PDA

View Full Version : Ever Damage Sprinkler Heads whilest mowing?

Splicer
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I know I have f'd a few up in my time doing catv:hammerhead: . If I have to go across the property to get to the pole I inevitably nail some from time to time. But that bucket van is REAL heavy and my GT is not but still...

Done any damage either either the blades or just driving over them?

Precision Lawns
03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
If the sprinkler heads are installed properly, you won't damage them when you mow. The only way you should hit them is if they're installed too shallow, defective or malfunctioning. We have a clause in our service agreement saying if we damage your sprinklers because of one of these reasons, we're not liable. But we've never hit one.

lowballer17
03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Brand new house, poorly installed sprinkler system, hit the heads, then I hit the cable and phone lines which were not buried. The owner was pis****, but hey, I told him I'm not responsible for stuff not up to code.

MysticLandscape
03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I work at a golf course, i cut the fairways and sometimes the heads dont go back down and one day i wasn't paying attention (checking out the cart girl :angel:) and i hit one in the fairway but it only went back down but if i break it have to fix cause thats my job but i like doing irrigation work so ...

OutdoorExtras
03-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Whether the sprinkler heads are installed properly or otherwise not replacing them (if you damage them) is not a wise idea:nono: . It's just part of the business.
I normally carry a few replacents as well as a cap or 2 just in case. Just cap the line and replace it on the next cut; most small heads are very cheap not worth losing a customer or your reputation.

lawnmaniac883
03-03-2006, 08:02 PM
If I hit it, I will replace it. Simple as that, IMO you should be able to dodge the things easily enough to avoid hitting them the majority of the time. As for telephone/cable wires that is between them and their service provider because if I hit those then that means they werent up to spec.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I know I have f'd a few up in my time doing catv:hammerhead: . If I have to go across the property to get to the pole I inevitably nail some from time to time. But that bucket van is REAL heavy and my GT is not but still...

Done any damage either either the blades or just driving over them?
Walk the yard before you start mowing. Sometimes they get stuck,old ones... I Carry a couple in my truck just in-case.I also have a clause in my service agreement regarding heads not working right!If you want to keep the client tho, just fix it....if not run them all over:laugh:

ECS
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
I have hit them with a new lawn, I have ripped them out while plowing. I also charge them a good fee to fix them come spring time.