PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Salts

lawnrangeralaska
03-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Saw a commerical on T.V. for some lawn care tips and it said applying epsom salts on lawns will make them have a greener or darker color. If so was wonder who all applies this salt to their lawns. And at what type of rate to apply it. thanks james

OnMyOwn
03-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I have never heard of this, but actually knew of someone that tapped a keg into his sprinkler years ago. He claimed the lawn loved beer.

I just accused him of needing a hobby. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

hole in one lco
03-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I have never heard of this, but actually knew of someone that tapped a keg into his sprinkler years ago. He claimed the lawn loved beer.

beer is good for the lawn

Az Gardener
03-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Beer has lots of sugars and enzymes that activate the microbes in the soil. Yes it works but biological fertilizers are better and cheaper. Ebson salts contain magnesium or manganese I forget which or maybe both a micro nutrient good for palms and plants that are chlorotic. Why anyone would pay for ebson salts when you can get manganese in 50 lb bags for about 9.00 These tricks are for old ladies with a couple of sick plants not for the landscape professional.

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Hey now..I got slammed lat time I mentioned applying beer to a lawn!Works though..Epsom salts are good for planting roses if you dig it well into the soil in the planting hole about a 1/4 cup

6'7 330
03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Sounds like something from the fraud Jerry Baker. While your putting on the epsom salt--spit a chaw of tobacco in with it.

B&D Lawn Care
03-03-2006, 02:49 AM
Epson salt is good for givin ya the trots!

lawn masters 2006
03-03-2006, 08:49 AM
huh....salt...i know that kind of salt is good for lots of things,but i have a few clients that dont like round-up for weed killer,cuz of small pets....so i use water softner salt to kill grass around things...so i think twicw about it...lmao:hammerhead:

Az Gardener
03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
First I don't thing passing out on a lawn and spilling your beer is considered an application. Second epsom salt is not a salt, like rocky mountain oysters are not oysters.

NickN
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
It's true.Works great on ferns as well.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
i give the lawn light beer i dont want it to get fat

mrbray101
03-03-2006, 10:22 AM
mix up some epsoms with water and use it for sago palms as well. really spruces them up when they get that dull dying look. Another trick I learned, arm and hammer detergent will kill everything in the grass except for st. augustine. Works quick and turns everything besides the grass a dark black then it dies off.

Grassmechanic
03-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Sounds like something from the fraud Jerry Baker. While your putting on the epsom salt--spit a chaw of tobacco in with it.
You beat me to it Bill!

Green-Pro
03-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Thats criminal to waste beer in such a wanton fashion :rolleyes:

Luvs2Play
03-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I think they call that "alcohol abuse".

lawnrangeralaska
03-04-2006, 11:26 PM
any more info?

Luvs2Play
03-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I guess you can look at this. I didn't read it, but it confirms that is is sold for use on lawns.
http://www.basic-info-4-organic-fertilizers.com/epsomsalt.html

baddboygeorge
03-04-2006, 11:52 PM
if ya wanna really blue up a blue spruce take 1 tablespoon per caliper inch mix with gallon of water an pour around bottom of trunk . let me tell ya do this spring an fall an watch that spruce do a u-turn thanks george

nick912
04-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Why all the hostility toward Jerry Baker? There is no denying that his tonics work. I was skeptical at first..But I have never had a nicer, fuller lawn.

DiyDave
04-21-2007, 08:25 PM
:drinkup: :drinkup: I have often been seen applying beer to my home lawn, but I drink it first!:drinkup: :drinkup:

Nathan Robinson
04-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Saw a commerical on T.V. for some lawn care tips and it said applying epsom salts on lawns will make them have a greener or darker color. If so was wonder who all applies this salt to their lawns. And at what type of rate to apply it. thanks james

But will give you more growth than a green color. Most fertilizers have salts in them. With two much salt in the soil mixed with dry climates and heat will cause soil to crack. It is organic and has alot of sulfer and magnesium in it on the good side. I would use it in a low rate because it disolves instantly with morning dew and is definantly considered a fast release fertilizer. Another good thing is the burn potential is low in hot climates. A fertilizer burn is caused when fertilizer is on or by the turf grass plant. It pulls the water ourt of the plant and thats how burns are caused. Salt absorbs water as well but does not pull in moisture like that bag of 46-0-0 did that was left in your shop over the winter and got clumpy. GO FOR IT!

jkingrph
04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
First I don't thing passing out on a lawn and spilling your beer is considered an application. Second epsom salt is not a salt, like rocky mountain oysters are not oysters.

Epsom salt is a salt, as are thousands of other chemical compounds! Consult any inorganic chemistry text.

Grassmechanic
04-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Why all the hostility toward Jerry Baker? There is no denying that his tonics work. I was skeptical at first..But I have never had a nicer, fuller lawn.

He's been a proven fraud by many university trials. Every one of his so-called tonics have been de-bunked. He doesn't even have a university education in any type of plant management. Do a search on him.

ChadsLawn
04-22-2007, 01:11 PM
mix up some epsoms with water and use it for sago palms as well. really spruces them up when they get that dull dying look. Another trick I learned, arm and hammer detergent will kill everything in the grass except for st. augustine. Works quick and turns everything besides the grass a dark black then it dies off.

How much do you mix? Arm and Hammer? is it straight ot mixed with water as well?

Runner
04-23-2007, 11:52 PM
This is a total farce. Whoever drew this info in to put it on the show is badly informed, and REALLY should be educated before becoming a "tecknuckle consultant". this is just another example of poor info that is given on tv....whether it be from an ad, or a show. I, (as well as others) have even seen bad advice given on shows like "this old house" and such. What got to me, is finding out that the one guy (of the three) giving it on the show owns a landscape and tree service out east, and is a "consultant" for magazines and other sources.
Now, for evergreens and other acid loving plants, it is one thing but for turf soils, it is a whole different thing. Too much, and it could eventually need gypsum added.

DiyDave
04-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Got to remember that Jerry baker is on public tv. Public tv is funded by gov't. Need I say more?

nick912
04-25-2007, 05:46 PM
He's been a proven fraud by many university trials. Every one of his so-called tonics have been de-bunked. He doesn't even have a university education in any type of plant management. Do a search on him.

Dude I was skeptical as well, and thought he was insane for putting beer and soap on his turf. I thought it would attract unwanted insects ants and such. But I borrowed his book from my dad and gave it a shot and now my lawn is champion.

What part of MI? Im originally from the Oakland county area.