PDA

View Full Version : gutter cleaning?

plantzpropertymanagement
03-03-2006, 03:18 PM
just wondering how you guys clean gutters if you do?

lowballer17
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
gutters suck for the most part. Unless it's a new house with few trees I would avoid them. My first year I did gutters, what a mistake. So many times the house looked great from the outside, only to climb up the ladder and find the gutters were never cleaned in 10+years. Light debris can be removed by using the hand blower while on the ladder on laying down on the roof. But most times you have to clean out by hand/water hose. Another point, on those nice warm sunny days in spring, the gutters are usually frozen rock solid.

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Ladder, scoop, 16 ft slider pole with gutter getter on the end, bucket.

Place ladder once, pull it all to you, do 30ish foot without having to move the ladder over and over.

If you can walk the roof and scoop.

(you could use a blower but if you go that route and you damage the shingles you could have a big mess on your hands)

Most i don't rinse, try and add the bulb type gutter strainers for $5 a piece (nice add on they are around $1 a piece) Make sure downspouts are clean (I give a free downspout unclog for 6 months)

Charge accordingly!!! Don't low ball this job, anytime you use a ladder or are off the ground price goes up!!!

Good base to go by $.50 - $1.00 a foot (sometimes more)

Remember they want you risking your neck up there so they dont have to, most will pay!

I'd do just gutters if i could line them up enough...

Good luck!
All_Clear

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
gutters suck for the most part. Unless it's a new house with few trees I would avoid them. My first year I did gutters, what a mistake. So many times the house looked great from the outside, only to climb up the ladder and find the gutters were never cleaned in 10+years. Light debris can be removed by using the hand blower while on the ladder on laying down on the roof. But most times you have to clean out by hand/water hose. Another point, on those nice warm sunny days in spring, the gutters are usually frozen rock solid.

Use the right tool for the job, you wouldnt use a 21" push mower to mow 5ac.

If your serious about gutters, find a kit for cleaning them... some home depot and lowes ect... sell things just for this.

Also you should always look to see what kind of debris there is before giving a quote...

It's easy enough to clear $100 an hr doing gutters.....

Most of all make sure your covered by ins. (you may not be covered for ladder work, check with your agent)

All_Clear

PMLAWN
03-03-2006, 04:03 PM
We custom make the "gutter getter" but other than that we are the same as all clear. Biggest hassle is moving the ladder. I do not get the light ones, only the 300+ and at 40foot it is very heavy. I hate to have 2 guys on the job when most of the time only 1 is working but for safety we do. We do not go higher than 40'

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
" We custom make the "gutter getter" "

Would you mind explaining or sending me a picture... (all_clear@msn.com)

I have used the gutter getter scoops and gutter grabber.... I bought one of the 16 foot slider poles for windows but when i quit doing those i realized it was perfect for doing 30+ feet of gutters at a time. (i use a 32 ft ladder if it doesnt reach i'm not doing it, unless they want to pay rental fee for a bucket)

All_Clear

plantzpropertymanagement
03-03-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks for the feed back that really helps

SPLC
03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I typically just use a backpack blower along the gutter walking on the roof. Nothing escapes that force!

I'll have to check into a "gutter getter" though. Pics to Lawnman323@aol.com if you could.

Nice tip in pricing, that helps.

lowballer17
03-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Different strokes for different folks. You guys can have my gutters. Regardless of the "tool" used, I just hate them. Heights also give me problems. Liability, power lines, rotten wood on houses, just scare me away from the start. Yeah, people usually pay what you quote, can make $$ on them, I just prefer to CUT, EDGE and TRIM all for one low price of $17.00 most lawns.

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Well here's one that i have used and have never had a problem with... the metal pole it came with i found useless since the 16ft ext pole fits it.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT18259/sc.5/category.2026/it.A/id.1529/.f

I didnt order it from here but it was the first example pic i googled

All_Clear

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Different strokes for different folks. You guys can have my gutters. Regardless of the "tool" used, I just hate them. Heights also give me problems. Liability, power lines, rotten wood on houses, just scare me away from the start. Yeah, people usually pay what you quote, can make $$ on them, I just prefer to CUT, EDGE and TRIM all for one low price of $17.00 most lawns.

I understand what your saying... If you were closer i'd take them all and refer you to cut lol but MI is a little far to expand for now.

All_Clear

daveintoledo
03-03-2006, 04:59 PM

gutters, one of my biggest money makers.....

hey lowballer, that is great, why dont you come down here, its only 20 minutes, and ill get you all the work you can handle and ill pay you 18 per yard what do you think of that....hahahaahhahh

ill bet i can get you 50 or 60 yards to do youll be rich at 18 bucks a pop, wow 900 bucks a week.... really ill set you up, just dont ask the customers what they are paying.......

:p

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 05:11 PM
ill bet i can get you 50 or 60 yards to do youll be rich at 18 bucks a pop, wow 900 bucks a week.... really ill set you up, just dont ask the customers what they are paying.......

:p

So would you at that rate!!!

All_Clear

lowballer17
03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I cut have a 4000 sq foot house on a 40x90 lot.
I wont touch anything large.
1 acre lots forget it.
Though I will cut a 60 x 125 lot.

Dixie Rob
03-03-2006, 05:30 PM
We own a gutter company, and if someone calls, we charge $1.00/linear ft to clean. We just get our gutter installers to climb up their extension ladders with a 5 gal bucket and fill them up! Works nice and smooth.

Good luck.

John Gamba
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
We own a gutter company, and if someone calls, we charge $1.00/linear ft to clean. We just get our gutter installers to climb up their extension ladders with a 5 gal bucket and fill them up! Works nice and smooth.

Good luck.

How many inches is in a linear foot.

Thanks john

All_Clear
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
How many inches is in a linear foot.

Thanks john

basicly 12... just a different way to refer to a foot... the word "lineal" refers to a line of ancestry, not to length. Boards, pipes, and fencing are typical objects measured and sold by the linear foot.

Thats about an avg price as i have come to see across the nation... If people have gutter guards i price higher (1 for time, 2 for lack of needing cleaned, you'll rarely get GG customers on a yearly schedule)

All_Clear

John Gamba
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
basicly 12... just a different way to refer to a foot... the word "lineal" refers to a line of ancestry, not to length. Boards, pipes, and fencing are typical objects measured and sold by the linear foot.

Thats about an avg price as i have come to see across the nation... If people have gutter guards i price higher (1 for time, 2 for lack of needing cleaned, you'll rarely get GG customers on a yearly schedule)

All_Clear

Thanks John

Green-Pro
03-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I use an Echo backpack blower and the gutter cleaning attachment Echo makes for it. I only do one story homes (insurance liability) and the only time the ladder comes out is to look down the gutters to make sure all clear. The attachment means I never leave the ground, just poke the curved end over the gutter and it shoots everything out of there. I poke it in the top of the downspout and clean them out until I see grass blowing on the ground end.

PMLAWN
03-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks John
But at sea the linear foot can be a lot longer, or shorter depending on the wave hight. Also much easier to measure early in the day, gets harder as the liquid flows down, but of course makes more sense.

Did the boat flote:waving:

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 11:53 PM
If there is ant steep pitch,,tie yoursef off to something,a chimney..the other side of the house and over or whatever.Never work on an icy roof and stay away from power hook-ups on the roof..the electricity can.."jump" onto you or your tools.Wear only boots w/ good sticky soles or climbing shoes.
Don't EVER use a homeowner ladder.