PDA

View Full Version : So I got my first account today!!!

Splicer
03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
:cool2: I am so psyched :weightlifter:

Question. Generally speaking, when does the season 'begin'? I usually always went by when my lawn 'looked' too long. The customer asked me when it begins and I didn't have a real great answer..."well let me go look at your place and evaluate everything and I will call you back in a day or 2: is what I said.

I got him for the grass cutting, and some trimming and blowing off the drive but how do I sell him on a spring dethatch? How do I charge? Triple the cut/trim price?

What do I do with the thatch after it is collected with the lawn sweeper? I think I can leave it to be burned but not 100% sure yet. Any advice?

The property is about 1 1/2 acres but is certainly not all lawn.

Gatewayuser
03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
#1 nobody needs thatching in the sub-division you live in.
#2 The season begins for us around April 15-May 1st.
#3 You can burn it but it will cause a lot of smoke and then the HTFD will get called and I don't won't to come out for that.:waving:
#4Charge $50 per hr and estimate how long you think it will take.
Good Luck!

Splicer
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Appreciate the input Gatewayuser!

How come nobody needs dethatching in my subdivision?

Sounds about right. Thanks.

HTFD has nothing to do with where this account is. Are you a fireman? I heard fireman supliment their income doing this.

Thanks again. I hope to pull this off...

Gatewayuser
03-09-2006, 10:47 PM
The lawns are not very old and don't have enough thatch to worry yet, I have'nt seen one there that has yet. Its good to have some thatch 1/2" at the max, it helps keep the roots cool and cushions the lawn.
Good Luck also Blan has plenty of work in the town I could of had a bunch of jobs there but decided not to take them except a cleanup next week.
Also I'm on the FD but we don't get paid, I do lawn and landscaping full-time.

daveintoledo
03-10-2006, 08:37 AM
your on your way... first one is fun, ..
:) :)

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Congrats!! I am not fro your area, but I have to agree with Gatewayuser. Before you dethatch you may want to consider aeration. Most lawns that look like the need to be dethatched can be satisfied by aerating. In addition, dethatching can be alot of work (not that this should deter you). I had to dethatch a lawn last (about 11,000 sqft). It took alot of man hours and about 2 1/2 dump trucks full of thatch to dispose of. Aerating will do wonders for a lawn. Again, congrats on the customer.

get rich
03-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Your season begins when weather permits is always your answer to a customer. If all your doing is cutting the lawn, then like you said when the grass gets growing, unless they didn't mow it very short in the fall. Then you should show up and cut it as soon as the temps are steady in the sixty range. Then you miht not have to return for two or more weeks, depending on the weather. You detemine if the lawn needs de-thatching by examining it. Spread the grass apart as if you were looking for the soil, then you should see the thatch layer. If it is thicker than half inch or more, i'd remove it. You would go to rental store and get power rake, bluebird, clausen, ryan lots of them out there. Run it over the lawn and it'll pull the thatch to the surface. Then i myself just throw the bagger on my ex-mark and bag it up. You will end up with tons of debris to haul awat though. So if there is a lot of square footage of turf, i'd opt for the aeration myself. It's tuff too estimate the time spent on doing de-thach to a larger lawn. I stick too no more than 15,000 sq ft lawn for de-thatch anything more i aerate. And you wanna make sure its nice and dry out before attempting either of those services. But if you have pruning to do there or elsewhere, the season has just begun. As long as you don't mind working in milder temps. GOOD LUCK!