PDA

View Full Version : LCO not Offering aeration?

cpel2004
03-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Very few LCO offer aeration services in S. Florida, and I'm trying to figure out why. I've been in business almost two years and I have not seen one LCO providing aeration. I think It would be an easy sell, due to alot of homeowners that are from northern states. I want here your opinions, we have sandy soils, could this be the reason? However i called Trugreen for an estimate on my property and they wanted to charge me 85 on 3k sq ft lot.

MStine315
03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I am curious to see answers on this one. Obviously it's an accepted practice and a somewhat easy sell in the north, but what got my curiousity up was last fall in TURF magazine a guy in Florida did a demo on a Turfco Turn-aer (I think it was that model) and commented even when he offered to do jobs for free just to demo the machine he was met with resistance. I've wondered about it ever since.

Norm Al
03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
only criminals offer aeration in south florida!

so why would you need to aerate sand?

J Hisch
03-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Golf greens contain quite a bit of sand and there areated.

Norm Al
03-02-2006, 07:41 PM
golf greens are a completely differant animal/turf/compacting to create speed/overseeding/daily mowing,,,,,now if your talking st.augustine lawns which is probably 99% of the florida turfs,,,,then only a fool would pay to have st aug aerated!

chemlawn trys to sell everyone in florida aeration!

olive123
03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
st augistine dosent need to be airated. start chopping up those runners and theres gonna be a big problem

cpel2004
03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
golf greens are a completely differant animal/turf/compacting to create speed/overseeding/daily mowing,,,,,now if your talking st.augustine lawns which is probably 99% of the florida turfs,,,,then only a fool would pay to have st aug aerated!

chemlawn trys to sell everyone in florida aeration!

Norm Al why isn't the need greater. Aeration promotes root growth, its greatly helps with fertilization. So why not?

Splicer
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Norm Al why isn't the need greater. Aeration promotes root growth, its greatly helps with fertilization. So why not?
I'd say this would be the biggest reason:
st augistine dosent need to be airated. start chopping up those runners and theres gonna be a big problem

MStine315
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the insight guys, I was thinking about thatch management, too, but maybe it's not a big deal with St. Augustine.

dcondon
03-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the insight guys, I was thinking about thatch management, too, but maybe it's not a big deal with St. Augustine.

If your here in Mi then it is a big deal. Soil is a lot different them Fl.

Norm Al
03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
your right mostly sandy soils in florida,,,,,the sand doesnt need to be aerated!

the heat and rain usually do a great job of keeping thatch to a minimum also!

MarcSmith
03-03-2006, 10:32 AM
the only thing you really need to with St augustine is verti cutting. and even then, what a mess.

TGCL sold one of my parents customers on aerating...the older folks from up north are used to seeing the aerators so that why its an easy sell....