PDA

View Full Version : Pintle Hitch?? Oh My God!!!...

Andyinchville
03-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Hey All,

I just bought an older 12 ton Miller 20' Tilt top equipment trailer with pintle Hitch...When I tried towing it home using my 1993 Dodge W250 4x4 with Cummins Diesel...Lets just say around 30 mph it felt like it was going to shake the truck apart!!....What gives or is this just how a heavy equipment trailer tows (at least one with a pintle hitch)?...The hook has plenty of room around the ring so I guess this causes alot of play as opposed to a ball coupler?...Is it OK to wrap or stuff something in the eye to talk up some of the slack?.....I looked at the sidewalls on the tires and it says cold tire pressure is 115 PSI...I think I will air them down a bit to get home (8 Tires)....The trailer sits level (thanks to a huge adjustable plate on the hitch) but it pulls horribly...I did notice that the wheels are placed about dead center on the trailer....Maybe not enough tongue weight? (I will chain 2 exmark 48" walkbehinds on it tomorrow to see if that helps)....Any other ideas? Oh...The tires appear as new...plenty of tread and not cupped.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

Mr. Vern
03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
A pintle will never pull as smoothly as your ball hitch, but it should not be shaking or banging excessively. It has been my experience that excessive jerking and banging is almost always due to improper weight transfer. One way to check it is to activate the trailer brake only while at speed, if it smooths out you can bet the tongue weight is too low and you will need to load with more front bias. What are you trying to accomplish by lowering the tire pressure?

gammon landscaping
03-03-2006, 12:37 AM
why in the world are you pulling that trailor with a pickup??? the problem you have is you don't have enough truck for that trailor. it was designed to be pulled by a dump truck/ road tractor. we had a miller 12 ton tilt top, one of the best traliors we ever had.

a pickup pulling that trailor is like you puting a wheel on an ezdumper and useing it for a wheelbarrow

janb
03-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Pintle hitches actually tow very nice, and you can sometimes feel the slop when braking or backing.

unfortunately there must be something wrong with trailer, hopefully just an out of balance or out of round tire (or...alignment or bent axle or wheels) (or hitch / unlikely)
since it is a 'NameBrand' it would have been manufactured to provide adequate tongue weight to tow empty.
suggestions:
1) jack up the wheels and spin to discern wobble or 'out of round'
2) accurate level to check perpendicularity of each set of wheels (use a 2x4 to span tire (vertically) if inflated uniformly, can do this while jacked up (a hair, but equal each check (not perfect but close enough))
3)get a longer 2x4 that will span and over hang tires, place in horizontal center and measure across outside of tires (width) compare front and rear of each tire for Parallel)
4) sight horizontal 2x4s on each set of tandem to see if aligned
5) accurately measure longitudinal placement of axles relative to trailer (frt or rear)

or ... find a place to have it aligned

we'll hope for the cheapest and easiest to find solution.

Air equipped trucks often have a pintle slack adjuster, but not required

Andyinchville
03-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies....As far as airing down the tires...I Thought that that would tend to make the whole combination bounce less....I notice the ride on my pickup improves dramatically when I air down to 35 PSI instead of the 85 LBS max on the sidewalls....I realize that this does decrease stability and load cap of the tires but when unloaded its seems OK...I do air up before towing or hauling heavy....As far as why I bought the trailer....I couldn't let this one slip away....Only had to pay $1500 for it (does need a few boards replaced and a battey powered breakaway system)....I do have a JD 450 Loader I can haul on it when my Big truck gets fixed (International 1854 w/ 16' dump)....I just wanted to get it home asap (unfortunattly 50 miles from my house).

Andrew

Gravel Rat
03-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Just watch out Miller trailers are hard to get parts for two contractors I know both have Miller trailers there is no parts available for them anymore. The one contractor had to get custom built brakes for the trailer. The other contractor couldn't find parts so they junked the trailer.

The problem you experienced is the trailer prolly weighs more than your Dodge does. Its too heavy to be pulling it behind a P/U truck.

qps
03-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Just watch out Miller trailers are hard to get parts for two contractors I know both have Miller trailers there is no parts available for them anymore. The one contractor had to get custom built brakes for the trailer. The other contractor couldn't find parts so they junked the trailer.

The problem you experienced is the trailer prolly weighs more than your Dodge does. Its too heavy to be pulling it behind a P/U truck.

Cat must own miller trailers...right GR:waving:

Dirty Water
03-03-2006, 09:39 AM

I think that in Canda, its impossible to get parts for anything that doesn't say Ford or hitachi on it.

Squizzy246B
03-03-2006, 10:09 AM
I think that in Canda, its impossible to get parts for anything that doesn't say Ford or hitachi on it.

Oh..C'mon you guys...stop the leg pulling. Everbody knows Cat bought Canada years ago!:rolleyes:

qps
03-03-2006, 10:19 AM

You know I'm just kidding GR...back to the subject, I have pintle hitch's on all my trialers..love em....very little noise from sliding on the ball...:canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
03-03-2006, 01:43 PM
No I'am not joking the one contractor I worked for they had a h*ll of a time getting parts for the trailer.

Miller trailers are made from surplus army parts or atleast the ones that are around here. The truck parts stores searched for months trying to find parts but when you have pieces that are 40 plus years old its hard to find.

The other contractor that has a Miller trailer its air over hydraulic brakes needed brake drums. He had to have a set custom built along with the shoes no one makes replacement parts. It cost him around 1000 dollars they were lucky the parts were still good enough to rebuild.

You want a quality tilt trailer you should look at Trail King they pretty much set the Industry standard for Tilt trailers. Contractors here are carry 20 ton machines on them.

The Pintle hitch wasn't the problem it was the weight of the trailer is the problem. Your pulling a trailer that requires a medium duty or a tandem axle.

You will feel that trailer behind a 5 ton truck aswell especially with a 450 JD loader on it.

I have a feeling this trailer has the old bias ply odd ball tires they ride pretty crappy without a load on them. Oh ya if they are getting old and tired looking start searching around they are not a easy tire to find.

They are a split rim wheel the last set the contractor I worked for installed had to grind the bead of the tires to make them fit on the rim.

Randy Scott
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
....I couldn't let this one slip away....Only had to pay $1500 for it

Andrew

Maybe there's a reason it was only $1500. In which you may have just experienced.

Andyinchville
03-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you all know that I got the trailer home safely....Basically what I did was to chain two 48" Exmark walkbehind mowers onto the very front of the deck for additional tongue weight....this kept the trailer from see sawing and kept the ride smooth....or relatively smooth....the trailer was still pretty heavy....Hope my expierence helps somebody else who thinks about towing a tilt top heavy equipment trailer with a PU.....Thanks for everbodys input and comments.

Andrew

Scag48
03-04-2006, 01:42 AM
It's possible that the trailer weighs more than your truck, that could be one problem. Plus, the way the suspension is set up for 24K pounds it rides rough as hell. Our gooseneck is rated for 12 tons and it rattles around pretty good empty, but ours only weighs around 4800 pounds and all the weight is on the ball in the bed of the truck.

Mr. Vern
03-05-2006, 02:27 PM
It's possible that the trailer weighs more than your truck, that could be one problem. Plus, the way the suspension is set up for 24K pounds it rides rough as hell. Our gooseneck is rated for 12 tons and it rattles around pretty good empty, but ours only weighs around 4800 pounds and all the weight is on the ball in the bed of the truck.
It shouldn't matter that the trailer weighs more than the tow rig. What matters is how the weight is distributed and how the brakes are biased. Next time you are on the road take a look at a big rig. The trailers are at least a few pounds heavier than the tractor. It is possible that you have too little tongue weight, too soft of springs on the tow rig(although w/a 3/4 ton hauling an empty trailer I would doubt it) or there is something seriously out of whack on the trailer - such as tire balance, etc...

Scag48
03-05-2006, 03:06 PM
What I meant was that the trailer weighs more than the truck and it's unloaded, therefore it's bouncing and pushing the truck around a alot. Sorry for the confusion.

gammon landscaping
03-06-2006, 01:07 AM
if the trailor has dayton axles when you mount the tires to the trailor you have to make sure the are right by rotating the tire and adjusting it by tighting the proper lug nut