PDA

View Full Version : aerator

bigkyle
03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
ok i have seen posts about this service but i have never done this service with any company i have worked for.what good does this do for ur clients lawn and what would be the best equipment to do this job.thanks

Premo Services
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Core Aeration is the process of making thousands of small holes in the turf. These holes allow fertilizer, water and air to reach the root zone quicker, resulting in new growth and increased root development.

These holes will also open up the soil and help reduce thatch build up and soil compaction, allowing your lawn to breath and grow.

The best equipment for core aeration is a commerecial core aerator.
Lesco rents them
also you can get them at rental places but most of these do not do a good job.

BSDeality
03-02-2006, 03:18 PM
the main function of aerating is relieving compaction, and it does also allow for better air-gas exchage, water, etc.

I will disagree with the rental place statement, most stores carry very good equipment for residential aeration.

bigkyle
03-02-2006, 05:00 PM
would uy guys say its hard to do this to a lawn

BSDeality
03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
not really hard, it depends on the size of the lawn and what equipment you have to do it. obviously you're not going to use a 20" machine on 3 acres of turf, nor would you use a 60" towable unit on a 3,000sqft property. you need the right tools for the job.

bigkyle
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
another ? as im looking at them on ebay at i see there is a hand one.how well would they work.my lawns are small or r they just junk

BSDeality
03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I would get a "core" aerator. the spike ones only provide short term results and eventually will lead to more compaction. you have to pull the soil out of the ground, not just jam a rod into the ground to make the hole.

bigkyle
03-02-2006, 05:15 PM
sorry baout all my ? but how often do u have to do this to a lawn

work_it
03-02-2006, 05:16 PM
another ? as im looking at them on ebay at i see there is a hand one.how well would they work.my lawns are small or r they just junk
They work well in areas that are too small for a 20" aerator. IOW, they're not really worth considering since I can get the 20" aerator into some pretty tight areas.

It's recommended that you aerate your lawn twice a year, but that's not practiced too often...if any. Once/year (preforably in the fall) will yeild good results.

Kilroy
03-02-2006, 07:31 PM
the main function of aerating is relieving compaction, and it does also allow for better air-gas exchage, water, etc.

I will disagree with the rental place statement, most stores carry very good equipment for residential aeration.In addition, the plugs make a nice top dressing when overseeding the lawn if you break them up with a roller or slice seeder. Is aerating hard? Probably depends on the individual. For me, for some reason (age?), core aerating with my walk behind just wears me out. It seems easy to do when I'm doing it, but afterward: Wow. Major soreness.

work_it
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
In addition, the plugs make a nice top dressing when overseeding the lawn if you break them up with a roller or slice seeder. Is aerating hard? Probably depends on the individual. For me, for some reason (age?), core aerating with my walk behind just wears me out. It seems easy to do when I'm doing it, but afterward: Wow. Major soreness.
Good to know that I'm not the only one who feels like that after a day of aerating. Last fall I had to aerate 1/2 acre with a 20" Bluebird. That's the last time I use that dinosaur of a machine. Came close to puking my guts out half way through the front yard.;)

Oh, one other thing. Never, never eat before having to manhandle a machine like that on a sloped yard. I knew that should have been the first yard of the day. Oops! Also keep in mind that Ryan is much easier to handle, but the best one I've used so far is the PLUGR. One pass with the PLUGR is all it takes. What a time saver.