PDA

View Full Version : skid steer tires

gravtyklz
03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Has anyone tried the solid rubber tires for skid steers?

In other words....you dont fill it with air.

I figure if you used just the tires then you would probably lose some traction, but we always use steel tracks.

Problem is....we've been having flat tires twice a week for a month.

A lot of grading at messy job sites!

Gravel Rat
03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Here you go www.mclarenindustries.com

These guys have what you need.

thepawnshop
03-02-2006, 10:55 PM
The McLaren Tires are AWESOME! I had a set before I bought a CTL and I kow if I ever go back to a rubber tire machine, I ma going to have Mclaren semi-pneumatic tires on it! I work around construction sites as well as in a lot of shale and it is comforting knowing I won't ever have to stop due to a flat tire. That said, they are EXPENSIVE! When I bought mine over a year ago it was 2k for the set delivered. They claim that they can last up to three times longer than a regular tire, but I didn't keep my skid long enough to know if that is true.

Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with the McLaren tires. Good Luck!

gammon landscaping
03-03-2006, 12:41 AM
i have tried the ones with all the holes in the sideways i thought that it rode way to rough for me

i just keep my eye out for nails and scoop them and the soil under them. use that to backfill stuff

LawnScenes
03-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Why not just go for a set of these? I see them advertised in compact equipment magazine all the time. Not sure of cost or quality. It seems pretty decent though after looking at the website. And it's pretty nice you can switch between the tires and tracks without having to own two machines.

http://www.loegering.com/VTS.htm

Squizzy246B
03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Why not just go for a set of these?
http://www.loegering.com/VTS.htm

Much as I'd love to they are half the cost of a new machine.

TXTom
03-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Why not have your tires filled with PolyFoam? When my tires were new I took them and had them filled. It was around $150 per tire. The ride quality is decent, and the extra weight has enhanced my lifting capacity. I have never had a flat....

Later,

LawnScenes
03-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Much as I'd love to they are half the cost of a new machine.

There's always a catch isn't there. lol I figured they would be pretty expensive. But didn't think they'd be half the cost of a new piece.

miacharger
03-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Actually solid tires are much better in debris than track systems. Even rocks and sand can get in between the track and rollers and cause damage. From what I have seen and heard, tracks excell in soft, difficult terrain and on rocky ground, but expect much shorter life with rubber tracks on hard surfaces. I have used the solid tires and metal tracks and like them a lot better.

MarcSmith
03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
just rememebr that the solid tires or foam filled tires will add a significant amount of weight to your machine... I looked at that as well, but some of my landscape areas are on roof tops so I need to becareful of over loading the roof with my equipment....

but the solid or foam filled tires will have the effect of adding a weight kit to your machine so you might actually increase the amount of stuff you can carry as well....

Gravel Rat
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM
You can check out these guys they might have what you need www.mitlbrawler.com

iowacatman
03-06-2006, 09:04 AM
The add-on track system is expensive, about $15K. And it's not exactly easy to take on and off.

Foam filling tires is a great way to go. It is very economical, though if you foam fill, most manufacturers recommend that you do not use your steel tracks with them. Reason being if you get something caught in the tracks, there is nothing there to 'give' so you end up breaking internal expensive components.

The mclaren tires with the holes in the side are pretty good. They generally last longer, since they use a stronger material. Same thing goes with the steel tracks.

The have your cake and eat it too (that is if you want to keep your steel tracks and not have flats) is to use the old fashion slime in the tires. I would keep at least one spare with me since this method is not foolproof. But it is cheap and will keep you working even if you pick up a nail or 10.

Good luck

Mike33
03-08-2006, 07:38 PM
ive owned and ran bobcats for years, and the biggest hassle i have is tires . just yesterday we opened up for the season put the steel tracks on 2 hours later flat tire. I have run all kinds of sealants and still get flats. To answer your question i borrowed my bodys 250 last year to clean up a burnt house. He had the filled solid tires it worked wll as far as not worring about tires , but when i pulled it on my trailer 1 tire crahed thru the boards. No my boards arent junk either we replaced them last year, it was from the weight. Also i got it stuck in a place there should of been impossible. I asked my buddy later he said with the filled tires it will get stuck easy, and hard to grade gravel because it wants to sink in. So i guess we cant have the best of both worlds.

mike

gammon landscaping
03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
i have a plug kit in every truck and rubber tire machine i own. i also buy plugs by the gross. all i do is new construction and i plug a tire every 2 days i run the skid. i think when i got tires last time i had one with 40+ plugs in it. i tried the solid tires i just couldn't grade with them and the beat me to death. plugs and an air compresser work best for me....oh yea check your air pressure every day before you start

YellowDogSVC
05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
ive owned and ran bobcats for years, and the biggest hassle i have is tires .
mike

I have run solid tires for about 10 years. The fill has been a source of extra weight that I have never liked. The idea that they get stuck easier has been a question of mine. I thought it was the lug pattern on the tires (I run galaxy hulk tires). I realize that the tires do not give enough to spread their weight or grab in soft conditions. After 10 years and many different machines, I ordered a machine with hulk tires and slime and air. I am hoping that I won't have too many problems. I don't work around nails very often but I am in the woods. My biggest concern is losing the bead with these bigger machines. Anyone have that problem? Sometimes it's a long way out of the woods to my compressor!

dogsluvtrux
05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Be careful with the logering systems! Check with your dealer, I have been told these will void your warranty. From what I understand, in order to run these you need to unhook your front drive chains (something not easily accomplished on a Bobcat), and that seems as though it would put quite a bit of stress on the machine...