PDA

View Full Version : Hot Topic! Termite infested mulch from Hurricane damaged wood!

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2006, 12:31 AM
I copied and pasted this that my grandpa sent me he found it on better homes and gardens. Don't know how you all get your mulch (i'm sure most like myself buy in bulk) and I don't know where your suppliers get it, but I know that my supplier makes their mulch on site and they are in the lumber business they only buy NATIVE only lumber so I will be fine.

Not only can you use this knowledge to protect your customers but also as a selling point to warn other potential mulch customers not to do it theirself, as they will likely buy bad mulch and you know where yours originates.

"Subject: FW: Dangerous Mulch

Better Homes and Gardens discussion site

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch
this year. After the hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over.
These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid
of tons and tons of this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus inmany of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were
the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown
down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the
worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we
have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid
cheap mulch and know were it came from.

Here's the link:
Click here:
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/environment/insects/Termites/formosan_termites/
"

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm sure there could be a lot of good discussion stem from this so on with the talk! I may not get too involved in it as I don't have much to say or time to say it but I figured this could be a hot topic with mulching right around the corner, or for some of us, just now starting.

1MajorTom
03-03-2006, 12:38 AM
You can read more about it here in this thread too.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=135365

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 12:51 AM
right your late on this hot topic by a few days..Frankin

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2006, 09:53 AM
whoops sorry thats what i get for not checking the renovation forum. My bad. Ok Jodi if you want u can delete this post..... sorry for the trouble.
Eric

ITL
03-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Eric

Thanks to you (and your Grandfather) for giving us a heads up on what could make some unhappy customers for us all.

Thanks again

Wayne