PDA

View Full Version : Snake repellant?

Rayholio
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
ok.. I know that this is a long shot.. but I have a customer that is freaking out about snakes.. and of course she basicly lives in the woods.

She's looking for a snake repellant. Have you guys seen anything that actually works? She has a privacy fenced back yard, and that's where her main concern is.

-Ray

HydroRI
03-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I bought a jug of Dr. T's Snake-a-way. It is listed for poisoness and non-poisonous snakes. I used it to control the garder snakes around my house because I have a lot of stone walls and my wife freaks out when she sees them. I am not too fond of them either. You basically spread it along the perimeter and it repels them away from the scent. It smells like moth balls. I don't think it actually harms them. The product EPA No. is 58630-1. It seemed to work pretty well but I think you have to re-apply often. I came home from work one day and my neighbor across the street told me he saw a snake leaving my yard and was trying to make it across the street...so I guess the stuff worked. Good Luck!

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Terrier will do it..may have to go through a few of them to get the job done though

TforTexas
03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I have heard applying sulfer to the lawn and bed areas helps because it makes the soil acidic and it is irritating to the snakes underbelly. Now I dont know what that much acid will do to the turf and plants. I guess if you have Rhododendron and azalias it'll be okay.

moonjunespoon
03-03-2006, 02:49 PM
I have heard applying sulfer to the lawn and bed areas helps because it makes the soil acidic and it is irritating to the snakes underbelly. Now I dont know what that much acid will do to the turf and plants. I guess if you have Rhododendron and azalias it'll be okay.
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :drinkup:

kirk brown
03-03-2006, 03:32 PM
i would go with a mongoose:)
don`t know never heard of anything,i don`t think they can actually smell.

TURF DOCTOR
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Layne Staley

TURF DOCTOR
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I service a residential customer,they throw down moth balls for snakes i don't know if this works,.

allgreenlawncare
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Find there food source be it rodents or insects eliminate their source of food and they will move on..

Rayholio
03-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Do cats and dogs count as a food source? LOL Actually, all she's seen have been baby snakes... probably there by 'accident' any how..

befnme
03-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I service a residential customer,they throw down moth balls for snakes i don't know if this works,.

no turf docter , moth balls dont work....we tried that in the tobacco houses before thay had the fancy ones now and we always had snakes .

HoseJockey
03-04-2006, 07:53 AM
We use sulfar at a radio station here in Memphis. It is surrounded by woods and has a lake runs between the buildings with islands in the middle. We spread the sulfar around the banks to keep the snakes from getting on the side walks and parking lots. People tend to freak out when they see a 4' snake on the side walk in front of them. The sulfar seems to work, we apply it twice a year.

Tscape
03-04-2006, 09:38 AM
s-u-l-p-h-u-r

sounds like snake oil.

PLM-1
03-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I had a customer that inquired about this problem. To my chemical companies knowledge, there isn't any commercially available product.

lawnspecialties
03-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Find there food source be it rodents or insects eliminate their source of food and they will move on..

I agree 100%. All those other remedies seem to be just hocus-pocus. When we had mice in the shed, we had snakes. When we had frogs in our shrubs, we had snakes. When we've had nothing, never saw a snake. I also have woods behind and beside my house.

I know the customer won't do this, but I've just learned to like'em. I have no problem now going out there and just picking up a black or rat snake. No big deal and they keep the rodents out. I also know what a copperhead and rattler look like. I ain't that brave...or stupid.:hammerhead: