PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emergence control for thistle in mulch beds

get rich
03-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyone help me with what to apply to control thistle in mulch beds before they start poping up? Last year i had to physically remove them first from mulch bed about twenty five feet long by 12 feet wide because it was covered in em' and i wanted to save the perennials inthere along with couple shrubs and three big spruce tree's. Then on a weekly or bi-weekly pace i sprayed them so they wouldn't take over the bed again. This year i'd like to take a pro active approach and apply something after installing the new layer of mulch. Any ideas? This is a lawn i mow weekly so i am there and can keep a close eye on it for break down of chemicals, also this is a bed in Northern IL if that helps. Just a thistle problem though....Thanks!

moonjunespoon
03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Snapshot for pre-emergent and Round up for post

get rich
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
So in other words there is nothing out there you know of for pre-emergent control...just post? There has to be something?? Or does snap shot at a heavy rate offer limited pre-emergent control? Last year i used a mix of round up and speed zone...worked great and fast. Thanks for the input.

Grassmechanic
03-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Snapshot IS a pre-emergent.

get rich
03-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I know that snapshot is a pre-emergent, what i am saying is i guess i should of course get the labal out and read it, but i am almost certain snapshot offers little if any control of thistles. Unless you put i down at a very heavy rate maybe. I'll get the label out and get back on this one.

philk17088
03-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I know that snapshot is a pre-emergent, what i am saying is i guess i should of course get the labal out and read it, but i am almost certain snapshot offers little if any control of thistles. Unless you put i down at a very heavy rate maybe. I'll get the label out and get back on this one.
Snapshot doesn't control thistle.

get rich
03-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Didn't think so.... then it would be a waste of money and product. The only problem in this bed is thistle. It can go months w/out other weeds.

TurfProSTL
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Rich,

You got a bird feeder in that bed?

get rich
03-05-2006, 04:06 PM
No bird feeder, the previous company taking care of the place insatlled mulch that was keep in a farm field that was thistle heaven and i am sure that the seeds all just mixed into it. Some areas worse than others, but this bed has been a son of a gun too keep under control, the rest of the place just needs spot spraying here and there. What i try to do is spray them one week then when i am there mowing the following week i will pull the unsightly dying suckers knowing in seven days round up got to the roots. But i only physically remove them seven days after spraying them. But this bigger burm has been hard and time consuming to deal with. So i thought that here in the spring i could lay fresh mulch down and spray with a pre-emergent and limit my time in this area this coming year. Oh well i guess i'll have to figure something out. I don't think weed barrier is an option, i've seen thistle in the past pop right through. Maybe i'll have to charge more for the weekly bed work. Thanks!

philk17088
03-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Whats in the bed? Just mulch? Junipers?
If so you can spray lontrel on the beds to kill the thistle.

lilmarvin4064
03-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Maybe a high rate of Gallery might work

Russ
03-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Check out the roots in this link

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/WS/CanadaThistle/

get rich
03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
There area couple large spruce trees and maybe five spireas and at both ends of the burm there are perrenials(daylilly and iris) I did recomend that we rip out everything but the spruces and spray the heck out of it and wait til fall to re-plant but she would like it re-planted soon after the tear out. So if i use spray after the tear out i need to re-plant soon after. But i am affraid that if i tear out then spray and remulch i'll miss some of the thistle that haven't started popin up yet and be back to square one. Although all the work i did last year spraying did do wonders for the bed, most of whats left is whats growing up through the perrenials or the spireas or under low branches on the spruce trees. Well i appreciate all the info so far, Thanks.

trentslawncare02
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
We had the same problem....why can't customers understand that when you put bird feed with thistle seed in it you WILL have thistle growing in the landscape bed. Haven't found any really effective pre emergent.