scag would be better than husky/yazoo. Dealer can make a big diffrence but if cannot get support he will not be able to help you.

mowergal
03-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I just came from the biggest Husky dealer around here and yes yazoo/kees and Husqvarnia (on commercial) used the same spindles and never did we have to order any for being week, maybe because the customers crews didn't see the tree stump in the yard LOL was the only one. So I honestly don't understand the big deal. I mean the guy hit the stump so hard it threw him off the mower.:confused:

Coumbe
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
s c a g ! ! !:usflag:

WREBELMACHINE
03-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Mowergal for your info there is a problem with the Yazoo spindle I had to replace 10 of them in 05 until my dealer put encore spindles in the machine and never had a problem again. The problem is the bolts that hold the pulley on the shaft will back out and let the blade shaft drop down causing the blades to hit when this happens guess what busted spindles. Now I am not the only cutter that has had broken spindles this is the reason I was having issues but this might not have been the case for everyone. Also after the fourth or fifth time I had to have the deck replaced because it was warped from this issue. If husky is using the same spindle and when I looked at them at the last show in town they did not look the same. then the husky will have this issue unless it has been curred by Yazoo/husky for 2006. If they have that is great I do not care because I have traded mine off! All I have done is told my experience with the Yazoo mower and it was good for the most part except the spindles and the steering dampners which last about 30 days. The engine the ride the cut all were good.

mowergal
03-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Sounds likes you got one made on a Friday! LOL
Yes, the spindles are the same and we never had any problems, sorry for your bad experence is all I can say!