PDA

View Full Version : Anyone operate a strictly female crew?

Wells
03-03-2006, 06:13 PM
This year I decided to start up a second crew and I have hired a female worker as the crew leader. She had plenty of experience doing this type of work, a desire to be outside, and seemed extremely self motivated. Now I just need to find one more worker for that crew and I was considering hiring another female employee.
Does anybody currently operate a strictly female crew and if so does it operate more effectively or less effectively than a strictly male crew?

Splicer
03-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Bet you get more accounts with just chicks being the crew. :cool2:

Flex-Deck
03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Does me and my wife count??:canadaflag: :usflag: :laugh:

lowballer17
03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I know I wouldnt get anything done with that set up.

Sir mowsalot
03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Does me and my wife count??:canadaflag: :usflag: :laugh:
Im confused. Are you calling yourself a girl?

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Yes I do ..let's see...there is me..myself and I and we are all three female.

Wells
03-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I know there a plenty of husband/wife teams out there doing maintenance work but I can't say i've ever seen a strictly female crew out their and by the lack of responses I'm going to assume it's not all that common in this particular industry.

So, if I was to give it a try would you assume that the female crew would be every bit as effective as the guys grew, and would you foresee any problems?

sheshovel
03-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes women fight and get jealous of one another

1MajorTom
03-03-2006, 08:17 PM
that's just a generalization.
the question is just hard to answer, cause every individual is going to be different. if you can hook up your female crew leader with someone that she is compatiable with, I see no reason why 2 women couldn't work well together.. INFACT, I would rather have a crew of 2 women, then 1 guy one chic cause I think with the guy and chic there would be more chance of carrying on.
Wells, if you could bring your female crew leader in with you to the hiring process, that would be a plus. Let her give you her imput on who she thinks she would be comfortable working with.

crzymow
03-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Well i dont want to get hammered on my comments, but my ex partner was a woman, worked harder then most guys i see around, but she had her limits. I know everyone has their limits on things, we catch most of our grass clippings here, she struggled when she had to dump wet grass into the truck and usually took her longer to mow because of that problem. She may even dump more often so the bag wasnt as heavy, that is more time spent dumping. Dont get me wrong, she was great to work with, i hope i can find someone that works at least half as hard as she did. On the plus side of things, i think woman are more maticulus on things, especially when it came to mulch and flowerbed work. I'm not trying to put woman down at all, just stating some of the limitations. Like i said before i hope i can find anyone that worked as hard as she did, man or woman. Just my 2 cents.

Wells
03-04-2006, 11:19 AM
crzymow: I was thinking the same thing about women being more meticulous with their work then men are. I would be trade a little bit of time to insure better quality.

1MajorTom: I like your idea about bringing the crew leader in on the hiring process and getting her input on the potential hires.

naturescape
03-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Don't get sued for discrimination...........

PlantSolutions
03-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I am a tall and strong woman and I know I have my limitations. It depends what they are doing for you. If there is a lot of lifting (heavy containers, etc.) then get a male to help her otherwise get a woman. I think you need to hire the best one qualified for the job and one that has either a passion or defintely needs the money and who is not afraid to work hard.

Wells
03-04-2006, 05:07 PM
It depends what they are doing for you. If there is a lot of lifting (heavy containers, etc.) then get a male to help her otherwise get a woman.
This would be stictly a mowing crew and since we mulch almost 100% of the time there really shouldn't be anything heavy to lift.

LwnmwrMan22
03-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I've had females working for me in the past, and I've run the gammot with them.

One was overly athletic, LOVED the outdoors and ran a walk-behind, basically running behind it, and loved it. THEN she went to college for the winter, and came back and worked one day, and said it was too "mindless" of work for her, so she didn't come back again.

THEN I had another gal, who's dad I was decent friends with, looking for a summer job, so I told her to c'mon down. She was good, except every 12th, 13th, 14th of the month, she couldn't work... for "female" issues.

I also had 2 other women on two different occasions work for me, but they both quit within 3 hours of when they started, because they had to run the trimmer, not the ZTR.

IMO, as long as they're capable, there's no reason you couldn't have an all female crew. I've had guys work for me in the past that didn't know mixed gas from non-mixed, even though the mixed can is spray painted 1/2 black. :dizzy:

As you can tell from my experiences... these and MANY others are why I'm back to running solo.

LawnMowerMan3875
03-04-2006, 05:36 PM
My 14 year old daughter helps me part-time during the summer months. I had her just running the pushmower for trim work or tight spaces. She did and does very well. Then, what I did was set up road cones in the back 40 and gave her specific instructions on what I wanted her to do with each run I wanted her to run. After a couple of trial runs, she was operating like a pro..

Give respect, Get respect, Give Credit where Credit is due, Blame is usually not the one to first admit guilt...

timturf
03-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Have a two lady crew in my community. The ladies do it all! mowing trimming bushes, mulching, leaf removal, and we have tons of leaves!

Guess their age are 38 and 50. I'm within a couple of years

heather lawn sp
03-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Actually they had the the time of their lives. Worked hard and long 12 up to 14 hr days, flirted with other companies' guy crews, and giggled alot. Were gentler on the equipment. Down side was that none of them were mechcanically inclined so any time something broke I had to go out to bail them out.

heather lawn sp
03-05-2006, 04:36 AM
crzymow: I was thinking the same thing about women being more meticulous with their work then men are. I would be trade a little bit of time to insure better quality.

1MajorTom: I like your idea about bringing the crew leader in on the hiring process and getting her input on the potential hires.

You're right
Daughter #1 won't come back unless she gets to pick her crew. She doesn't want any dirty smelly old guys (I think she was referring to me)

heather lawn sp
03-05-2006, 04:47 AM
My 14 year old daughter helps me part-time during the summer months. I had her just running the pushmower for trim work or tight spaces. She did and does very well. Then, what I did was set up road cones in the back 40 and gave her specific instructions on what I wanted her to do with each run I wanted her to run. After a couple of trial runs, she was operating like a pro..

Give respect, Get respect, Give Credit where Credit is due, Blame is usually not the one to first admit guilt...

I'll see your 14 year old on a push mower and raise you a 13 year old on a JD 997 (72" diesel ZTR). She figures its her mower (daughter #3). 5' 6" 130 lbs 90% average, plays basketball and sings opera in her spare time (what?!?)

WeCare-LawnCare
05-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Old thread, but wondering if there are any more female crews out here!!

05-09-2009, 01:05 PM
all I ever see mowing for the city here is females. running ZTRs and front mowers, using trimmers too. Mostly college girls, and they seem to do a dam fine job. I really dont think it would be an issue.

1styear
05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Id would say that most of the time the all women crew would kick some butt working together.

I would not want to be around during that one week when everyone seems to be a wee bit cranky.

Lawn&LeafCo.
05-09-2009, 05:00 PM
There is a very reputable company in my home town that is owned and operated by a female. She has a crew of 3 other women working with her, and the do top quality work

heather lawn sp
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I've found that a mix is the best, girls get silly and guys get macho. a girl and a guy work best around here

jkilov
05-09-2009, 05:54 PM
And the speed of women operators?

terrypiper
05-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I know there a plenty of husband/wife teams out there doing maintenance work but I can't say i've ever seen a strictly female crew out their and by the lack of responses I'm going to assume it's not all that common in this particular industry.

So, if I was to give it a try would you assume that the female crew would be every bit as effective as the guys grew, and would you foresee any problems?

i think it would be a good idea. i think your lawns done by the female crew will look better because of their attention to detail. i would go for it, what do you have to lose. good luck

bohiaa
05-09-2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.manlyweb.com/mw-news/2008/06/16/bikini-lawn-care-service/

DuallyVette
05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
There's a company here that is female owned and operated. They only plant annual flowers.

ixlr8
05-09-2009, 07:51 PM
And the speed of women operators?
My wife is faster on our Z than I am, by a noticeable amount and she does just as good a job with the same or less marks in the lawn doing the turns.