PDA

View Full Version : Large Area Bid-alot of guidance!

Craftybigdog
03-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Alright here is the deal. Its for a development. About 25 acres of open space hardly any obstacles. The kicker is Im bidding against Brickman. So you know what that means. My angle Im working is I offer snow removal and they are right on my route going to my other developments. I will be using 3 72in mowers there so it shouldnt take that long, what is your thoughts on pricing. Normally Im the most exspensive out there, but I have to be careful on this one because of who Im bidding against. Thanks alot guys!

nobagger
03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm not being a smart arss, but you stated you already do other developments, I just would think if your at that level why do you need help from others in here.:confused: Not that no one would help but, these questions can really only be answered by you. I could see if you were brand new to this business or never bid commercial accounts before but by the sounds of it you have "other developments" Sorry man these types of questions just don't sound right to me. Too much fishin'.:nono:

Craftybigdog
03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Well basically the other developments arent this large and I know I need to sharpen my pencil for this one. The largest I do now around there is 3 acres not near this.

M RASCOE&SONS
03-03-2006, 01:48 PM
3 machines at 65 per hr = 195 per hr x 4hrs $780 per cut..give it a shot 2 things can happen ,you get it or you dont..good luck tell us how you make out

lawnwizards
03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
i'd say someone with a WAM would get this kind of property. from what i've seen on here i'd say that the bid will be somewhere between 500-550 a pop... all you WAM guys, correct me if i'm wrong....:waving:

rodfather
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
3 machines at 65 per hr = 195 per hr x 4hrs $780 per cut..give it a shot 2 things can happen ,you get it or you dont..good luck tell us how you make out

job will go for 1/2 that I bet, maybe a little more.

prizeprop
03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
i'd say someone with a WAM would get this kind of property. from what i've seen on here i'd say that the bid will be somewhere between 500-550 a pop... all you WAM guys, correct me if i'm wrong....:waving:
Whats a WAM?

rodfather
03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Whats a WAM?

Wide Area Mower, like the bat-wing type.

prizeprop
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Thank you sir.

Craftybigdog
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Half that are you kidding?

DLCS
03-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not being a smart arss, but you stated you already do other developments, I just would think if your at that level why do you need help from others in here.:confused: Not that no one would help but, these questions can really only be answered by you. I could see if you were brand new to this business or never bid commercial accounts before but by the sounds of it you have "other developments" Sorry man these types of questions just don't sound right to me. Too much fishin'.:nono:

I was thinking the same thing.

Seems to me with all the fancy equipment that you have, you must be doing somethng right. So, why ask these kind of questions knowing that there is no way we can give you an accurate bid, since we don't know your costs..

Craftybigdog
03-03-2006, 04:29 PM
I guess I was hoping to find a couple of guys that have bid against Brickman and they could shed some light on it. Because right now Im leaning towards a 1000.00 a cut. Im still thinking about it.

qps
03-03-2006, 04:32 PM
job will go for 1/2 that I bet, maybe a little more.

As a WAM owner Jac 5111, 600-675.00...and I agree with rod, it will be lower than that with brickman....

Jpocket
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
I guess I was hoping to find a couple of guys that have bid against Brickman and they could shed some light on it. Because right now Im leaning towards a 1000.00 a cut. Im still thinking about it.

I can tell you you won't get it for $1,000 a cut unless you know someone on the inside. Brickman might be half of that.

baddboygeorge
03-03-2006, 11:52 PM
i bet someone will get this property for 450-550 . I wouldnt do it for under 800 an thats firm see ya george

befnme
03-04-2006, 02:23 AM

the point is ....only you know what you have to have to make money..we dont know your expences ....if it is 100.00 or 1000.00 only you know.

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-04-2006, 03:32 AM
I would bid it no differently than any other bid. Why lower your bid because Brickman is bidding on the same property? Bid it where you think you will make the profit that you 'deserve.' I wouldn't lower my bid on a property just so I have a better chance of getting the job. Your costs are your costs and you need to make a profit to stay in business.

If you are leaning towards $1,000 dollars a mow then make that your offer. If $1,000 is the price where you believe you will be able to make a profit, there's no sense in taking a 'loss' just a get a property to maintain it.

Dave

hole in one lco
03-04-2006, 03:52 AM
your offering 2 services make the money on the plowing cut for x but plow for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ this will be a good account if you bid right

MOW ED
03-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Mayby you are not set up to compete against Brickman. I don't know you or Brickmans business and I certainly don't know your costs. I am not in the large mower league either but I can draw parallels between small and big companies. I personally do not mow anything bigger than 2 acres and 90% of my business is less than 15K ft. I make money on these properties because I am set to mow them quickly and I cover my costs and make a profit. How does that relate to you and Brickman? Brickman knows their costs and they are big enough to absorb some lower prices to get jobs because they make lots of money in other areas. They have their name out there. So if Brickman is bidding the job at 600 and you need 1000, they will get it and they will make money on it. The key for you is knowing that you absolutely need 1000. If you do need 1000 to cover your costs and make a profit(important little known hint) then you can't compete. You seem to be profitable at 3 acre properties so stay with that.
To draw a similar parallel compare me with my solo operation and 1 62" Z bidding against you and your 3 72"s on a 3 acre property. I would never win because for me to cover my expense and time I would have to charge much more than you. You could probably cut and trim that property in 30 minutes and it would take me 2 hours. Your spec package would look better to the business owner with 3 z's on a crew and I can only show me and my trailer. Thats why I don't bid those. Brickman is set to mow that, you may be set to but you have to admit that you don't have the resources that they have.
It has nothing to do with how good you are or reputation it is economics. Its like the guy building swimming pools with a round point vs a bobcat vs a backhoe. They could all do it but who can do it best per unit of time.
I still say give it a bid but stick to YOUR pricing, not what you think anyone else would price it at. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Craftybigdog
03-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for everything guys and I will let you know how it evolvles!

MMLawn
03-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I bid against Brickman (and TruGreen Landcare & Budd) all the time. So, first of all I suspect that this acct is more than just cutting, as Brickman rarely bids on just cut, and go jobs. They want full service commercials because they make their "real" money in the "other services" not the grass cutting part. If it is full service that changes the bid price greatly. If it is just mow, blow and go I guarantee you Brickman is doing it for $400-$500 per. They will just throw 6-8 low end employees at it and be done in a couple or so hours. Based on cut only they will look at it as a 2-3 hour job not a 25 acre one.

Like everybody said no way anyone can tell YOU how to bid this. If you do as man developments as you claim then you should already have a per hour formula that you can work and adjust on each different propery as conditions warrant. But I promise you $1K a cut if it is cut services only will not get it against Brickman. Also Brickman does snow removal for their clients only, here so I would think they would there also.