PDA

View Full Version : $13K in new business today secured

DixieFerris
03-02-2006, 05:56 PM
2 nice size buildings signed on (separate companies) today for $13.2k, good Thursday so far, and on the brink of getting $23.5k as early as tonight. Some of you will cry about this, but both accounts said we won the bid because we pointed out the problems in the flower beds (lack of trimming, edging, perennials being cut back) and how to rectify them. One guy told me "you have told me more about my property in one estimate than our old vendor of 5 years ever told me"...signed on the dotted line. The other lady at the other building said "I like your monthly reports idea, we'll gladly take those, and if your mowing during the summer is any indication of how completely thorough your estimate was, then we will be happy for years to come because the old guy like you wrote, mowed far too low, never weeded our beds, and always dumped the clippings on site in view of the building. They put down their old vendors, not us, and we gave them the problem and the solution. A great way to win business I think. Going to be a good year:usflag:

Splicer
03-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Congratulations! Thats how a business should be run! I love learning from the pros here!

salandscape
03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
hell of a day! hope to have some months that good!

ptimealltime
03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
dixie could you give me some advice on how your quate was set up

jafryman@yahoo.com

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Congrats on that!

YardPro
03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
the business seminar we just attended had a speaker named bill phagen. His philosopyh was for us not to be sales perple but problem solvers.

looks like you were using his philosophy.

dmk395
03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Just curious....how did you find this account?

DixieFerris
03-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Let me try to answer everyone's questions in this post, sorry I didn't respond last night, but I was deeply involved in college basketball and the new episode of "Real World" on MTV, haha.

Here's what my quote looked like for one of the companies:

Lawn (based on cuts from mid to late April thru mid November)—Mowed at proper heights of 2.5 to 3.5 inches to promote growth and strength, typically 26 cuts. The areas covered by ______ will include mowing, trimming and blowing off of all paved areas and entrance and edging the sidewalks/beds. Walk behind mowers for the steep side hills and riders for the flat areas.

Total for 2006: $2,950.00

Spring/Fall area cleanup Dethatching and raking of areas to cleanup dead grass and due to grass being left far too long at end of season, and clear off snowplowed debris, edging of flower beds, garbage off lawns, leaf cleanup and removal, trim lilies back which weren’t done in fall time, rip out old mums not discarded in fall, and trim along parking lot which appears has been neglected for most of 2005 season.

Total for 2006--$350 spring, $250 fall

Flowers: Flats typically have 48-50 flowers; our charge includes delivery, installation, and feedings of the flowers to bring out the most buds and color. _____________ will receive 5 flats of spring pansies for immediate color in spring time, to be replaced by multiple summer annuals (5 new flats) totaling 10 flats of flowers. Fall time will bring our famous large mums; our recommendation for your property is 15 fall mums, 8” pots (very large) with many colors. Fall time will also include a fall display with cornstalks, pumpkins, gourds, straw, etc.

Total package listed above for 2006: $500.00
(tulip and other bulbs can be added in the fall for $.50 a bulb)

Mulch: estimate for mulch comes out to around 10 yards of fresh, triple ground real hardwoods for ultimate soil amending, moisture retention and plant health. Included delivery and installation.

Total for 2006: $675.00

Shrubs and Bed Maintenance: Shrubs to be pruned 2 times during the season. Included in this part of our proposal: weeding the flower beds during visits, dead heading flowers to promote better blooms, raking up of mulch to not only freshen up the beds, but keep mulch from crusting on top, which doesn’t allow roots to breath and water can’t get to the root drip zone. Older junipers along building need to be trimmed off the brickwork and sheetmetal and have extensive pruning before damage to the siding occurs

Total for 2006: $500

TOTAL 2006 Estimate: $5,225.00

To respond to your question about sales being a problem solving process I couldn't agree more. What good is it to point out a problem, and not solve it for someone? That's how I have always sold myself and this business. If you aren't a good salesperson you will have a hard time selling against people and growing your company. Not to say you can't do well, but it will be difficult to take things to "the next level". I found this account by driving thru a business park, writing down some observations for each building, and then calling into them and asking for the facilities maintenance contact, or who decides on the landscape vendor from year to year. Don't be afraid to ask the receptionist lots of questions, that's their job. Then if I didn't speak to the person at first I said "was wondering if you would allow my company to bid on your property for mowing and landscaping for the upcoming 2006 season. Our company not only takes care of the grass with terrific results, but can fix things like (insert the couple observations) and bring some serious professionalism to your property"....then if and when I talk to them, went a bit more in detail, got the bid sheet, and went to work.

There are 7 buildings in this small business park, and I think realistically we are going to land 2 or 3.

Hope this helps