PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Diesel

texas
03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
:) To narrow my last thread, I'm getting a XL Ford Supercab 4x4. Don't know gas or diesel. Gas mileage is a factor pulling a loaded 20x8. what is better a v10 gas or a diesel?

thanks

ps i plan to drive this sucker at least a dozen years.

dcondon
03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Go with the P/S. Even though fuel is a little more you will be glad you did.

POPO4995
03-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Power Stroke Turbo Diesel.........:usflag:

Mr. Vern
03-03-2006, 02:04 AM
That's an absolute no brainer! Go with the Power Stroke. They are amazing. Everyone I have known that has bought the 10 cylinders have regretted it. They just don't make the extra power that you would expect from the additional cylinders. The power Stroke will outpull and outlast the gas motors by at least 3 to 1 and will get better mileage (although the fuel is currently more expensive) I can not stress enough how happy I am since I switched to Power Strokes. If you can find one, get the 6 speed manual as well. It's the perfect towing combo

Luvs2Play
03-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Not everyone, while I have no need for a PS, I have a V10 that pulls everything I need. The maintenance is less expensive too. While the PS will go 300k, I am expecting 200 - 250k. My 5.4 had 225k on it when I traded it in last year, never had been touched other than sensors and regular maintenance. The PS will outpull for sure, but the extra initial cost is not worth it for me. We only put about 80 miles per day, making 20 to 25 stops per day. I do like the PS, wish I had a use for one.

ripple
03-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Talk to your account about gas or diesel. The initial higher expense of a diesel will sometimes take around 100000 miles to recoup the cost in mpg. I traded my GM 454 fleet over to the Duramax. I now have one duramax over 120000 miles and it was a good economical trade. Not to mention the much higher torque for pullin heavy trailers.
The newer diesel engine (2001-present) gets better mpg, has more torque, is quieter, etc than the previous years.
The proven GM Duramax is a solid high performance engine that will provide high torque and high mpg, and years of trouble free miles.

Good luck on your decision.

rfed32
03-04-2006, 04:20 PM
get the power stroke....its amazing

Mr. Vern
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
The proven GM Duramax is a solid high performance engine that will provide high torque and high mpg, and years of trouble free miles.

Good luck on your decision.

Not trying to start a GM vs. Ford debate, but I do have to say that it is gonna be very difficult to find a Ford XL SuperCab with a Duramax. Not to say that they are not good motors.

ripple
03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Not trying to start a GM vs. Ford debate, but I do have to say that it is gonna be very difficult to find a Ford XL SuperCab with a Duramax. Not to say that they are not good motors.

True true true...but you can get a crew cab Chevy with a Duramax.
Does @ord still make the powerchoke? I thought they were trying out a new 6.0L diesel?

Guthrie&Co
03-07-2006, 04:19 AM
True true true...but you can get a crew cab Chevy with a Duramax.
Does @ord still make the powerchoke? I thought they were trying out a new 6.0L diesel?
the 6.0 is a powerstroke