PDA

View Full Version : little trailer story

sheshovel
03-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Today A comes home with a story.He's putting on siding on a mini storage down in Fresno and all of a suddon he hears his boss yell OH NO NONONO!!!
Looks over and there is a guy who was going over the railroadtracks too fast..the pin sheered off on his hitch of his enclosed trailer full of PVC and landscaping equipment,the saftey chain breaks too and the trailer flys off the truck..and over smashing his bosses sons brand new 2006 truck 500 mi on it and then proceeds to smash the back end of his bosses truck too..rips the tailgate right off.
5 cop cars later the cops said he was going too fast over the tracks..dident even get a ticket..guess the cops felt bad for the guy cuz his insurance had to pay for two trucks plus his trailer!!Be carefull out there this **** does happen!

cgland
03-04-2006, 12:54 AM
We replace our receiver inserts every four or five years, just in case.

Chris

mrbray101
03-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I was driving a f-250 with 20 ft open loaded down with two 60" dixies and a walk behind and it popped off, that was some scary !@#$ but luckily we scraped to a hault and the safety chains did their job. I learned to check and double check the trailer truck connection, especially when I am not the one hooking it up.

richallseasons
03-04-2006, 10:16 AM
especially when I am not the one hooking it up.[/QUOTE]

yes here is a key point,i double check my guys before the equipment leaves the yard and on more than one occasion i have found the pin no inserted.It just takes one second and a $1.50 pin to cause thousands of dollars in damage and possible loss of life.A guy couple years back,a couple towns over overload his trailer with construction debris and not hook up the safety chains , well the whole thing came of his truck and collided head on killing a woman and her daughter,horrible thing did not need to happen.

mrbray101
03-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Thats sad to hear, people need to take a little more responsibility when dealing with heavy trailers and equipment, i guess they think it will never happen to them.

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I am finally legal in this state... Wired in my battery brake away controller a week or so ago. Actually I think they may be required on ALL trailers over 16' or over 2,000 pounds. I thought it was a DOT law... Personally I think the break away is a little silly if a person has sufficient saftey chains attached at all times.

On the subject of the break away controler... Where do you hook your cable for the pop-off switch on the back of your truck? I have mine looped and I put it around the receiver ball before I put the trailer on the ball. Basically my trailer would have to come off the ball and both chains would have to fail before the breakaway would be engaged.

For as many miles as I, and most people on here, pull trailers we can't be too concious about how they are hooked up at all times. Knock on wood, Iv'e never had an accident yet! Closest dumb thing I did one time was back my trailer into the garage to unhook and then go dump the truck. Well I unhooked the lights, chains, and flipped the coupler open and then I guess I was distracted breifly. Next thing I know I'm driving to go dump and had gone half a dozen blocks and notice MY TRAILER BEHIND ME STILL!!! Gravity was the only thing holding it on, and how I didn't rip the side of the door off as I left is beyond me! I will check and recheck the hitch now. If I even get a pang of insecurity that maybe I didn't hook something up I will pull over asap and check!

sheshovel
03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
well tyhis guys pin sheared off and his saftey chains broke too..slow down going over RR tracks.Or use a bigger chain Is what he learned I think

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
his saftey chains broke too..slow down going over RR tracks.Or use a bigger chain Is what he learned I think

Have you ever looked at some peoples saftey chains??? Iv'e seen so many that I wouldn't even trust with MY weight, let alone a 2 ton trailer! Iv'e seen several literally held to the truck with bailing wire and those pot metal gate chain clips. (my grandpas old trailer comes to mind...) Think of how many tons of force could be generated when a 2 ton loaded trailer comes off of a 4 ton truck. The force between the two as the slack in the chains is taken up and it hits the end of the chain would be 10's of tons of shock force.

start2finish
03-04-2006, 07:00 PM
the breakaway wire needs to be attached away from the hitch. If you have a receiver hitch then hook it to the bumper. It needs to be independant from the "reese" hitch. What do you think good it would do if the bolts or weld holding oyur hitch to the frame was compromised?

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 08:30 PM
the breakaway wire needs to be attached away from the hitch. If you have a receiver hitch then hook it to the bumper. It needs to be independant from the "reese" hitch. What do you think good it would do if the bolts or weld holding oyur hitch to the frame was compromised?

Ok, that was kinda my thoughts too! I was just lacking a place to hook it since my bed is a dump bed I only have the receiver and the 2 hook points for the chains, but I can and will be adding another small mount for the break-away.

start2finish
03-04-2006, 08:33 PM
we used to loop the wire through one of the rear stake pockets and hook it.

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 08:45 PM
we used to loop the wire through one of the rear stake pockets and hook it.

Oh, well my dump bed has a tailgate, no pockets. I thought about cliping it to the gate but I know what would happen... I'd get the wire caught on my shoe climbing over the tounge and I'd either end up face first on the ground or I'd have a broken switch from yanking the wire sideways with my foot!

I kinda have to child proof stuff from myself... lol!

scottishmaximus
03-05-2006, 03:11 AM
i think safety chains are about a waste. Chains don't like that sudden jolt and will likely snap. I use them, but have no faith in them.

walker-talker
03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
In some circumstances, safety chains do work. I lost my trailer last spring. I wasn't going very fast....maybe around 30 or 35mph. Not sure what happened to the hitch pin, but it was no where to be found. Personally, I think it was sabotage, but no way to prove it. I never disconnect my trailer from my truck.

gammon landscaping
03-06-2006, 01:12 AM
well i have seen safty chains work we have a home made 20 ft single axle tilt top trailor. i forgot to put the pin in the trailor clip and went about three miles down the road when i realized i was pulling the trailor by the safty chains i got scared and stomped the brakes sending the trailor tounge under the the rear axle of the truck. it wedged under and picked the back of the truck. pretty funny because i tried to pull forward and just one tire on the truck just kept spinning just barley off the ground. had to walk back to the shop and get the tractor to pull my truck off the trailor . was an odd accedent but atleast no one got hurt......except maybe my pride..