PDA

View Full Version : need advice tried everything

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
need advice hard time finding clients who will change

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I do not understand the question. Hard time finding customers that will change what???

daveintoledo
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
change to your company....change ther attitude..... there diapers.:p

jsf343
03-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Change their socks, change their underware, change their service to yours.
sorry, couldn't resist.

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:33 PM
change to my company really gotta spell it out for you fellas huh

GreenMonster
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Easy. Ask them what they're paying now, and charge 25-50% less.

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
guess im not gonna get any help from you guys huh wrote that before i read you the tell me that theyre not intersted in swithching

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
any other ideas besides under bidding the competition

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
any ideas besides under bidding the competion

jsf343
03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Just playing Qpc, I would agree with Greenmonster, I would'nt underbid it that much though, you got to make something off the prperty.(thats just me though) Try various methods of advertiment. There are 1001 threads on here about signs, flyers, door to door, ads in the paper, you get the idea. I would not zero in specificlly on someone elses business or accounts but would blanket targeted neighborhoods with the above (flyers,ads, whatever) Don't want to get other co.'s mad at you for trying to take their contracts or accounts. My little bit. Good luck Jeff

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
thank you icant seem to find anyone who will even pay what im asking

eshreve1234
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
If no one will pay, then you are too high.

I try to land 40-50% of my estimates, that tells me I am priced right. Land less than that you are overpriced, more than that you are too cheap.

All_Clear
03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Grab em by the shirt collar and make em sign the dotted line!!! :hammerhead:

It's up to you to sell them on why your better, no one can tell you what will work, your just going to have to try different things... Maybe offer a free mowing or 2 for signing up for the season... Offer some free fert.
Hard telling what will work best for you...

All_Clear

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:55 PM
too much lower i wont be making money just spending it. about $45 hr w/ no minimum is what i charge for residential

All_Clear
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
thank you icant seem to find anyone who will even pay what im asking

Then your most likely over priced for the customers your targeting. Try lowering your price some...

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
does 45 an hr seem reasonable

All_Clear
03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
too much lower i wont be making money just spending it. about $45 hr w/ no minimum is what i charge for residential

Are you quoting prices by the hour? Telling the customers $45 an hr just wont work...

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
i am targeting any and all customers

eshreve1234
03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Thats fine you want to make $45/hr. I want to make $500/hr, but if no one pays it I make zero. Have you done any research on your market and what price it will bear? Or did you just wake up one day and decide people were going to pay you more to cut grass because you want to make $45/hr?

QPC
03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
thats just what i go by for myself i dont tell them that if it takes me half hour then i charge 20 to 25

my lawn guy
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Have you asked around to find out what other's in your area are charging per hour?

How long have you been in business?

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
yard i mowed last year paid me 25 year before he paid another co. 45

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
this is my second year been in industry for 8 yrs

All_Clear
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Getting someone that happy with their service provider is one of the hardest things to do... More so if your a newer business..

Your price seems within reason, it's going to fall on your marketing and sales skills to real them in...

All_Clear

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
every yard i have i got by being cheaper

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:04 PM
i dont want to sell myself short and i want to make money but i cant always be the cheap guy who do anything

my lawn guy
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
One way to find out how much your comp. is charging is to place a few calls to other companies, and ask for quotes for maintaining your property. Then you can get a feel for the average rate in your area.

All_Clear
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe your not charging enough....

If a guy comes in considerable lower most will expect, no shows, low quality, ect....

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:06 PM
three companies quoted my yard at 65-80 a mow i do a slightly larger yard for 55

my lawn guy
03-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Graet point "All Clear".

Livingreen
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
QPC-
All clear has the right thought. It comes down to marketing (convincing) clients why they should go with your service. They know what they are getting with their current provider, why would they want to switch. If you sell quality, they need to understand why their property will be better by going with you, if in fact it will cost them more money. If you sell quantity, then you're price should be lower. What are they going to get by going with you versus who they already have. Another thought....why don't you target people who don't have a provider (new homes or businesses). Just my 2 cents.

my lawn guy
03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Something else to consider:

Are you "Certified", "Licensed", or have an edaucation in horticulture, etc?

If so... promote that to your prospects. What's the saying...
"If you don't toot your own horn, who will?"

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
i point out problems in theyre service and tell them how i can avoid tearing up theyr yard

my lawn guy
03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Look how I spelled "education"!

LOL!

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
i tell and show them complexes i mow and show referrals

my lawn guy
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
QPC -

Good Luck this year!!!

I wish you the best.

Livingreen
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Just be careful to not "bad mouth" the competition. It is a very bad practice to get into, and many people do not appreciate it. Instead of pointing out what they are doing wrong, focus on the ways that you are going to make their property better. Is it by focusing on the details? Example: Take the prospective client to an area of their property that is not up to par with the quality that you would provide (missed trimming, grass left on drive, etc.). Then explain that your company makes sure that these types of details are covered before you or your employees leave the property. If they realize that you are honest and genuine in what you offer, they may be more willing to go with you, than if you come in and say, "Yeah, you're other company isn't doing this and they aren't doing that." They may just call up their company and have them come and take care of it. I run into this problem myself all the time. Just focus on promoting your company and your service. It may help to bring some pictures of some of your other properties, even if it is only your own house.

QPC
03-02-2006, 03:34 PM
thank you for all of the great advice, all of you

sheshovel
03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't sell your pricer..Don't tell them an hourly rate just tell them I will do this and this for so much$ a week or a month..You have to sell yourSELF and your service..
not your prices

sikagrass
03-02-2006, 09:44 PM
One thing I learned early on when I started was to ask how much the other LCO charged. Not to underbid ( you just wont ever get anywhere doing that)but to make sure I wasnt leaving any money on the table because I learned the hard way several times that I had.If the customer was paying that before he will be happy paying it again. If the price they give is too low thats when they need some convincing. Those extra 5s and 10s could really add up over a few years. Hope this helps and good luck with your venture.

PMLAWN
03-03-2006, 06:30 AM
Two plans here, Do 1 do OK -Do both and you will soar!
1st, there is more work out there than you can handle. Take the easy road. Do not try to steal work. Get your own. Go after the ones that do not have lawn service. Or the ones that just moved in, Or the guy that just got the new job. Hit the new home community.

2nd, (and this is the big one) Get away from price. Never sell price. Price will always be beat. Sell service, sell performance, sell free time, sell satisfaction, sell pride!!
Selling is all about giving the customer what he wants, If you believe he wants short grass- you are wrong- and he places no value in getting that and will not pay. Learn what they really want (that part is up to you) and give them that. They will place a high value on that and are willing to pay for it.

By the way for this to work you need to produce very high quality work, Do you?

tteckster
03-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Image is important too! If you pull up in a Ford Pinto with your mower hanging out the back then, walk to the door in baggy pants with blue hair, chances are you will fail!

QPC
03-20-2006, 10:23 PM
high quality work. clean new equip

SWD
03-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I didn't read all of the posts, however, I will comment on the initial page.
What your hourly scale is has no bearing on the discussion you have with the customer.
You are selling a service, set yourself apart with a professional appearance, demeanor and skill set.
Never, EVER, quote hourly rates - unless you have a large scale customer that requests additional info for budgetary purposes.
Also, targeting all means you are targeting none!!!!!
Select a clientele group, identified by their respective demographics, and pursue them.
Too broad a range of clientele, and you will end up with no work because you have no direction.
My company has a predominant scale of work being large scale commercial with a smaller, although not much, of high end residential.
Being focused and being professional has allowed me to grow from around $60K four years ago to $400K now - and still climbing.
A considerable amount of work - YES!
Financially rewarding - YES!
Can one make a living in this industry - YES!
Just focus.

ronniez71
03-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Find new customers idiot!!