PDA

View Full Version : Plant forensics???

FIREMAN
04-22-2001, 09:23 AM
Hello,
Does anyone know of any plant forensic labs, I have heard Bartlett tree has one. If known how were you results, my situation is as follows. My customer has had 4 arborvitae die in exactly the same location each of the last 4 years. I doubt insect trouble because it's in a row of close to 50 just like it also disease seems unlikely for the same reason. My thought is drainage trouble, seems to be sitting in a bit of low spot I'd like to get a definite answer beofre I install a replacement and end up garunteeing it in 1 year. Oh yeah, I posted a question about Bartlett a few eeks ago and as it turns out they were brutally expensive...like 2.5 times the other local estimates.

greens1
04-22-2001, 11:27 AM
I don't know about local labs, however you can mail a sample into MSU. I mail my samples, it is simply easier than driveing to Lansing. I will include the requisite MSU link below.
http://www.cips.msu.edu/diagnostics/

Good Luck,
Jim L

paul
04-22-2001, 12:25 PM
If water go check it out with a shovel, pick a dry day and dig up around the dead plants and the live plants next to them, you should be able to tell if there is too much water around them. Also check to see if they get salt spray, or wind burn. How long to they last? Are the plants next to them thinning out? Other problems are snow and poor sun light.

Lanelle
04-22-2001, 02:48 PM
In each state there is a university that is the headquarters for that state's extension service. Usually that university will have testing facilities that can be accessed through your local extension agent. So call your extension agent to help you. If you end up sending plant material to them, some tests may cost money while others are free. I would guess that Rutgers is the school in NJ but don't really know.