PDA

View Full Version : Funny people--"I'm not griping."

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
So I get a call today from a customer who has me till his 5x15 ft garden and I do it for my minimum, $20.00. He has always been alright with the price. Last year he has me move a rhododendron. I tried to talk them into just buying a new one and replacing the one they wanted moved. No, they wanted that one moved because it was from the funeral of one of their daughters. It was in the middle of a 8" deep gravel bed with black plastic under the rock. And it was in a tight corner. I told them it would cost $40.00 for the work and they agreed. Today he called and asked for his garden to be tilled. Then he went into this thing about, "I'm not griping." but how I overcharged him for the rhododendron. I explained that he was wrong and it was a fair price for the work I had to do and he agreed to it at the time. Well he disagreed but he then said he wanted me to till his garden again this year and wants me to start mowing his lawn this year. I bid $25.00 (small yard) and he agreed. :confused: :dizzy: I think he was just trying to get a free tilling. We'll see where this leads.

lowballer17
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I know lowballing. If the customer argues about an ultra low price dump him. I have no time for the customer to lowball me especially when my price is rock bottom to begin with. Time=$

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
I love the customers who after you give them a bid on a job and accept it will start asking "Well, can you do this too?" or "Do you care if I throw this pile on your trailer?" It gets to the point when I have to say "I can do it, but it's going to cost more."

I don't mind doing trivial things that don't take more than a minute or two for the most part. Especially if they are good customers. But enough is enough after a short while.

Dave

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-07-2006, 03:17 PM
So I get a call today from a customer who has me till his 5x15 ft garden and I do it for my minimum, $20.00. He has always been alright with the price. Last year he has me move a rhododendron. I tried to talk them into just buying a new one and replacing the one they wanted moved. No, they wanted that one moved because it was from the funeral of one of their daughters. It was in the middle of a 8" deep gravel bed with black plastic under the rock. And it was in a tight corner. I told them it would cost $40.00 for the work and they agreed. Today he called and asked for his garden to be tilled. Then he went into this thing about, "I'm not griping." but how I overcharged him for the rhododendron. I explained that he was wrong and it was a fair price for the work I had to do and he agreed to it at the time. Well he disagreed but he then said he wanted me to till his garden again this year and wants me to start mowing his lawn this year. I bid $25.00 (small yard) and he agreed. :confused: :dizzy: I think he was just trying to get a free tilling. We'll see where this leads.

I went to till today and he was out there with his neighbor. I pull up and proceed to unload the tiller. He says to the neighbor, "Yeah, this guy's going to till my garden. He's the guy who overcharged me last year on the rhododendron.
I felt my blood begin to boil so I says to him, "You know what? You need to find someone else." I started to put the tiller away and he says, "Really. Why?" I was kind of surprised at that comment and his denseness. I explain to him that I don't appreciate him saying that and that I don't think it's a good idea for us to have a business relationship if he is, basically, going to call me a thief and bad mouth my company. I told him that if he feels that way about the price then we would probably have these kinds of disagreements in the future because I am not the cheapest even though I gave him what I felt was a below my normal standard fee. He said that this was no way to run a business, turning away paying customers. My answer was, " For me it is. I have enough customers who appreciate the quality of my work and the value of that quality." His answer was, "If you feel that way then maybe we shouldn't do business. But I will tell everyone I know how you just treated me.". I told him that he was already bad mouthing me so what's the difference? He just stood there, looking in disbelief as I drove away.
Did I do the right thing in you guys' opinion? I'll probably not get another job in that neighborhood but it sure felt good to lay down the law and for once I felt in control. :usflag:

jpp
03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I went to till today and he was out there with his neighbor. I pull up and proceed to unload the tiller. He says to the neighbor, "Yeah, this guy's going to till my garden. He's the guy who overcharged me last year on the rhododendron.
I felt my blood begin to boil so I says to him, "You know what? You need to find someone else." I started to put the tiller away and he says, "Really. Why?" I was kind of surprised at that comment and his denseness. I explain to him that I don't appreciate him saying that and that I don't think it's a good idea for us to have a business relationship if he is, basically, going to call me a thief and bad mouth my company. I told him that if he feels that way about the price then we would probably have these kinds of disagreements in the future because I am not the cheapest even though I gave him what I felt was a below my normal standard fee. He said that this was no way to run a business, turning away paying customers. My answer was, " For me it is. I have enough customers who appreciate the quality of my work and the value of that quality." His answer was, "If you feel that way then maybe we shouldn't do business. But I will tell everyone I know how you just treated me.". I told him that he was already bad mouthing me so what's the difference? He just stood there, looking in disbelief as I drove away.
Did I do the right thing in you guys' opinion? I'll probably not get another job in that neighborhood but it sure felt good to lay down the law and for once I felt in control. :usflag:

Good for you. I can't believe he had the backbone to bad mouth you right in front of you. Was the neighbor still out there when you gave him your 2 cents right back at him? I have no time for people that think they should be getting something for nothing.

daveintoledo
03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
but ill bet his neighbor thinks he is a jerk... man that is way cheap, 40 bucks to move a tree....he had nothing to complain about...... id have charged him 150... let him bit&^ about that hahahahahha seems like he was trying to brag to his neighbor,..... and that just makes him look bad not you..... sounds like you handled yourself very well.....even when you were that upset ,,, thats cool....

you feel you did the right thing that is all that matters.... seems your a very honest person and that will eventually pay off,

it would be too cool if the neighbor ended up hiring you...you could smile at him as you ride by once a week..hahahaahahahaha

good luck man...:)

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Good for you. I can't believe he had the backbone to bad mouth you right in front of you. Was the neighbor still out there when you gave him your 2 cents right back at him? I have no time for people that think they should be getting something for nothing.

As I started to put the tiller back on, the neighbor said, "See you later." and went back in his house.

jpp
03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
As I started to put the tiller back on, the neighbor said, "See you later." and went back in his house.

Well, then I think the neighbor knows what type of guy he is and did not want to see him get slammed. He probably acts like that to everyone, I think you will be fine if this guy does say anything to the rest of his neighbors. They will take it for what is worth.

JP

Sir mowsalot
03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
You handled yourself very well. If this guy is an ass to you, then he doesnt some how magically transform himself to nice guy when you leave, he is an ass to everyone even his neighbors, guaranteed, so i wouldnt worry about him bad mouthing you, his neighborhood knows him, and what an ass he is.

I always laugh at 9-5ers telling me what is good business, like they really know.LOL. Take this guy with a grain of salt.

Remsen1
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I applaud you. $40 to move a rottodendrum is very cheap. I bet he is suffering the consequences of bad mouthing you now, because even the $20 till was very cheap. He'll end up wishing he kept his mouth zipped.

Green-Pro
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I've found that if a person is that stupid and that big of a jack off, usually all the neighbors think so to.

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I applaud you. $40 to move a rottodendrum is very cheap. I bet he is suffering the consequences of bad mouthing you now, because even the $20 till was very cheap. He'll end up wishing he kept his mouth zipped.

Naw. There's plenty of guys around here who would till his garden for $10.00 and move a bush for $15.00. Their quality is a bit lacking. I got a call last year from a client who hired one of those, "Will till any size garden for $10.00.". When I went over it I found, and the client already knew, that he tilled less than 4" deep and left gaps of up to 18" between tilling rows. He may regret because of quality but not because of price.
The reason I did these things so cheap is because i wanted to get my foot in the door in this neighborhood and he said he wanted a host of other items done including a border retaining wall. I counted on making the money back on those other items. I did learn something. Trust your instincts and do nothing on the cheap.

cantoo
03-07-2006, 11:36 PM
You did the right thing. Guys that start like this only get worse. You saved yourself some time and aggravation. Now if only you could sleep with his wife that would be the ultimate payback for the bad mouthing. Of course the neighbour is likely already taking care of that.

printer88
03-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Yep you made the right move.:dancing:
I would have had a hard time keeping my cool. I will not even leave my house for just $20.00, not to mention loading and unloading the Tiller and buying gas. That guy is a LOOOOOOSER and he will be sorry, but as bad as he was I do not condone adultery as payback:angel:

Richard Martin
03-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Yeah, you did the right thing and handled it correctly. I don't mind if a customer tells me they think the price is too high but when they start yacking and bad mouthing you right in front of your face that's another thing altogether.

geogunn
03-08-2006, 10:59 AM
YARD--I see nothing wrong at all with your packing up and quitting the old geezer.

but I, personally, have become calloused to petty comments as long as I get my price for a job and the comments don't get too personal.

if I were in your situation, I'd have tilled and while he was paying me I would have asked him what else I could over charge him for with a wide toothy grin. :)

but I understand your point. the last time I got angry with a customer berating my work, I got pretty ugly about it.

GEO :waving: