PDA

View Full Version : Price for 7 acres

one man gang
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm giving a bid for 4 baseball fields(7 acres) for cutting trimming and Fertilizing. I'm sure they'll take the lowest bid, any ideas what to charge?

wissel_landscaping
03-03-2006, 12:38 PM
i have one house its 5 acres cut,edge trim blow. no fert. i charge $140 a cut
7acres with fert. i would go around $300-$350

lawnwizards
03-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm giving a bid for 4 baseball fields(7 acres) for cutting trimming and Fertilizing. I'm sure they'll take the lowest bid, any ideas what to charge?
are all the baseball fields in the same location?

jtkplc
03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
What kind of equipment are you going to be using and how long do you think it will take to mow?

one man gang
03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes, they are all in the same location and I'll be using Gravley 52" hdro and belt drive 36" and I'm thinkin 2 hours. Also if anyone built a gate(easy lift) spring I'm looking to do the same and would like to know the best way to do it.
Thanks for everyones help

PGA
03-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Yes, they are all in the same location and I'll be using Gravley 52" hdro and belt drive 36" and I'm thinkin 2 hours. Also if anyone built a gate(easy lift) spring I'm looking to do the same and would like to know the best way to do it.
Thanks for everyones help

2 hours to do 7 acres with a 52 and 36????

Anyway....7 acres...at least $500 a cut.

lawnwizards
03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
2 hours to do 7 acres with a 52 and 36????

Anyway....7 acres...at least $500 a cut.
i take it you wouldn't want the job.. theres no way in hell theyre gonna pay over 70 dollars an acre. its a school remember. i'd say $245 a cut.

one man gang
03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Well the 52 is rated at 4.5 acres and the 36 3.4 acres per hour . Thats too high but we'd do it in 2 hours no problem. It's a little league that is paying

Mr.Mow-It-All
03-03-2006, 03:47 PM
2 hours (assuming 4 total man hours since you said a 52 and 36). It is hard to say because I could mow that 7 acres in about 1 hour and 45 min to 2 hours by myself. Then spend another hour trimming and I am under 3 hours, by myself, could charge $225 a mow and still make realy good money. Last year I mowed about an 8.5 acre no obstical piece of land and it took me right at 2 hours.

I would say about 250-260 each time. NOt sure about the fert.

jtkplc
03-03-2006, 03:50 PM
I mow 4 softball fields, 7-8 acres in 1.25-1.5 hours with a 60" deck. If both the 52" and the 36" are running together, then I don't know why they couldn't get them done in 2 hours, 4 man-hours.

As far as price, you'll have to figure out how much profit you want to make above the costs to do the job.

one man gang
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
what do you charge?

jtkplc
03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Too little in the past, but this year I'm asking for $300 for 5 hours worth of work. That's $60 an hour, which I can make a good profit from that, it's not as much as I would like to get for the work, but I'm not even sure they will want to pay that much.

Ideally it wouldn't be by the hour because what you make is relative to your efficiency, so the faster your machine goes or the faster you work, the less money you make, theoretically anyways. For large acreage, ideally you should charge by how much is there, not how long it takes you to do the work, at least that's what I've found to be best. However, you will be hard pressed to find someone that will pay for what it's worth probably, so you just adjust accordingly to what is still making good money, but with in reason to what someone will pay you to do the work.

Splicer
03-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I have to ask this...just how in the hell can you cut 7 acres in 2 hours by yourself? Has to be a pretty crappy job to go that fast. I know I have a little over 1 acre of open ground to cut (my property) and it takes about an hour and 15 minutes or so with one 50".

I am not saying you guys do crappy work by any means, just that a rushed job like that is bound to have deficiencies.

LawnMowerMan3875
03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Mr. Mow it all...
I am not able to PM at this time. I'm a Newbie..lol...I am interested in that trailer you have.
My email is lawnmowerman3875@yahoo.com if you would like to discuss the details
Thank You
LawnMowerMan3875

GrassBustersLawn
03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
I'll throw my 2cents worth in here.....those that said $300 and HIGHER....they will NEVER go for that!

I have a buddy that does 4 ball diamonds at one of the local schools. He only gets $80 for them. I SAID $80. And then they didn't want to ACTUALLY PAY HIM, but give him the value in SIGNAGE hanging on the outfield fence!Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole for that price. But there is so much competition that someone will snap em up CHEAP.

Good luck, I hope you get $300, but someone will get it for $100 or less.

Mike

Flex-Deck
03-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Around here, seems people are only willing to pay $25 per acre. Not too many trees on ball diamonds, so I would bid $175 per mow, and 2 1/2 times that per fertilizer app. ($440) - I have a 7 acre JD store, with bunches of tractors and equip I have to negotiate, and it takes 1.5 hrs. with my wide mower. I mowed a 7 acre airstrip (3200 ft long last year once just to see how a no obstacle mowing job would take, and the wide mower did the 7 acres in 50 minutes flat.

Splicer
03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Around here, seems people are only willing to pay $25 per acre. Not too many trees on ball diamonds, so I would bid $175 per mow, and 2 1/2 times that per fertilizer app. ($440) - I have a 7 acre JD store, with bunches of tractors and equip I have to negotiate, and it takes 1.5 hrs. with my wide mower. I mowed a 7 acre airstrip (3200 ft long last year once just to see how a no obstacle mowing job would take, and the wide mower did the 7 acres in 50 minutes flat.
I gotta see that machine!:cool2: :weightlifter:

Flex-Deck
03-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I gotta see that machine!:cool2: :weightlifter:

Here it is:

PGA
03-03-2006, 07:55 PM
i take it you wouldn't want the job.. theres no way in hell theyre gonna pay over 70 dollars an acre. its a school remember. i'd say $245 a cut.

I dont live in Kentucky.

I do a 1.5 acre church for $175. With trimming it takes me about an 1.5 hours.

I really hate to say this again because I drive it into the ground but just because you cant make that much in Kentucky per acre doesnt mean the rest of the country cant.

PGA
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I have to ask this...just how in the hell can you cut 7 acres in 2 hours by yourself? Has to be a pretty crappy job to go that fast. I know I have a little over 1 acre of open ground to cut (my property) and it takes about an hour and 15 minutes or so with one 50".

I am not saying you guys do crappy work by any means, just that a rushed job like that is bound to have deficiencies.

I agree. I dont see anyone cutting 7 acres with 2 walkbehinds in 2 hours. It just wont happen.

one man gang
03-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I agree. I dont see anyone cutting 7 acres with 2 walkbehinds in 2 hours. It just wont happen.

You ( or your employees) are really slow or your machines are very slow. Both the hyro's and pro unit's top speeed is 8.5 mph. Go on Gravleys site and see yourself. They over estimate of course but not by too much. I have an 11 acre compound with a small lake in the middle. Approx. 3.5 acres but with lots of trees and bushes to steer around and we mow it in an hour. I get $125 for that and they're getting a steal( I got it when I was only part time) . Residential prices are o.k. here but the bigger ones are cut throat, these dudes jam them self every time. I'm thinkin the $175 might get it and not jam myself too bad. They've never paid to have it done (they had some guy do it after work) so i think the 200 range might make them continue to do that.

lawnwizards
03-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I dont live in Kentucky.

I do a 1.5 acre church for $175. With trimming it takes me about an 1.5 hours.

I really hate to say this again because I drive it into the ground but just because you cant make that much in Kentucky per acre doesnt mean the rest of the country cant.
i'd say 90% of the country couldn't make 70 an acre on 7 acres. i make 60 per acre if its 1 or 2 acres. anything over that i'm lucky to get 35-40 per acre. if i try to bid any higher than that, i'll get underbid big time. but if you do get 70 per acre on 7 acres, more power to you.:waving:

Tonyr
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
if you can't get your $60 an hour out of a job, any job, why bother?

just because it is a school makes it no difference to any other property, stick to your average working price, win some, lose some, those guys that will go in cheap and get it, why?

you can earn more per hour doing better paying jobs.

btw, my bid was $460

7 acres of mowing, trimming etc has to be worth something, or just just working for beer money.

I'm so tired of of the cheap, cheap, cheap attitude in this industry, if guys looked past this, and more people stuck to realistic pricing, it would eventually raise the bar and you could actually make a buck out of these types of jobs.

250 for 7 acres.....too much work, too little money, why not just do it for a round 100? Hell, next guy, says, easy job, who cares about profit, do it for 50, stop lowballing each other and concentrate on raising the pricing structure not bloody lowering it!

I just don't understand you guys bent on trying to work cheaper than the next guy, seen this in m,any threads, like he who works for lowest price wins!

I think, and have seen, he who works for peanuts end up broke!

you lot are thinking about it all in reverse, aren't we here to make money, or are we here to just cut grass?

The smart guy says, I'm here to make money outa cutting grass, and will not be caught in the bargain price game a lot of you guys love to play.

Of course bigger mowers are faster, therefore are on a higher hourly rate....but as they finish earlier their price is competitive, but it comes to a point, how cheap are you guys gunna let mowing an acre get??

This is an industry, not a hobby to most of us, it matters, not like we can all mow paddocks etc all day every day, mowing has to be worth something, if not, why bother.

amvega
03-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey I know we're all in this to make money, why else would we be doing it. I don't know anybody that works that don't want make money. Sometimes what we'll do when teams approach us is to give them the minimal price, and then give them the rest as a donation or for a advertising banner to hang on the field. Think of how many people will see those fields. If you get a couple of customers from it that is where you can make up the profit. Plus you get a tax write off. It's a win win situation.

LwnmwrMan22
03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey I know we're all in this to make money, why else would we be doing it. I don't know anybody that works that don't want make money. Sometimes what we'll do when teams approach us is to give them the minimal price, and then give them the rest as a donation or for a advertising banner to hang on the field. Think of how many people will see those fields. If you get a couple of customers from it that is where you can make up the profit. Plus you get a tax write off. It's a win win situation.

You'll see about $20-30 / acre, so that means somewhere in the $175ish range per cut.

Now, are we talking full sized high school fields, or are we talking softball / little league sized fields.

I mow for the local school district.

I can mow (2) softball fields in less time than I can the main highschool baseball field with 300' to the corners and 340' straight away centerfield.

It takes me an hour with the 60" Kubota ZD28, but that's with stripes going back and forth.

If I follow the contour of the infield, or the outfield fence, so I start at the left field foul line, curve the stripe around, and turn back again on the right field foul line, instead of going straight in, straight out from say, 3rd base out to the left field fence, and then back and forth, I can shave 4-5 minutes off since I have that few number of turns left.

lawnwizards
03-03-2006, 11:18 PM

just because it is a school makes it no difference to any other property, stick to your average working price, win some, lose some, those guys that will go in cheap and get it, why?

btw, my bid was $460

7 acres of mowing, trimming etc has to be worth something, or just just working for beer money.

I'm so tired of of the cheap, cheap, cheap attitude in this industry, if guys looked past this, and more people stuck to realistic pricing, it would eventually raise the bar and you could actually make a buck out of these types of jobs.

250 for 7 acres.....too much work, too little money, why not just do it for a round 100? Hell, next guy, says, easy job, who cares about profit, do it for 50, stop lowballing each other and concentrate on raising the pricing structure not bloody lowering it!

I just don't understand you guys bent on trying to work cheaper than the next guy, seen this in m,any threads, like he who works for lowest price wins!

you lot are thinking about it all in reverse, aren't we here to make money, or are we here to just cut grass?

The smart guy says, I'm here to make money outa cutting grass, and will not be caught in the bargain price game a lot of you guys love to play.

Of course bigger mowers are faster, therefore are on a higher hourly rate....but as they finish earlier their price is competitive, but it comes to a point, how cheap are you guys gunna let mowing an acre get??

This is an industry, not a hobby to most of us, it matters, not like we can all mow paddocks etc all day every day, mowing has to be worth something, if not, why bother.
hell, for $460 per cut your probably a lowballer in aussie land..... every region is different... $460 may be what your market can bear and $250 may be all that another can bear... i get tired of people always talking about beer money..... why does working efficiently and with low overhead make someone working for beer money? maybe more people should shoot for such success....

cantoo
03-03-2006, 11:29 PM
61" Bobcat ZTR takes us 45 minutes to cut each diamond. Plus unlock and lock gates. Driving fast does not work it makes a mess and you will lose the job. We were also offered the signage on the fence deal. We said we are not looking for more work we just want the diamonds to look better than the last guy did. $1 per minute of time on the field. We also spray and fert them.

Tonyr
03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
no, I'm sitting just above the average rates.

dunno where calling me a lowballer came from, I charge more than most yet get most big jobs I bid on.....I guess it is how ya present yourself at the meeting, youe gear etc. in my country 460 would be a very average figure, many would charge much more, many less....

============

$460 may be what your market can bear and $250 may be all that another can bear... i get tired of people always talking about beer money..... why does working efficiently and with low overhead make someone working for beer money? maybe more people should shoot for such success....
============

ok, if 250 is what you guys see as a good price to mow, trim etc 7 acres, go for it, I thought the original poster said there was more than just mowing, yet numbers I'm reading I just can't see how you can mow plus other stuff for money like 250.

if anyone here took a job that big, mow, trim etc, etc for 250 they would be working for beer money, we earn that in less than 3 hours on ressie acreages of 1.5 acres each.

shooting for success.....yes, we all should be! that is what business is all about! thank you for saying that, though meant as sarcastic, you are right.
success is about happiniess and wealth, if ya mowing for peanuts, most contractors won't have the shear volume of open area jobs to make it worth it. so they compete with guys with big fast mowers, and in doing so help to keep prices down by working cheap.

anyway, this is your game guys, sorry I stuck my nose in......I just see the game played at a different angle, the low price game is not my thing, people who hire us aren't broke, yet so many want work they go in so cheap, pity, we could all earn much more if we didn't get sucked into the low price game.

lawnwizards
03-03-2006, 11:52 PM
dunno where calling me a lowballer came from, i didn't mean it serious... i used to talk to a girl from australia that talked about how the prices of everything was so much higher then in the U.S. i didn't mean to offend you... :waving:

Tonyr
03-04-2006, 12:22 AM
lol, no worries....

true though, we pay much more than you guys.....e.g I paid 30k plus for my j.d 997, you guys pay 15k....just one example.

your trucks.....we don't even have those choices here, and certainly not many with the big engines, our govnt. lets us import jap stuff, not that nice stuff you guys drive. btw, you don't want to know how much a f250 costs here lol.....lets say, they are very rare for a reason.

nissans and toyotas are all we get mainly, and they are around the 60k plus for a ute.

different worlds mate, very different, I an very envious as what you guys can own, we just dream about the toys you guys have lol.

Killswitch
03-04-2006, 01:26 AM
What kind of equipment are you going to be using and how long do you think it will take to mow?

Wrong question.

You have to assume someones bidding it with 72 inch mower (s) or bigger units.

Its a munincipal bid. Low bid wins nearly 100% of the time if you can prove capability.

Killswitch
03-04-2006, 01:28 AM
The moral of the story is someone will bid it for 200 a cut.

I need a few wide open no brainers myself....lol

Im tired of tree lined properties.

The landscaper
03-04-2006, 01:41 AM
I do agree with Tonyr though. Look how many times you see guys go in and steal a job for 10 or 15 bucks. Someone else maybe be doing it at 30-35 but the new guy isn't knowledgeable of what is going on. They just figure heck, I can do a couple of these a day and make an extra hundred bucks each week. To few people try and go in and win a job with salemanship and quality. Why not try and go in and try to get 40. Sell them on how great things will look and how they will have no worries. If you don't get it, o well move onto the next lawn and try the same thing. Odds are you will get a few and those will be profitable accounts. I would much rather have 50 of those accounts then 150 reg accounts. The people are obviously going to be much easier to deal with anyhow.

Just a thought ehhhh

one man gang
03-04-2006, 01:41 AM
You'll see about $20-30 / acre, so that means somewhere in the $175ish range per cut.

Now, are we talking full sized high school fields, or are we talking softball / little league sized fields.

I mow for the local school district.

I can mow (2) softball fields in less time than I can the main highschool baseball field with 300' to the corners and 340' straight away centerfield.

It takes me an hour with the 60" Kubota ZD28, but that's with stripes going back and forth.

If I follow the contour of the infield, or the outfield fence, so I start at the left field foul line, curve the stripe around, and turn back again on the right field foul line, instead of going straight in, straight out from say, 3rd base out to the left field fence, and then back and forth, I can shave 4-5 minutes off since I have that few number of turns left.

Actually I posted this question before I looked at the job. It's 4 fields but no way is it seven acres maybe 4 at the most and they spray around the fences (so the trimming is minimal) so the 175 would be o.k., also since it's a playing field there maybe be 2 cuts a week for April and May. All markets are different but I'm sure they don't have 40 G's in the little league fund to cut the grass at 4 bills a week. Also When you have room to grow you have to take some bad ones until you can replace them with good ones. Maybe some day I'll be big enough to name my price like it seems some of the guys on here are but not yet. .

befnme
03-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Actually I posted this question before I looked at the job. It's 4 fields but no way is it seven acres maybe 4 at the most and they spray around the fences (so the trimming is minimal) so the 175 would be o.k., also since it's a playing field there maybe be 2 cuts a week for April and May. ..

this is assuming you are legal to spray .and if it is schools you have to see what they do not want sprayed ( chemical wise ) they can be very perticular...

PGA
03-04-2006, 09:20 AM
You ( or your employees) are really slow or your machines are very slow. Both the hyro's and pro unit's top speeed is 8.5 mph. Go on Gravleys site and see yourself. They over estimate of course but not by too much. I have an 11 acre compound with a small lake in the middle. Approx. 3.5 acres but with lots of trees and bushes to steer around and we mow it in an hour. I get $125 for that and they're getting a steal( I got it when I was only part time) . Residential prices are o.k. here but the bigger ones are cut throat, these dudes jam them self every time. I'm thinkin the $175 might get it and not jam myself too bad. They've never paid to have it done (they had some guy do it after work) so i think the 200 range might make them continue to do that.

Maybe thats the reason I bid so high. There is no way I would even waste my time cutting 7 acres for $200.00.

Thats the neighborhood kids price.

And I still dont see that happening in 2 hours UNLESS your on a ZTR and have it balls to the wall for the entire 2 hours and its completely ideal conditions. What about trimming and blowing? Does that take into account slowing down for the countour of the land? What about weather conditions? Or what about the fact that the 8.5 MPH you suggested was road tested on a hard surface and NOT on grass.

You can call me slow all you want. I do 12-15 yards a day by myself. The final product is done right and looks great.

GrassBustersLawn
03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I still say it will go for $100 or LESS.

Plus they will want you to do it to THEIR SPECS. ZTR will be OK on outfield, but I can almost guarantee they will want a WB on the infield!

You are right, they won't pay $350 or $400 per week to have it cut twice. They won't want to pay $200 a week.

KEEP US POSTED as to how it turns out.

Mike

jtkplc
03-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Wrong question.

You have to assume someones bidding it with 72 inch mower (s) or bigger units.

Its a munincipal bid. Low bid wins nearly 100% of the time if you can prove capability.

Excuse me? Wrong question?

PGA
03-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Excuse me? Wrong question?

It was the wrong question. He wasnt slamming you but its common knowledge that most people who bid on commercials like that are running 72 inch decks. Their companies are built for areas like that.

Killswitch
03-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, no offense, and I have a habit of responding to page one posts when by page four they were already covered probably.

But yeah anyone with a wide open commercial like that especially a munincipality or association will get bids from guys with large gear.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if Uncle Tom ends up cutting these with his tractor and a brush hog for gas money and to be a nice guy.

Theres a lot to be said for figuring ones own costs though so in that sense it wasnt the wrong question, but you have to consider that someone else will be using larger equipment.

jtkplc
03-04-2006, 01:49 PM
He didn't say what equipment he was using in his original post and it turns out he WASN'T using 72" mowers. So that's why I asked, because if I assumed he was using 72" mowers, I could have given wrong info, as well as anyone else if we all assumed he ran 72" mowers. So I guess I must just be missing the point here as to why it was a wrong question. My thinking is that it would have been wrong to assume he was using a 72" mower. :confused:

Precision
03-04-2006, 04:06 PM

btw, my bid was $460

Thank you Tony. I didn't feel like typing all that.

This is a business. Bid to MAKE MONEY, not to get the bid.

one man gang
03-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Maybe thats the reason I bid so high. There is no way I would even waste my time cutting 7 acres for $200.00.

Thats the neighborhood kids price.

And I still dont see that happening in 2 hours UNLESS your on a ZTR and have it balls to the wall for the entire 2 hours and its completely ideal conditions. What about trimming and blowing? Does that take into account slowing down for the countour of the land? What about weather conditions? Or what about the fact that the 8.5 MPH you suggested was road tested on a hard surface and NOT on grass.

You can call me slow all you want. I do 12-15 yards a day by myself. The final product is done right and looks great.

Dude come on , your the only one on here who disputes this. Also $50 per man hour might not be great but it ain't kid prices. I do 15-18 alone for a $35 per lawn average. I suppose a smart guy like you gets $50 for an average .25 of an acre lawn? I get a fair price but I'd rather do a $25 old lady who doesn't ever complain than $40 from a smug republican who needs to have the best looking yard on the block

PGA
03-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Dude come on , your the only one on here who disputes this. Also $50 per man hour might not be great but it ain't kid prices. I do 15-18 alone for a $35 per lawn average. I suppose a smart guy like you gets $50 for an average .25 of an acre lawn? I get a fair price but I'd rather do a $25 old lady who doesn't ever complain than $40 from a smug republican who needs to have the best looking yard on the block

Read the thread. Im not the only one who said they wouldnt do it for $200.00.

If you want to make money then raise your prices up. Obviously you dont or you wouldnt let your personal/political views of people get in the way of what you charge or who you work for.

For a 1/4 acre lot I would charge about $45.00.

I dont think $50.00 an hour is bad. Its $10.00 per hour less then what I charge. But I still dont think your going to mow 7 acres in 2 hours.

Work smarter not harder. Im not insulting you. Im trying to teach you something. Last year I took all my customers up $5.00 per cut. That averaged out to over $10,000 extra income in one year. Did I work any harder? Did I work any longer? NOPE.

I gave myself a raise. Nobody seemed to mind.

LwnmwrMan22
03-04-2006, 05:43 PM

If you want to make money then raise your prices up. Obviously you dont or you wouldnt let your personal/political views of people get in the way of what you charge or who you work for.

I dont think $50.00 an hour is bad. Its $10.00 per hour less then what I charge. But I still dont think your going to mow 7 acres in 2 hours.

Work smarter not harder. Im not insulting you. Im trying to teach you something. Last year I took all my customers up $5.00 per cut. That averaged out to over $10,000 extra income in one year. Did I work any harder? Did I work any longer? NOPE.

I'd do it for $200, if it was 7 acres or 4.

I've also taken the time, where I found a 2001 Toro 4100 11' WAM with 300 hours on it for $14,000, which is only $4,000 more than the average 60-72" ZTR, on average, if not less, and I can cut double the grass, so, less time for me.

I've also marketed myself to large open areas, I don't even carry anything less than a 60" ZTR on the trailer, except for a 21" push mower, and usually stuff that I need that for, I just do with the trimmer.

Ramairfreak98ss
03-04-2006, 05:56 PM

agreed. for instance, i once did a 1.5 acre lawn, MOSTLY all open in the back area and took 1hr 15minutes to 1hr and 30 minutes with about 10-15 minutes of trimming involved in that time.

REMEMBER ANY walk behind no matter 20" or 72" are only going to go what 5mph? where most higher end ZTRs to 10-12mph with whatever sized deck?

61" mower on my ztr should do 7 acres at 10mph or something
61" walkbehind whatever is half that so 3.5 acres and hour max

We know we dont all mow the max and not ever overlap so these figures are more like 5acres per hour for my ferris ztr and 2 acres an hour for the walk behind version.

i wouldnt even bother wasting my stength and workers strength walking for that much, thats rediculous for one lawn.. Why not send ONE guy to it with a larger ztr? a 60-70" deck and 25+ hp machine can knock that out pretty well.

keep in mind high grass, if it is fertalized, you might have to slow down the machine if it gets thick after the week is over. Id base it on this. $50 per acre or $35 an acre if over 2 acres, so 7x$35 is $245. Id tell them if its for a yearly contract PER week $250 per cut. any less than that and your wasting your time or equipment costs.

one man gang
03-04-2006, 06:24 PM

Well more power to you but no way in hell is anyone getting $45 for that size lot in the Chicago area. I have never raised my prices on an existing customer .That builds strong loyalty.I bring prices up with new ones. I have a hard time believing you average $45 per cut, you must be in a very rich area with no one else cuttin grass. I average over $6o per hour (travel included) so with your prices you must be well over 100 per hour,no? I'll hit the 100 weekly mark this spring and with a $35 avg. that puts a guy in the 90 grand(based on 28-30 cuts )range and while that may be chump change for a guy like you but I think it's pretty good for 7 months work by most peoples standards. I realize that doesn't include expenses but it also doesn't include other sevices, clean up, hedge's ect.

PGA
03-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Well more power to you but no way in hell is anyone getting $45 for that size lot in the Chicago area. I have never raised my prices on an existing customer .That builds strong loyalty.I bring prices up with new ones. I have a hard time believing you average $45 per cut, you must be in a very rich area with no one else cuttin grass. I average over $6o per hour (travel included) so with your prices you must be well over 100 per hour,no? I'll hit the 100 weekly mark this spring and with a $35 avg. that puts a guy in the 90 grand(based on 28-30 cuts )range and while that may be chump change for a guy like you but I think it's pretty good for 7 months work by most peoples standards. I realize that doesn't include expenses but it also doesn't include other sevices, clean up, hedge's ect.

You've never raised prices?

Every other company in the world has to raise prices. Its called inflation. Its the way of the universe. If I was still paying .79 a gallon for gas then I probably wouldnt of had to raise prices but since I pay well over $2.00 a gallon I had to.

Customer loyalty has nothing to do with raising prices. They are loyal to you if you do good work and treat them well but they know damn well you have mouths to feed and bills to pay.

Second of all I NEVER said I averaged 45 a cut. What I said was that 45 is what I would get for a 1/4 acre lot.

IMO the only time I worry about my hourly charges is when Im landscaping or doing cleanups.

I dont think the hourly rate applys to mowing because you never know when a 20 minute yard is going to take one hour due to unforseen circumstances. I have a set price and thats it.

I dont know where you get the idea that Im bashing you. I never said 90,000 was chump change. I dont make that much. I was expressing my opinion on how to make more money but not have to work harder. You really need to stop taking things so personal.

Precision
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Well more power to you but no way in hell is anyone getting $45 for that size lot in the Chicago area. I have never raised my prices on an existing customer . that makes you a fool.

That builds strong loyalty.

No that builds a loss into your business plan. Say you start mowing in 1999 with gas prices at $1.35 per gallon and your quarter acre at $20. 2005 hurricane season and gas hits $3.30 per gallon and you are still mowing at $20 on that quarter acre. say in 1999 you make $2 profit on that yard and it took a gallon of gas to mow and trim and get there. so now in 2005 not counting any other expenses that went up. you make $0.05 in profit.

Now of course in 1999 the going rate for that yard was $25 so this whole time you could have been making $120 extra per year on that yard and every year you could have raised the rate $1 for another $24 per year. So you have left $120, 144, 168, 192, 216, 240, 264 on the table each year respectively. Then in 2005 when the gas spiked up (never to return below $2.00) you are now having to make it up on the new clients or pray for turn over. Something you don't want because you don't raise rates because you are afraid to lose any clients. The new clients don't take you because your new rates are too high, or you keep bidding low and slowly lose the business to lack of revenue.

in that time you left $1342 on the table and now cut the yard at cost. Great plan. let me guess you make it up in volume. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Soupy
03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
I have never raised my prices on an existing customer .That builds strong loyalty.I bring prices up with new ones.

You have not raised prices in 11 years? WOW!!! Your expense has got to be killing you or you were making some serious profits 11 years ago. I suggest you keep track of every minute spent on each customer then divide gross from each customer to see which ones are bringing the most per minute. I think you will be shocked. Cost is no cheaper for the old ones then new ones.

Loyalty?? If they are loyal they will allow a raise in price.

one man gang
03-04-2006, 08:56 PM
that makes you a fool.

No that builds a loss into your business plan. Say you start mowing in 1999 with gas prices at $1.35 per gallon and your quarter acre at $20. 2005 hurricane season and gas hits $3.30 per gallon and you are still mowing at $20 on that quarter acre. say in 1999 you make $2 profit on that yard and it took a gallon of gas to mow and trim and get there. so now in 2005 not counting any other expenses that went up. you make $0.05 in profit.

Now of course in 1999 the going rate for that yard was $25 so this whole time you could have been making $120 extra per year on that yard and every year you could have raised the rate $1 for another $24 per year. So you have left $120, 144, 168, 192, 216, 240, 264 on the table each year respectively. Then in 2005 when the gas spiked up (never to return below $2.00) you are now having to make it up on the new clients or pray for turn over. Something you don't want because you don't raise rates because you are afraid to lose any clients. The new clients don't take you because your new rates are too high, or you keep bidding low and slowly lose the business to lack of revenue.

in that time you left $1342 on the table and now cut the yard at cost. Great plan. let me guess you make it up in volume. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I'm a fool for cutting some old ladies lawn for $20? I have 3 20's left and they're all old ladies who have worthless sons ( Proably like you ) and don't have a lot of money. As long as theres slimebags like you out there I'll always have plenty of work. I also have a elderly cancer patient who I only chrge 25 for big lot. Does that make me a fool too *******?

cantoo
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Did some of you guys even read his post? He said it was baseball fields, do you really think there are hills or trees to cut around? Do you think there is much blowing or trimming to be done? He said "they" spray the fence so there is no trimming.
We don't have to get off our ztr to do ours other than to open and close the gate. The fields we do don't have grass on the infield so I guess it would take longer if it did. I question the seven acres for 4 ballfields. Our old 54" would take an hour to cut each field, good luck doing 7 acres with a 52" and 36". We use a ztr for fert so it only takes about 15 minutes to apply, it's donated by a local farm supply place and doesn't take much time anyway. Now for the guys with the big equipment saying they can cut it quicker than the smaller guys. Not necessarily true, this isn't wide area mowing this is drive 150' turn around and go back again and each pass gets smaller. The wide equipment just don't work on ball diamonds especially if they are all individually fenced like ours. We do soccer fields that are the same way, they are separated with rows of trees and bleachers. It's not worth the time saving to use the wide mower. My wife used our 61" Bobcat ZTR and I used our Steiner with 72" deck once. She was finished cutting and trimming before I got 2/3 across my field. Takes too long to turn and the travel speed of the Steiner is lower. I would like to try a 72" ZTR on it to see but the 72" is too wide to cut between the trees and bleachers.

Precision
03-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm a fool for cutting some old ladies lawn for $20? I have 3 20's left and they're all old ladies who have worthless sons ( Proably like you ) and don't have a lot of money. As long as theres slimebags like you out there I'll always have plenty of work. I also have a elderly cancer patient who I only chrge 25 for big lot. Does that make me a fool too *******?

I run a business. not a job, not a charity, not a not for profit lawncare for the cheap and infirm.

If people can't afford me, thankfully there are people like you who they can have do their lawn at a loss.

I however took economics and realize that my business needs to have more revenue than expenditures to survive. I realize that the only way I can make more money for myself is to have my revenue increase and increase faster than my expenditures increase.

Does that make me a slime bag? (notice the space) No, it makes me realistic and means I have a pretty good chance of actually being in business in a few years and probably having the money to hire in employees to do the grunt work while I spend time on what I am really good at, selling and making the company grow so I can employ more people. Providing jobs and helping the economy grow.

But of course I could sell all my commercial equipment, buy a Astrovan and some 2x12's for ramps, get a bent nosed weedeater and run around town chasing cash flow while I help out those who are better off than me.

Define worthless? are you talking moral character or money in the bank?

I do this because I chose to, not because I can't do anything else.

I was a top rated catering Chef in NYC for 10+ years. I made (take home) more than you likely gross in a year. I am in this to make a living for myself. I employ my sister at a very good rate of pay. I pay my other employees well. I have a solid reputation for doing quality work and constantly get referrals from clients.

This slime bag is happy that you have plenty of work. It means I don't have to deal with the bottom feeders who really can't afford service and don't value quality. Good luck and hope you and your charity cases do well this season too.

Precision
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Cost is no cheaper for the old ones then new ones.

Loyalty?? If they are loyal they will allow a raise in price.

Thank you Soupy.

But I have a feeling this is like shouting at a wall. All it does is annoy the neighbors.

one man gang
03-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey dudes, if you read my post I said I haven't raised my prices yet. I haven't needed too. As I said I'm still growing and and I average aprx. $35 per cut for avg( 70x150) house.Thats incuding my charity cases. I started this part time in Chicago 11 years ago whe a 25x 125 lot was $15. then I moved to out here (25 mile southof the city) Quit my steel job 2 years ago to be a full time lawn guy. If you guys are in an area where you get more than 35 per cut thats great but it won't fly out here. I do know I saw a lot of crews sitting around doing nothing and getting paid due to the drought so being a small operater can be a advantage. If people think I'm a low ball scrub so be it. I offer senior and war veteran dicounts to be cool but also because the old people cant cut the grass and able body people can and do when things get tight. I posted a simple question and I thank all the guys for their imput and to the rest of the guys that want to call me a lowballer and a fool I'll wave to your grunts as they sit in the shade and burn up all your money

Precision
03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Boy your a big time chef and a business mogul to boot and yet you have time to talk about how great and smart you are to a bunch of lowly grass cutters . Talk about a real renaissance man. I'll bet your lowly grunts who are making you rich are all taking turns banging your sister and your boy friend.

The last refuge of a true loser. Personal insults to cover the inadequacy of your own business acumen.

There are quite a few lowly grass cutters on this site. You happen to be one of them.

There also happen to be quite a few business men who have chosen to bring their talents to this arena and are doing quite well for themselves. I would not yet rank myself in their midst, as my companies are still to young to be proven.

There are also quite a few people on here who have the cutting of the grass part down and want to take their job and make it into a business. These are the people that are most helped by Lawnsite. Sometimes I am that person helping, sometimes I am that person recieving the help and that is what makes this site and the idea of it so great.

However people who can't win a pissing match, then acuse the other parties of incest are not very well like in professional circles.

enjoy your continued rants. you are now on ignore.

grassmanvt
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey dudes, if you read my post I said I haven't raised my prices yet. I haven't needed too. As I said I'm still growing and and I average aprx. $35 per cut for avg( 70x150) house.Thats incuding my charity cases. I started this part time in Chicago 11 years ago whe a 25x 125 lot was $15. then I moved to out here (25 mile southof the city) Quit my steel job 2 years ago to be a full time lawn guy. If you guys are in an area where you get more than 35 per cut thats great but it won't fly out here. I do know I saw a lot of crews sitting around doing nothing and getting paid due to the drought so being a small operater can be a advantage. If people think I'm a low ball scrub so be it. I offer senior and war veteran dicounts to be cool but also because the old people cant cut the grass and able body people can and do when things get tight. I posted a simple question and I thank all the guys for their imput and to the rest of the guys that want to call me a lowballer and a fool I'll wave to your grunts as they sit in the shade and burn up all your money

If you know all the answers, why ask the questions?

one man gang
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
And yes I do cut grass better than I spell

Ramairfreak98ss
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Ive cut lawns cheaper for some people before because of circumstances like theyre "poor" figuring its just extra work, but what would i have done, go home ealier? Id rather just get the $20 and someone is happy and might refer you to some millionaire lol.

PGA
03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
If they are that poor then what are they doing hiring a lawn service?

Precision
03-05-2006, 10:05 PM
If they are that poor then what are they doing hiring a lawn service? exactly. If they have money to smoke, money to eat out all the time, money to spend on the little hotrod in the garage, they have money to pay me properly.

And if they really are that poor, they can buy a $99 MTD pusher and do just like my folks did. Do it themselves and then when their slaves (I mean kids) got old enough, farm out the manual labor.

Brianslawn
03-06-2006, 12:37 AM
question is... why is one man gang so angry at everyone? the last new guy on here that couldnt spell and started trashin everyone disappeared quickly. is this the sequal? :waving:

Joel Armstrong
03-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Whats the price for the 8x20 landscape trailer

Ramairfreak98ss
03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
If they are that poor then what are they doing hiring a lawn service?
usually theyre older too, if not they just let it grow 2' tall lol, till the city tells them to do something about it.

grassmanvt
03-09-2006, 12:39 PM
For the most part these guys are trying to help. I'm not sure why you feel the need for all the childish name calling. Thats good for shootin' the bull with the guys but not very proffessional on what is supposed to be a bussiness forum. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but being a newcomer at anything and trashing people that are kind enough to take their time and through out some ideas isn't the way to fly. If you don't want feedback, don't post. These guys are trying to keep you from pricing that leeds down a slippery slope, not trying to tell you what to do. But, I will say this, by your comments and train of thought on the subject. It leads to a dangerous pricing schedule. Yes, it may work solo, but these methods (mainly caving to customer situations, always working for their price, and last but not least, pricing at a certain level because you feel you can't get mre out of it) make it awfully hard to run a legitamate self sustaining business on anything more than a solo level. At least thats how I see it. Just remember, lots of us know things from experience and while there is no stedfast rule on anything, there are certain models people fall into that make it very hard to run a susccsefull business. Some people make it work, some have gone against the grain and become very succsesfull under super tight management and a little luck but it is the exeption to the rule. I know I've made tons of mistakes and wish I would have had a little more advice, and run things a little tighter, it would have made things a lot easier down the road. Anyhow, I've spoke my mind, I'm done with this, good luck.

LwnmwrMan22
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Personally, IMO, one man gang needs to leave....

I'm thinkin he's just a troll anyways.

Either that, or he needs to not take everything personally, just blow off the criticism that he doesn't like....

It's really not that hard.

CC Lawncare
03-09-2006, 03:54 PM
:p :p I have to admit:laugh:. I have read every reply to this thread and it is way too funny. I am trying to figure out if onemangang is just messing around and trying to get everyone going or if he is really serious. If it is the latter,..............well, best of luck to him in his endeavors and life in general -----he will need it.:hammerhead:
The best post was from Joel Armstrong(I think he was on the wrong thread), he ask " How much for the 8 x 20 trailer?". In all of the chaos and heated discussion, it just seemed to fit.:laugh: :laugh:
With everyones tempermant on edge, let me say up front that I do not mean anything nasty toward anybody that posted. We can all use a good chuckle now and then.

one man gang
03-09-2006, 06:08 PM
:p :p I have to admit:laugh:. I have read every reply to this thread and it is way too funny. I am trying to figure out if onemangang is just messing around and trying to get everyone going or if he is really serious. If it is the latter,..............well, best of luck to him in his endeavors and life in general -----he will need it.:hammerhead:
The best post was from Joel Armstrong(I think he was on the wrong thread), he ask " How much for the 8 x 20 trailer?". In all of the chaos and heated discussion, it just seemed to fit.:laugh: :laugh:
With everyones tempermant on edge, let me say up front that I do not mean anything nasty toward anybody that posted. We can all use a good chuckle now and then.

It's about time someone took this for it's entertainment value, and the trailer one was good. And for what it's worth it's the bigger outfits out here that do the lowballing

Flex-Deck
03-10-2006, 04:58 PM
WOW - I thought this thread was "Pricing for 7 acres" Not a bunch of bull sh@t about trailers. When will you people wake up and stick to the deal???????????????????????????????????????????????????