PDA

View Full Version : Stihl trimmer?

Palmer'sLS
03-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi all, i am about to buy my very first commercial trimmer. I have heard very good things about stihl from family and friends, but i am wanting to hear how proffessionals think about them. I am looking at maybe the 110 model or something a little smaller. Currently i only cut around 15 lawns...but i am 16, so if any one can help thanks!

Precision Lawns
03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Great trimmer - you can't beat Stihl for power. Fewer RPMs than say a shindy or Toro, but it's high power. In other words Stihl has more torque per turn than Shindy, but shindy has more turns. I think the Stihl trimmer would be a great trimmer for you.

Lazer_Z
03-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Plamer,Take a look at the STIHL FS100RX it's a little lighter than the 110. But if your looking for pure power and the $ amount is not that much different then go for the 110.

Good luck

Rob

mkwl
03-03-2006, 06:39 PM
You should also look into Red Max trimmers, if you have a dealer near you. I was originally looking into a Stihl trimmer, when my dealer convinced me to try a Red Max trimmer. I tried it out and loved it so much, I bought one! I have had my Red Max BCZ2600S (26cc) trimmer for 2 years now with NO problems at all! It has all the power and torque in the world, I'd highly recommend Red Max equipment! :usflag:

6'7 330
03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Plamer,Take a look at the STIHL FS100RX it's a little lighter than the 110. But if your looking for pure power and the $ amount is not that much different then go for the 110.

Good luck

Rob

Around here the FS100 will save about 75 bucks over the 110.They both have the same engine,and power.The employee's like the 100 over the 110 due to it being noticeably lighter.The 100 will not have the capacity for attachments.For everyday trimming the 100 is very good trimmer.

mr.glenn
03-03-2006, 08:41 PM
i have slowly replaced all my equipment as it wears out or quits with new stihl equipment. i currently use as my main trimmer a used yard sale stihl fs-74. it was my first stihl 2 years ago and has never been in the repair shop. i will never use anything else! my echo edger is about to bite the dust and it also will be replaced with a stihl. currently have 2 stihl blowers, 2 stihl trimmers and 1 stihl hedge clipper and 1 stihl brushcutter.

Palmer'sLS
03-03-2006, 08:51 PM
wow mrglenn, you are quite the fan huh?, thanks for the feed back looks like i will be buying the fs100!!!!

evergreenedmond
03-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I"ve been using nothing but stihl for 5 years, we cut around 40 yards a day and they rarely break down

procut
03-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Stihl makes an excellant product IMO. Very good luck with them.

Blade-o-grass
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I have a new stihl trimmer, and blower...they have both been in the shop since I have bought them for lack of power. I have probably used the trimmer only 15 times and even after I got it back from the shop it still is loosing power after it has been running over 15 min. so I am not to impressed so far.

Palmer'sLS
03-03-2006, 10:31 PM
looks like its 6-2 in favor of the stihl

jtkplc
03-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I've run a Stihl FS 80R for 2 years and not one problem. I would buy a Stihl again. Plenty of power...

Palmer'sLS
03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
thanks jtkplc, so the fs80 has plenty of power?, baisically im just using it around buildings and walkways, nothin heavy thanks

glennd
03-03-2006, 11:39 PM
The key is the type of fuel you mix with. Low power and problems results from low octane fuel mixture, Stihl recommends 89 octane.
I've run Stihl for 4 years, love the FS85 trimmers, since they don't produce them anymore, I bought 4 FS80's. Good trimmers but not solid shafts, so no attachments. Had a 250 but some dummy didn't secure it on the trailer, so no more 250, it was a beast. Bought 2 Echo 210's last year since they were cheap, and they are. Not real pleased with performance of that model, probably would have been better to go with 230 or 260. Talked with Redmax and Shin reps about their product, might try some out later this year.:cool:

drumbo
03-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a Stihl (new last year) and find that it tends to take a few pulls to get started. The balance is weird when starting so it seems to jump around upon pulling. This caused several scraped knuckles with my crew & myself.

Thus, I bought a John Deer this season to add to the group. I must say, easy on the start and VERY light and balanced.

I think these are my new favorite trimmers.
PLUS...only straight shafts are allowed in the lawn biz for pros...just in case you were considering a curved...

Palmer'sLS
03-03-2006, 11:55 PM
thanks drumbo.....i learned my lesson about bent-shafts...thanks for the remind tho

jtkplc
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
thanks jtkplc, so the fs80 has plenty of power?, baisically im just using it around buildings and walkways, nothin heavy thanks

Oh my yes, plenty of power. I never run it above 1/2 throttle for normal trimming, there is no need, it's just overkill and a waste of fuel and my money. For trimming around buildings and walkways like you mentioned, it will be more than enough power, in my opinion.

TriplePLandscaping
03-04-2006, 12:12 AM
I have two sthil trimmers one is the fs85. This trimmer has been put through hell and back still no problems. I also have the 110. This thing is a tank, sure sounds like one. Love them both , I will always b a sthil man

mcwlandscaping
03-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Stihl all the way! Have the FS85R and love it, will be getting the FS100RX this season as my main trimmer and converting the 85 into an edger! Love stihl stuff!

dtelawncare
03-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Last year I bought a homeowner stihl. It has been great. Today I just bought an FS80. The power equpment store I bought it at suggested that model. The owner ran about 4 crews for a few years before starting the power equip store. He said the FS80 is the most popular trimmer. I tryed it out today and was very impressed. the Easy Start system is great on it. Very well balanced also.

scagchevy4life
03-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Ive got an FS85... last year made.. probably the best thing ive ever bought..
I was seriously cutting trees like 5 inches in diameter without even flinching. That baby is a monster.. too bad they stopped making.
My newest is the FS110 and my KM110.. They are both extremely powerful machines... The KM is good if u are going to be switching around with other things liek powerbroom for spring clean up.. I would do that.. much better investment for future for not too much more!
Good luck to you my frined
Gabe

Palmer'sLS
03-04-2006, 01:38 AM
thanks for all the wonderful help i have recieved!!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
03-04-2006, 01:57 AM
I Have A Stihl Fs-85 Model. I Have Used It For Two Years And Love It. The First Year I Had It, I Was A Little Indifferent About It Because It Seemed Just Average. But With A Lot Of Stihls, The More You Use Them The Better They Get. At The Beginning Of The Second Season, I Took It To My Local Shop To Have Them Check Everything Out And Adjust The Carb. Geese, I Was So Impressed. It Has Run Great And Even After Sitting Through The Winter. I Could Go Out There Right Now And It Would Start In 2-3 Pulls.

Brendan Smith
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
You should also look into Red Max trimmers, if you have a dealer near you. I was originally looking into a Stihl trimmer, when my dealer convinced me to try a Red Max trimmer. I tried it out and loved it so much, I bought one! I have had my Red Max BCZ2600S (26cc) trimmer for 2 years now with NO problems at all! It has all the power and torque in the world, I'd highly recommend Red Max equipment! :usflag:
ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!! Can't say enough good things about Red Max

chuck89
03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Has any noticed that the john deere and stihl are almost identical except for the colors?

CuttinUP
03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I have the FS 100RX and it has been a great trimmer except when I first got it after using it for about 2 weeks it kept flooding out from just setting on the rack going from yard to yard. the dealer was great in trying to solve the problem they replaced the carb 2 times and then the fix on it ended up being removing the tank vent that vents to the air filter housing and putting in an older type that vents to the atmosphere like most trimmers do. I haven't had any problems since. The dealer has sold a ton of this model and mine was the only one that has done this:confused: go figure. The sthil rep said that there were 2 others in the country that were doing this. They figured out how to fix the problem on mine first then did it to the others and as far as I know the others are working fine also. But after all of this, Sthil will have my business for many years to come.:clapping:

JS Landscaping
03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
We have all stihl equpiment except for one trimmer, a husky 323L which is our back up trimmer. We have 2 FS 85's and 2 FS 100RX's. Never have had any problems from any of these trimmers. Stihl makes a top notch product IMO. We have Stihl blowers, demo saws, chainsaws, hedge trimmers and edgers. We have a great dealer near by who sells stihl exclusivley which also makes having a stihl fleet even better. I highly reccomned getting the 100 or even the 80 if your not mowing that many lawns. These are excelent trimmers.

James
JS LANDSCAPING

lawnmaniac883
03-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Has any noticed that the john deere and stihl are almost identical except for the colors?

Nope, least not the newer stuff w/ 4-mix.

7 IRON
03-09-2006, 02:53 PM

I Wish Stihl Made The JD Trimmers.Actually,The Xt Models John Deere
Offers Are Pretty Well Built.I Believe Deere Has Mitsubishi Make The
Engines In Their Trimmers.i Could Be Wrong.

7 IRON
03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
How about Husqvarna.Light Weight With High RPMS/Low Vibration.:)