PDA

View Full Version : Pintle Hitch?? Oh My God!!!...

Andyinchville
03-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey All,

I just bought an older 12 ton Miller 20' Tilt top equipment trailer with pintle Hitch...When I tried towing it home using my 1993 Dodge W250 4x4 with Cummins Diesel...Lets just say around 30 mph it felt like it was going to shake the truck apart!!....What gives or is this just how a heavy equipment trailer tows (at least one with a pintle hitch)?...The hook has plenty of room around the ring so I guess this causes alot of play as opposed to a ball coupler?...Is it OK to wrap or stuff something in the eye to talk up some of the slack?.....I looked at the sidewalls on the tires and it says cold tire pressure is 115 PSI...I think I will air them down a bit to get home (8 Tires)....The trailer sits level (thanks to a huge adjustable plate on the hitch) but it pulls horribly...I did notice that the wheels are placed about dead center on the trailer....Maybe not enough tongue weight? (I will chain 2 exmark 48" walkbehinds on it tomorrow to see if that helps)....Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

Andyinchville
03-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Oh..By the way...The tires appear as new...plenty of tread...not cupped etc...

Andrew

YardPro
03-03-2006, 08:37 AM
it will tow much better with a load on it.

Grassmechanic
03-03-2006, 10:12 AM
That's common for a unloaded trailer with a pintle. As YardPro said, it'll pull better with a load on it.

Mowingman
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I bet those tire are not balanced. Usually nobody balances trailer tires. That would help some if you want to pull it at highway speeds.

Andyinchville
03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys....just to let you know I got the trailer home safely by putting two 48" exmark walkbehinds on the front of the trailer....Turns out there wasn't enough weight on the tongue....Pulled fine afterwards altho a little heavy.

Andrew

start2finish
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
there are many different sizes for pintle hooks. Usually based on the weight rating. double check this. There is some of your slack.

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys....just to let you know I got the trailer home safely by putting two 48" exmark walkbehinds on the front of the trailer....Turns out there wasn't enough weight on the tongue....Pulled fine afterwards altho a little heavy.

Andrew

Ok is all you are going to haul with this trailer is a couple mowers??? I think you have waaaay more trailer than you need if that's the case. 1200 pounds of mowers is not going to make that trailer ride any better. It sounds like it's set up to haul tractors and back hoes. The suspension is STIFF if it's rated for 12 tons!

lawnmaniac883
03-04-2006, 10:22 PM
I would imagine he is going to be hauling more than 2 mowers, he just strapped them down in the hope that it would smooth the bucking out some.