PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use wheel boots/locks for trailer?

CURBAPPEAL NC
03-02-2006, 03:22 PM
was wondering the what was the best kind? had a trailer stolen and dont want my new one stolen thanks!

duke99
03-03-2006, 01:30 AM
it dont matter what you use if they want it they'll get it ... they have a device that like a ball but its flat .. and you lock it in your coupler housing its worked for me but of course mine stays in the back yard behind a locked gate ..

CURBAPPEAL NC
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I had that ball lock ont the one they stole! Apparently they just wraped the chains around their bumper and pulled it away. so you may wanna look into something else! I understand they will get it if they want but I think the wheel boots just might make them choose another easier trailer!

kingofbling
03-04-2006, 12:30 AM
it dont matter what you use if they want it they'll get it ...

They will move on if it has to much to work with.

If you,

Lock the Coupler
Run a chain through the tires
or anything else

There not going to waste there time and move on, they want something they can take quick, not sit there and try to cut chains for 5 or 10 min.

bugspit
03-04-2006, 02:16 AM
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Code=L

MMLawn
03-04-2006, 08:58 AM
A Boot sounds like a really good idea! I might look into one for my traveling crew. I know they are expensive. I have seen them in the $700-$1000 range but there may be some cheaper pricing out there as I haven't really searched it that much.

Ball hitch locks and lock covers are a JOKE and only make the unknowing owner feel safe! Even the ones that supposely "block" the top of the ball so the hitch lever can't be released. ALL the crook has to do is loosen the nut on the BOTTOM of the ball and bam the whole trailer is now unhooked and towable by chain. Those "locking" hitch and trailer pins, a sledge hammer and that is off. Using chains to "lock" the wheels.....right....a $20 bolt cutter and 5 seconds and that is off. Wheel boot though no way to get i off and thats why the police use them. Good Idea!

Of course a true crook will not be detered if they really want something bad enough. They broke into my shop one time through the back door. It is a SOLID STEEL door with triple locking through two lock bars from the inside with no locks or handles on the outside because it is at the shops rear. They used a torch and/or plasma cutter and cut their way in! Locksmith said it took them at least 3 hours of cutting to gain entry and my shop is located in a major business part of the city and the police or nobody else ever saw them cutting! They also cut the phone lines and power lines BUT my alarm has cell phone and double 48 hour battery backup so as soon as the door opened after all that work the alarm still went off and prevented any real serious theft.