PDA

View Full Version : stooopid customers

Brianslawn
03-04-2006, 01:04 AM
whats the dumbest thing a customer ever said to you?

befnme
03-04-2006, 01:09 AM

i striped a new customers lawn and then she called me up and said you didnt cut every other pass of grass .lol .i told her to walk to the other end of the lawn and then look back to see the opposite effect of the stripe .

:http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=121781

Brianslawn
03-04-2006, 01:19 AM
i had one complain that there ARE stripes in the lawn! :hammerhead:

S man
03-04-2006, 01:26 AM
When I still had to cut the back yard the customer said I hope your coming back? Duh I had more grass to cut.

befnme
03-04-2006, 01:32 AM
When I still had to cut the back yard the customer said I hope your coming back? Duh I had more grass to cut.

omg that reminds me i had a cust that i was cutting for th first time , well when i finished cuttin i went back to trim and she was complaining about the grass that was uncut ..... i said " hey lady i still have to trim those spots.the clinker was she saw me trimming...what an idiot....

G.M.Landscaping
03-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Who are you and why are you cutting my grass.;)

Brianslawn
03-04-2006, 01:46 AM
i got you all beat! one BDRN (big dumb redneck) said i need to cut their zoysia shorter or something cause there was some weed growing all over the top of the grass. that weed was the grass seed. idiot before wasnt mowing right and grass never went to seed before. they didnt believe it was the grass seedlings. coincidently, the next day (saturday) the old man chased a jehovahs witness down the street while cussing cause kid knocked on his door on a saturday morning. believe it or not, they actually fired me after that week. maybe it was something i said.

Brianslawn
03-04-2006, 01:48 AM

gd dam!!! i submitted my last reply, and took a sip of wine as puter refreshed and showed your response. now my puter is red! :laugh:

befnme
03-04-2006, 01:54 AM
gd dam!!! i submitted my last reply, and took a sip of wine as puter refreshed and showed your response. now my puter is red! :laugh:

wine ???? i've had like 6 long islands tonight....i think i got ya beat.:hammerhead:

Brianslawn
03-04-2006, 02:23 AM
wine ???? i've had like 6 long islands tonight....i think i got ya beat.:hammerhead:

the bottle is empty and its 28 proof. very small buzz. wanna have a drinkin contest? ill bust out the 151 rum and we'll do shots... or have glasses of it.

forget the iced tea. most bars dont even mix it right. try a baycity bomber from my buddys bar. youll be out after 3, james.

back to the topic. i laid some bermuda sod over winter couple years ago and custome was bichin bout it bein brown and dead! told them its 35* out! of course its brown! they said they want green grass now and pointed at a fescue yard across street. (i asked when first contracted if they want fescue upgrade. they declined.) i was ready to shoot them. had to take em to court to get paid. i won to the surprise of no one!

TURFLORD
03-04-2006, 06:28 AM
The dumbest thing, huh. Let me single one out. One time a lady was driving down the street and claimed the mower kicked up a rock and broke the side window on her car. Unfortunately for her the catcher was on and I hadn't started to cut yet. The window was broken but it sure wasn't me. I asked her if I could look for the rock and she let me. I proceded to smear my sweaty, smelly, grass covered self all over the back seat.:hammerhead:

chuck bow
03-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Ya i had that said to me to about the stripes,( that i had missed every other pass,) i was tired and it kinda fried me and told her thats the sign of a pro and thats the difference between me and the other guy iam a pro

rodfather
03-04-2006, 08:13 AM
My favorite (which I have heard more than once) is "we're going away on vacation so the lawn won't need mowing". I'm like "hello, the grass doesn't stop growing just cause you're not around". :laugh:

Madstriper
03-04-2006, 08:23 AM
OK, this isnt lawn care oriented but,
I work at Home Depot(I know, dont laugh) and I am wearing a red shirt with a fairly large HD emblem on it, easily seen, also wearing the wonderful ORANGE HOME DEPOT apron, putting stock onto the shelves and a lady walks up, I say "Hello, may I help you" she asked "Do you work here" NOPE JUST LOOK GOOD IN ORANGE.................HERES YOUR SIGN!!!!!!!

ProMo
03-04-2006, 09:15 AM
I have had that one, the guy had alzheimers and would ask me every week why I was in his back yard.Also had a customer threaten to call the cops on me and chased me out of her yard after I had my long hair cut short.

chuck bow
03-04-2006, 09:20 AM
LIke that one Rod !!! duh heres your sign !!!! thats one of the better ones lol just mow when i get back > kinda had a older lady the same way , dont mow this week as its going to rain .................. it had only rained 4 inchs that week before she said that, i mean i guess grass wont grow when it rains

Paradise Landscapes
03-04-2006, 09:24 AM
:laugh: OK, this isnt lawn care oriented but,
I work at Home Depot(I know, dont laugh) and I am wearing a red shirt with a fairly large HD emblem on it, easily seen, also wearing the wonderful ORANGE HOME DEPOT apron, putting stock onto the shelves and a lady walks up, I say "Hello, may I help you" she asked "Do you work here" NOPE JUST LOOK GOOD IN ORANGE.................HERES YOUR SIGN!!!!!!!

HAHAHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

indy2tall
03-04-2006, 09:34 AM
My favorite (which I have heard more than once) is "we're going away on vacation so the lawn won't need mowing". I'm like "hello, the grass doesn't stop growing just cause you're not around". :laugh:

Hey Rod, could you find out how they do that? :confused: :confused: Making the grass stop growing would come in real handy in the spring rainy season! :laugh: :laugh::drinkup: :drinkup:

rodfather
03-04-2006, 09:37 AM
The worst part of all is these people are dead serious...beats the hell out of me :dizzy:

dlr1
03-04-2006, 10:03 AM
when I increased gas surcharge last year because of gas hike, lady said " what does gas price have to do with you?" I told her it takes gas to get to your house, gas in mowers, gas in trimmers, blowers, edger ,etc....

DLCS
03-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I had a customer last year tell me, at the end of July that her lawn wouldn't need mowing anymore this year. Cause of the drought. I asked her if she was sure that it wouldn't need mowing. She said, oh yeah, with this dry weather my lawn will not be growing anymore. So four weeks go by, mind you i'm still mowing here neighbors lawn the whole time. Grass gets to be close to 10 inches tall, she finally comes out and asks me to start mowing again.

indy2tall
03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
I had a customer last year tell me, at the end of July that her lawn wouldn't need mowing anymore this year. Cause of the drought. I asked her if she was sure that it wouldn't need mowing. She said, oh yeah, with this dry weather my lawn will not be growing anymore. So four weeks go by, mind you i'm still mowing here neighbors lawn the whole time. Grass gets to be close to 10 inches tall, she finally comes out and asks me to start mowing again.

Oh come on!!! Don't leave us hanging!!! What did you say to her? If you cut her again how much did the 10 inch grass cost her?

TURFLORD
03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I remembered a good one. Many years ago a customer didn't want to pay the bill for October. So off to court we go. We're standing before the judge ( I wouldn't accept the mediators recommendation ) and see says:"There was no need to cut the lawn, we had the grass PUT TO SLEEP." isyn.;) ;)

QualityLawnCare4u
03-04-2006, 11:13 AM
when I increased gas surcharge last year because of gas hike, lady said " what does gas price have to do with you?" I told her it takes gas to get to your house, gas in mowers, gas in trimmers, blowers, edger ,etc....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now that borders on downright stupidity! Like Rodfather says though, and its scary, these people are serious! They may be working in the ER if I have to go in and they come in all forms of life from dropouts to Drs.

sheshovel
03-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I'd say the dummist thing a cvust ever said to me is.....Goodmorning.

Precision
03-04-2006, 03:25 PM
putting gas in the truck with my lettering on it, 16ft trailer with a 60"ZTR, a 36" ZTR and a 21" 2 linetrimmers and edger and 2 blowers. "do you cut grass?"

Seeing all that equipment "do you mow in this area?"

My all time favorite was on a bid.

I went out and they wanted mow and blow. Just under a 1/4 acre. I told them $95 monthly. They looked at each other (husband and wife) then she said "we will pay you half that from now (April) to the end of June, then we will pay you $25 monthly in July and August."

I had to know the logic of that, so I asked why?

"oh we are on a fixed income so we can't afford $95 and we go to our home in NC in the summer, so we will be on vacation then and we know you won't mow it after you figure that out."

I took back my contract from her, ripped it in half.

"She asked oh so your gonna write it up that way?"

I replied, "no, I don't work for people who call me a liar and a cheat. Find yourself someone with no self respect. Lose my number and never under any circumstances call me again."

She got all flustered, then asked why I was so mad. I just walked away.

OutdoorExtras
03-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Here's the dumbest thing one of my customers has ever done.

My first ever account (A wealthy single lady about 40 or so) decided she was going to try cleaning up her leaves on her own. Next time I was over there she asked me if I could look at her new blower (A brand new Stihl backpack) as it was not starting. I looked at the gas tank and saw the fuel looked a bit dark. She had put the entire 16 oz bottle of 2 cycle in there (AND NO GAS:hammerhead: ) and was wondering why it would not start.:laugh:

stuie
03-04-2006, 04:13 PM
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

LawnMowerMan3875
03-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I have a customer, still to this day that when I started, I asked them if they wanted weekly or bi-weekly. they told me every other week or when needed....THEY CALL ME EVERY 7 DAYS TO COME AND MOW....DUH..GO FIGURE....

all ferris
03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
The best is when a dead beat customer calls and asks why I didn't mow their lawn today. I then have to explain to them that the way it works is when I send them a invoice they have 15 days to pay. No pay = no mow.

And how about the ones who ask if they need to be home when you're there to work OUTSIDE. I just tell them that unless they plan on weedwhackin for me I'll be fine if their not home.

I get this ? all the time too, "Do you trim?"

People call all the time and want me to give them an estimate over the phone?? WTF:hammerhead:

One lady literally hugged me and :cry: all while telling me she had to take her dog back to the breeder because she was unable to care for the dog. I didn't know I was such a comforting lawn guy.

lawnspecialties
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I had a customer call my house and ask my wife if I installed doors.:dizzy:

Signature Landscaping1
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Me and a buddy of mine were doing tree work in a nice wealthy neighborhood. we were working and this guy from next door came to us and asked us if we cut trees and chip them, i thought he was blind there was a chipper hooked up to the truck and we both had chainsaws in our hands. anyways he aasked us to come over to cut this oak( about 50ft) large in diameter, that was leaning against another tree. This guy lived in a 2million dollar house, he had 2 porshes in the drive and a bentley in the garage. He asked us how much the job will cost. we said $50, the guy said who do u think we are some kind of rich people with nice cars a nice house. he was pissed.

rodfather
03-04-2006, 07:02 PM
And how about the ones who ask if they need to be home when you're there to work OUTSIDE. I just tell them that unless they plan on weedwhackin for me I'll be fine if their not home.

oh I love those types, especially the one time customer...

Me: Mrs. Smith, I will be here one day next week to mulch all the beds.
Her: Do you know which day it might be Rod?

Me: Does it matter?
Her: Well it's just that I want to be here when you do it.

Me: Frankly Mrs. Smith, unless you were planning to help us, does it matter?
Her: No, I guess not.

Helloooooooooooooooooooo:laugh:

sheshovel
03-04-2006, 07:12 PM
OR..Do you know if you'll be coming to work on the landscaping on Sat?
Yes I am planning on continuing the work I have been doing all week on Sat why?
Well I was going to invite some freinds over and make a party out of it..well have lunch and drinks on the porch and watch you work..my freinds are very interested in what's been going on with our new landscaping.Would that be alright with you?
Me-Yeah..I guess as long as you guys stay outa my way and don't ask a bunch of questions~~~~

geogunn
03-04-2006, 08:05 PM

"MISTER GEO... would you mind using my push mower instead of that big one you brought with you?" that was a real knee slapper!

GEO :laugh:

MowerMoney
03-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I had an old lady complain to me last year "My lawns all full of bentgrass because you don't bag the clippings"
Huh?

Same lady complained that I wasn't trimming the grass in her raspberry patch.

Again the same lady (you remember the hot dry summer we had last year) told me her lawn was brown because my mower was too heavy.

Guess who is NOT my customer anymore?

zim bob the landscaper
03-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I had an old lady complain to me last year "My lawns all full of bentgrass because you don't bag the clippings"
Huh?

Again the same lady (you remember the hot dry summer we had last year) told me her lawn was brown because my mower was too heavy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: thats great.

Stafford Landscaping
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
The one that gets me was mowing an elderly man grass and his two daughters was paying me about 40.00 a week both lived out of town the one payed me the first year no Problem next year the other daughter took over paying then the problems started she said that she thought that I should only mow maybe 5 months out of a year then she wanted a contract price with everything included so I gave the price to her and she said it was to high. and wonderd if I could cut the grass each week for 40.00 to 50.00
A MONTH I thought I would LOSE IT but I remained calm and said that I couldn't do it for that so I cut the grass for about 2 more weeks and then she said stop so I did then the next week when I drove by I seen her father cutting the grass himself and I thought to myself what wonderfull kids he has.

PLS-Tx
03-04-2006, 11:59 PM
I have a customer that somehow, I've had for years. :confused: She has a 1 car garage and they have 2 cars, the 2nd car stay on the carport behind the garage. Almost every week without fail she comes out, and asks, "Do you want me to move the car?" :hammerhead:

I could do the lawn without the car being moved, but it's easier if it's out of the way. Why she has to ask eeeevery week I'll never know. :dizzy:

Same lady has said "you missed some grass" several times, when I haven't trimmed yet. :hammerhead:

Her husband has come out before at Christmas time and given me $5, and said,"Here buy something nice for your wife." :dancing:

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Her husband has come out before at Christmas time and given me $5, and said,"Here buy something nice for your wife." :dancing:

hes married to her. he knows what shes like!

sounds like a lot of you been mowing in my town. :laugh:

Brianslawn
03-05-2006, 12:11 AM
"MISTER GEO... would you mind using my push mower instead of that big one you brought with you?" that was a real knee slapper!

GEO :laugh:

but its only an acre!

hope you had a good winter, geo. :headphones: :waving:

WarEagleCRL
03-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Had one older couple I cut for a few years and EVERY time I cut it the first year the wife came out and said "Plese dont cut down my flowers!" as she pointed to all the flowers. I'd never cut one flower, but I was always pleasant and reassured her "Don't worry, I won't". One day, after months of this happening every week I started going to each and every flower in her yard yelling scientific names to her and told her to "go back inside I'm not gonna cut any damn flowers!" I dealt with the husband every time after that for the next two years, he thought it was hilarious! :laugh:

StBalor
03-05-2006, 02:46 AM
I was cutting a customers yard 1 time , when the nighbor came up and asked if i would cut hers. I told her yes and she said " she was going to the store and wanted to pay me before she left". I agreed. when i finished the 1 i was doing , I started hers. Not 2 minutes into the yard a man came out of the house waving his arms. I stopped and he said " you might not want to cut my grass after i tell you this. I said " ok, what?" He said " I'M F'ING CRAZY" he then went into this long story telling me he was a postal worker and use to write the president letters and how the secret service had to pull him out of work on a few occasions and made him see a couple shrinks. I told him " well i'll tell you what, your wife already paid me and if you stay in the house i'll finish" he said "good deal and walked back in the house.

this is a true story, i have more and will post them in diffrent replies.

StBalor
03-05-2006, 02:56 AM
I cut this elderly ladies yard when on more than 1 occasion i would see her follow her dog around with a plastic cup. I finally asked "Why do you follow your dog around with that cup?" She said "She did not like it when her dog pee'd on her lawn?
Now the dog was a poodle and probably about 10" tall and her cup was about 6"

Another elderly woman i use to work for, she has passed away. But we always use to bump heads. We just could not stand each other and would always argue. I told he finally that i had enough and could not work for her anymore. She hired another person to take care of her yard and about 3 weeks later called me begging me to come back. She said " I know we don't get along but i like the way you cut my grass please come back. I will never say anything to you again." I cut her grass for a few more years till she passed away and each time i cut the grass she would come to the door and tape a check to the door so we did not have to put up with each other.

These are true stories.

Paradise Landscapes
03-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Another elderly woman i use to work for, she has passed away. But we always use to bump heads. We just could not stand each other and would always argue. I told he finally that i had enough and could not work for her anymore. She hired another person to take care of her yard and about 3 weeks later called me begging me to come back. She said " I know we don't get along but i like the way you cut my grass please come back. I will never say anything to you again." I cut her grass for a few more years till she passed away and each time i cut the grass she would come to the door and tape a check to the door so we did not have to put up with each other.

If you don't mind me asking, how comw you both never got along?

garth1967
03-05-2006, 06:02 AM
i had one complain that there ARE stripes in the lawn! :hammerhead:

geez i thought i was alone ,i got a call today with same complaint,i honestly didnt know what to say. ...oh and there is is the usual idiots that ask why i dont work in the rain and if i can come in tomorrow[sunday]....morons:cry:

goodbeus
03-05-2006, 06:18 AM
This one is about a month ago...1 stop, 1 house, had it for a few years...well, we picked up the neighbor and cut it along with the original client at the same time...5,000 sq. ft. lawns each, had them both completed in 1 hour...used a lesco 54" z to cut with...the new client, an elderly woman, came out to give payment and stated, "I bet you're hot and tired." I had to restrain myself to keep from laughing...1st stop of the day and the temp was 60 deg....

nocutting
03-05-2006, 07:33 AM
A client told the judge that he didnt pay me cause he found a guy who was "Cheaper".........lol,lol,lol:usflag:

the scaper
03-05-2006, 07:46 AM
A couple years ago at the begining of fall season a lady called me and asked if I could "clean up her leaves and mow the lawn - she'd pay me when she gets back in town in four days". So I go clean up the leaves and mow the lawn, well she calls when she comes back four days later and says "you did a real good job mowing the lawn but you didn't get the leaves up" I'm like, hellooo- I actually had to explain to her that leaves were going to fall every day throughout the FALL and she would need several cleanups before the end of the year. lol!

yardmanlee
03-05-2006, 08:35 AM
How bout the one's that say cut it as low as you can so you won't have to cut it that often !!!!!! I say my mower only has one setting and cant be lowered if ya want it shorter you'll have to find someone else !!!!

Shawns Lawns
03-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I had a few:
Can you cut it down to the dirt so it will burn.
I cut half the lawn for you because i dont have any money to pay you.
Can you skip next week because the grass is not going to grow with all this rain.
Well why can't you cut it for $5 the last guy did.

JS Landscaping
03-05-2006, 09:43 AM
We had just pulled up at a clients house of ours, my guys had already jumped outa the truck and were taking the trimmers and mowers out getting ready to start the cutting. As they start, my client walks up to me, and asks "so are you guys going to mow my lawn today" Is three guys wearing my uniform buzzing around on mower and trimmers with my truck and trailer parked in front of thier house hard to notice? We have had other people come up to us at the gas stations asking if we do landscaping, i guess they dont see our lettered trucks and trailers with the company name JS LANDSCAPING, so I just hand them a brochure explaining all of our services. I think the dumbest thing ive ever heard a client say is, "can i have red mulch instead of brown or black? Heres your sign

James
JS LANDSCAPING

nmez21
03-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Out of good nature a man asked me if i would like to use his equip for his one acre yard instead of bringing my 52" mower - you know to save time- he said. His equipment- a 21" MTD push

firefightergw
03-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I was cutting a customers yard 1 time , when the nighbor came up and asked if i would cut hers. I told her yes and she said " she was going to the store and wanted to pay me before she left". I agreed. when i finished the 1 i was doing , I started hers. Not 2 minutes into the yard a man came out of the house waving his arms. I stopped and he said " you might not want to cut my grass after i tell you this. I said " ok, what?" He said " I'M F'ING CRAZY" he then went into this long story telling me he was a postal worker and use to write the president letters and how the secret service had to pull him out of work on a few occasions and made him see a couple shrinks. I told him " well i'll tell you what, your wife already paid me and if you stay in the house i'll finish" he said "good deal and walked back in the house.

My wife and I thought you did a good job, by the way.

StBalor
03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how comw you both never got along?

Brother, i tried, she always wanted to stop me while i was working, wanted me to check her mail, bring in her trash cans or just complain to me about the neighbors. I told her many of times if she wants to pay me 4,000 dollars a week i would quit all my other customers and only do her yard and she could stop me all she wanted.

StBalor
03-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Another story. A friend of a client of mine wanted her grass cut flower beds cleaned.so i stopped by and gave her an estimate. There was no way i could fit her in the next day but told her i would be back the day after. I went and did the work and the lady was not home. I left a bill and about a week later i get a call she wants me to come to her house and talk to her about the bill. I go and she says i told you i wanted the flower beds cleaned. I said yes, she said" well how come all those plants are still in there? I said lady, those are your flowers, She said "Oh, i wanted everything cleaned out of there" she then said " and look at my grass, it does not even look like it was cut" I said " i cut your grass a week ago, of course it's gonna grow since then.

StBalor
03-05-2006, 04:32 PM
My wife and I thought you did a good job, by the way.

Thank you.

WildLake
03-05-2006, 06:11 PM
It takes all I have not to laugh in their face when they tell me, " you can use my mower if you'll do it for $X", and they point to the 21" in the garage. Has happen twice. What is wrong with people.

d.tavernese
03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Are your blades sharp? This customer has got to be the grinch that stole Christmas, he got dumped!

Precision
03-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Are your blades sharp? This customer has got to be the grinch that stole Christmas, he got dumped!

You should have told him, "sharper than you buddy".

Brianslawn
03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
lots of funny stories here. thanks to all who have cotributed so far.

PLS-Tx
03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
This happened last week. I got a call for an estimate, I go by and the grass has already been cut and someone was out working in the yard. I'm thinking this is another idiot that calls then gets someone else to do the lawn and doesn't bother to call and let me know justs let me waste my time going out anyway.

The grass had been cut very low, and with a mower that had an uneven deck. They tell me they want me to recut the grass, and I say ummm NO. :hammerhead:

CAG
03-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I have one customer that will not let us blow off the driveway or walks because she does want the clipping back in the grass..Another PITA customer told me that her eyes were very bad today and she was having trouble seeing, then tells me the lawn looks terrible. Well at the time I was 21 and still kinda a smart as* so i asked her how do you know the grass does look good when you cant even see?? She was speechless..lol..I still cut her to this day and she always says the grass looks terrible.. One other customer told me its better to cut in circles then back and forth.

Brendan Smith
03-06-2006, 09:58 AM
This wekend one of my elderly customers asked me to cut back her blackberry bushes so she could reach the berries on top. Ok, grass isn't growing yet so I'll do it. It's like 65 degrees out but I have to wear two pairs of pants and two long sleeve shirts to keep from becoming a human pin cushion. She actually tells me "Don't take too long because I don't want to pay alot." I kind of like this lady although she can be a p.i.a. so okay, whatever. Two hours later I am finished, bleeding in multiple locations, and standing on her porch to collect the check. "How much do I owe you?" I tell her $60.00 and she literally takes a step back and looks shocked. Bear in mind last week she had a pecan tree removed from the back yard because it doesn't produce well anymore and said it cost her $750.00. She tells me, while i am bleeding on her porch, "I thought it would be about $25.00" Now I'm thinking "who the hell are you going to get to trim what is essentially a 12 foot high briar bed for less?" and have made up my mind that this is the last time I'll do anything extra for her. She goes inside to write the check and when she comes back out, I've made up my mind she's gone. She then gives me a check for $60.00 and says "I don't like to complain but they are still about 6" too tall, when will you come back and finish?" So I told her I'd be back next week but the next 6" would be $150.00. Needless to say, they were magically short enough then.

Precision
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
One other customer told me its better to cut in circles then back and forth.

so cut some "crop circles" in the yard and make them happy.

SamTheLawnMan
03-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I had a customer ask me one time what have I been putting on her lawn, but only on certain spots? I had her show me what she was talking about and she showed me some dead spots in the yard. I looked at the spots and realized she was talking about the spots where HER own dog takes a leak. I explained it to her and I had to convince her before she finally believed me. Crazy Lady anyways...... Took me like 15 minutes to convince her...LOL

work_it
03-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Customer, "You don't mind if there's a lot of dog poop in my yard, do you?"
Me, "Not if you don't mind me cleaning my boots on your welcome mat, washing the mowers off with your hose, and charging you an extra $15 each time."
Customer, "Oh, guess I better get out there and clean that crap up."

ProStreetCamaro
03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I had a lady come out and tell me that every time i mow there are stripes in her yard. I just sat there on my lazer and looked at her like she was crazy. After a minute of this she asked me "why are you looking at me like that" and I finally said "are you serious" and she said yes. So I pointed across the street to another lawn that somebody else does that also has nice stripes and explained that is how professionals cut because it looks good. She said she didnt like it and wanted me to cut in circles so there was no stripes and I told her I wouldnt do that because it makes us look bad (she was in a very high class neighborhood) and if thats the way she wanted it then she could get somebody else to do it. We asked for our money and she paid us what she owed and we simply never returned.

Wing 97
03-06-2006, 04:08 PM
On the verge of a dry spell, grass growing (slowly but still green) weeds thriving. Custumer says "Can you only cut the high spots". Looked at her, put my equipmnet back on the trailor, and never saw her again.

CAG
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I just remembered one more... Last fall a lady called me and bitc* me out because I didn't do her leaves and it was going to snow the next day..I didn't recall ever pricing her job and told her she was not on the clean up list. She said she use to be a secretary and has a habit of keeping records of all of phone calls and appointments..So I asked what day I was over and gave her a price.. She gets her book and reads off another company's name date and price so I tell her you are not talking to the right person..She then asks me if I could come and do them today(still rude as hel*)so i say no and then asked her if she retired from her job or was she fired and hung up on her!!

Premo Services
03-06-2006, 06:28 PM
After starting on a new customers fall cleanup, he comes out when I am into it for a couple hours and asked if I could stop doing the work and come back on friday and drop off my blower for him to finish the rest of the cleanup over the weekend and pick up the blower on monday.

I told him that I do not loan my equipment out, but he could rent it from me for 500.00 for the weekend if he would like.
He looked kind of embarresed and declined and let me come back and finish the job for him, The way it should have been.

dlr1
03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I had one lady ask me if I would clean & dust her house once a week:nono:

Birdjr
03-06-2006, 07:35 PM
i gave an estimate for a mowing contract and the guy saw he was bein charged for a fall clean up and told me this one "my old landscaper never charged me for a fall clean up they did it for free" lolol i told him to cal his old landscaper back

Sir mowsalot
03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
I have one customer that will not let us blow off the driveway or walks because she does want the clipping back in the grass..Another PITA customer told me that her eyes were very bad today and she was having trouble seeing, then tells me the lawn looks terrible. Well at the time I was 21 and still kinda a smart as* so i asked her how do you know the grass does look good when you cant even see?? She was speechless..lol..I still cut her to this day and she always says the grass looks terrible.. One other customer told me its better to cut in circles then back and forth.

Where do these friggin people come from?LOL. I know all to well what your saying.

zim bob the landscaper
03-06-2006, 08:29 PM
lol what does these people expect from us.

Brianslawn
03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Where do these friggin people come from?LOL. I know all to well what your saying.

i swear this area produces more pitas than anywhere else. lots of these stories i have been through. one always had to insist on using a push mower on her small yard but none of my guys could ever make it look good with the push mower. i tell her ill mow it myself. i used the walker on it instead while she watched and then asked her if she wanted me to keep mowing it. she decided as long as i did it, a push mower wasnt necessary. she also quit asking for a broom to be used on walks instead of blower. i told her i dont know how to use a broom. :hammerhead:

Brianslawn
03-06-2006, 08:33 PM

i would say, "i would love too. what credit card should i charge that $100 an hour to, ma'am?"

sheshovel
03-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Back when I did maintenance..I was at a clients house..a million dollar home at the lake..I had just finished replacing a bunch of old shrubs for some really nice beutifull Rhodies and other pretty stuff.It was hot out and I was standing on the front walkway
cooling myself off with the hose and a wet bandanna
and the front door opens and the Man of the house yells out reall loud.."I just had to stop and tell you you are the most beutifull sexy gardner I have ever had in my LIFE and espesially when your all messy like that!"
then he slams the door!
True story!

sheshovel
03-06-2006, 09:51 PM
It really cracked me up!

garth1967
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM

in the nude,right?

ProStreetCamaro
03-06-2006, 11:40 PM
in the nude,right?

I had a customer and her daughter sun bathe while I worked in the nude next to there pool. The daughter had a thing for me. She would come out every time I got there and sun bathe and out of the corner of my eye i noticed she was watching me every week. She use to try and talk to me and I would say hi and thats about it. At that time I was engaged or else I would have been all over it. God was she smokeing hot!

work_it
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
I had a customer and her daughter sun bathe while I worked in the nude next to there pool. Dude...I would never work in the nude. :nono: :nono: :nono: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Come home at the end of the day with parts missing or covered in poison oak/ivy.:cry: :cry: :cry:

NIXRAY
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Long Story Short... Doin; A Fall Clean-up @ A Multi-unit Complex
I Was Wearing One Of The Echo Bp Blowers And We Had A Lot Of Leaves. So Anyway I'd Been Going For About An Hour And A Half And All Of A Sudden I Get A Tap On The Shoulder (shure Did Wake Me Up!!)
And This Older Lady Yells At Me For The Noise (keep In Mind It's 3:30 Pm) Now Don't Get Me Wrong I'd Usally Would Stop And Move To The Next Area Then Come Back, But The Prop. Owner Was Watching Our Every Move(hate That). So I Tell The Lady, "oh, Dear I'm So Sorry My Company Did Not Get The Blower With That Mute Mode". Enough Said

ProStreetCamaro
03-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Dude...I would never work in the nude. :nono: :nono: :nono: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Come home at the end of the day with parts missing or covered in poison oak/ivy.:cry: :cry: :cry:

OMG hahahahahaha jesus can ya tell i am tired? :laugh:

They were in the nude while I was working!!!!!!! :usflag:

Brianslawn
03-07-2006, 01:27 AM
OMG hahahahahaha jesus can ya tell i am tired? :laugh:

They were in the nude while I was working!!!!!!! :usflag:

yeah right! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: pool boy! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

StBalor
03-07-2006, 01:58 AM
I would have sent my girlfriend to do it. Then collected half the money my girlfriend made off the job.

StBalor
03-07-2006, 02:03 AM
In the dry season, when a customer says " Are you only gonna charge me half price since the grass did not grow as much?"
I tell them i am still doing the same amount of walking.

StBalor
03-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Something that happened to me along time ago. I had forgotten all about this till a read a similar post elsewhere. I had to lawns side by side. both were elderly women. I go to cut 1 of the lawns and 1 of the ladies ask if i would just cut the front and only charge her half price. I was just starting out and i told her ok. the next week she only wanted the back cut and now the neighbor wanted in on this deal. i did it, but thought about it all that day. the next time, they both just want their fronts cut. It did not take me long to figure out this was gonna start happening every week. i told them i did it once to help them out with any money shortages they might of had. But from now on it would be full price no matter if i cut the front yard or just the back. I explained to them i count on this money to feed and take care of my family and if they could not afford it then they should try to get a family member to do it for them.
Never again, same price for partial or full cut.

Sir mowsalot
03-07-2006, 07:07 AM
yeah right! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: pool boy! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yea, i was thinking the same thing. Time for my hip waders, cause its gettin deep. lol

dlr1
03-07-2006, 08:37 AM
most of these people think we only do this for a little extra cash, some beer money:drinkup:

McClain
03-07-2006, 09:04 AM
home and started to take off my uniform when I started reading ALL of your post, well I got as far as undoing my gun belt and I'm still in uniform and can not see for the tears in my eyes from laughing so dam hard. You all put up with the sh%t also I see just on a different level.......Thanks for the laughs
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tvov
03-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, I think I have just about run into every single one of these situations. The "nude customer sunbathing" for my company was a little different. Fortunately, it did NOT involve me.

We pull up to this house on our usual day, at virtually the exact same time in the morning that we always do. The house is down in the woods, we park on the street. One of my guys grabs a walkbehind and goes down the driveway. It is running. He starts on the backyard, which means he engages the blades by the garage and goes around the corner into the backyard. Lo and behold, the customer is nude and sunbathing (may have been sleeping) on a lawn chair, leaps up and runs into the house. Well, the one downside is the customer is a 79 year old guy....

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Yea, i was thinking the same thing. Time for my hip waders, cause its gettin deep. lol

I am not kidding about it. I think they are (what do they call them?) Exhabitionist or voyers? They paid no attention to me other than the daughter was always watching me. She was about 23ish I would say and her mom in her middle 40's and both were smoking hot. :cool2:

ProStreetCamaro
03-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, I think I have just about run into every single one of these situations. The "nude customer sunbathing" for my company was a little different. Fortunately, it did NOT involve me.

We pull up to this house on our usual day, at virtually the exact same time in the morning that we always do. The house is down in the woods, we park on the street. One of my guys grabs a walkbehind and goes down the driveway. It is running. He starts on the backyard, which means he engages the blades by the garage and goes around the corner into the backyard. Lo and behold, the customer is nude and sunbathing (may have been sleeping) on a lawn chair, leaps up and runs into the house. Well, the one downside is the customer is a 79 year old guy....

:laugh: Now thats funny!

Brianslawn
03-07-2006, 12:36 PM
:laugh: Now thats funny!

ditto! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yardmanlee
03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Has you're helper recovered from that one yet ????

I did have a relator that would walk around in her house w/ nothing but
a bra and panties on and blinds all the way up and would always answer
the door that way but behind it being all innocent !!!!!!

lawncuttinfoo
03-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Commercial prop manager walks up to me 30 min into the job and says "what are you doing? It's September, you are only authorized for two cuts in september since it does not rain as much after august" (meanwhile the water from his sprinkler system is still drying off the grass he is standing on).

"And what is this? "(points to grass clippings on the service driveway I am working near) "You are only allowed to bag or mulch" ( I mention the mower has mulching blades on) Well are you going to clean this up? ( I motion to the pb-650 sitting on the truck and ask him if we have ever left a mess before) He doesn't answer just turns his back and gets into his SUV and backs out of the service driveway.

S man
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
omg that reminds me i had a cust that i was cutting for th first time , well when i finished cuttin i went back to trim and she was complaining about the grass that was uncut ..... i said " hey lady i still have to trim those spots.the clinker was she saw me trimming...what an idiot....

They must be nervous and on pills.

billsfanvt
03-10-2006, 01:13 PM
A lady once yelled at me because there was stripes in her lawn and did't know why they were there or where they came from.

An equally stupid guy once complained that I was going way to fast on the Z and that was why every single dandilion was not cut. But This guys lawn was the bumpiest lawn I have ever been on and if I went above a crawl, make back would hurt so much that I would yell and swear over the mower. That guy sucks.:hammerhead:

Brianslawn
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
i got a new one from today. a lady called up from bella vista (land of the pitas) an asked me to come do some work in her yard. i told her $100 over the phone. she said why should i pay you a $100 to work in my yard when there are so many people around town that will rush out here and do it for free? i hung up on the b!ch.

Brianslawn
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM
i had another one say, they'll hire me at $8 an hour!

dcplace2004
03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
property for 25 dollars...and another wanted me to pick up 30 huge bags of leaves and other debris for 24 dollars...another wanted a medium sized front and back yard cut for 13 a week...and let me tell you, there are some people in town that will work for these prices, but I said "you are kidding me, right?"...I only say that to dumbazz customers...and do you know why there are dumbazz customers?...it is because of the lowballers with the idiotic business sense of a mouse...people think we have a magic wand that we wave to make debris from cleanups disappear....they think there are no dump fees, no travel expenses, no fuel costs, no equipment costs...they think we teleport ourselves and our vehicles to the dumpsite like on star trek...people have to be educated on this stuff and I let them know real quick what the costs are to the very last cent on the estimates...if they don't like it, they can find some moron to do the work...I had some meatheaded lady get on my nerves until I finally told her that she could go find someone else to do her leaf cleanup...she never called back and I was so happy cause she was a major PITA bread...so for all you lowballers out there...go somewhere else and ruin the current market value...

sheshovel
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I hate that when they sneak up behind you and scare the crap out of you then ask.."What are you doing?"
I'm working wtf you think I am doing?

Brianslawn
03-10-2006, 08:07 PM
believe it or not, i once had one lady ask me if i was one of those stupid sburcs that work for free!

sheshovel
03-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Then there was the time that I was doing maint on a yard...same man I told you about before..made million dollar deals over the phone selling computer parts all day had his own biz..had graduated Virginia Military Academy years back..anyway a very intelligent man.
.except when it came to very simple things..anyway I am watching him and he is in his Jeep and messing around with the rear view mirror that was hanging down and swinging around by it's cord..in there about a 1/2 and hour when I finally went over and opened the passenger door and asked him what thew prob was
."Oh this stupid rear view mirror fell down and I can't figure out how to unhook it cuz I want to reglue it"I have driven the past 200mi with it like this !"So I smile and reach up and unclip the plastic connector and the mirror falls to the floor.
You should have seen the look on the guys face..it was priceless!After that he thought I was a god or something and called me for every little thing his wife wanted him to do while she was on a trip.
.including one time calling me to come and change the fluorescent tube lights in his entryway because they were in a big fight at that moment cuz he couldent do it and kept breaking the bulbs all over the place,they both said
"Man are we glad to see you!"Saturday call emergency..they gladly handed me 75.00 for changing 4 bulbs for them.
i COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THAT COUPLE..i HAVE ALL KINDS OF STOOOPID CUSTOMER STORIES ABOUT THOSE TWO.Damb caps loc!I have even probaably told this one before

QualityLawnCare4u
03-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Then there was the time that I was doing maint on a yard...same man I told you about before..made million dollar deals over the phone selling computer parts all day had his own biz..had graduated Virginia Military Academy years back..anyway a very intelligent man.
.except when it came to very simple things..anyway I am watching him and he is in his Jeep and messing around with the rear view mirror that was hanging down and swinging around by it's cord..in there about a 1/2 and hour when I finally went over and opened the passenger door and asked him what thew prob was
."Oh this stupid rear view mirror fell down and I can't figure out how to unhook it cuz I want to reglue it"I have driven the past 200mi with it like this !"So I smile and reach up and unclip the plastic connector and the mirror falls to the floor.
You should have seen the look on the guys face..it was priceless!After that he thought I was a god or something and called me for every little thing his wife wanted him to do while she was on a trip.
.including one time calling me to come and change the fluorescent tube lights in his entryway because they were in a big fight at that moment cuz he couldent do it and kept breaking the bulbs all over the place,they both said
"Man are we glad to see you!"Saturday call emergency..they gladly handed me 75.00 for changing 4 bulbs for them.
i COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THAT COUPLE..i HAVE ALL KINDS OF STOOOPID CUSTOMER STORIES ABOUT THOSE TWO.Damb caps loc!I have even probaably told this one before

Hey, I like these kind of "stupid" customers that dont mind paying for being a dummy.

clc2003
03-11-2006, 03:02 AM
I had an elderly lady who was paying me 20 per cut. After about a month of cutting her yard she told me she thought 20 was to much cause it only took me 15 minutes. She then went on to tell me that it took her grandson 45 min to mow the yard. I said oh, how much did you pay him? She says, 20 bucks.

ICE
03-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Me and a buddy of mine were doing tree work in a nice wealthy neighborhood. we were working and this guy from next door came to us and asked us if we cut trees and chip them, i thought he was blind there was a chipper hooked up to the truck and we both had chainsaws in our hands. anyways he aasked us to come over to cut this oak( about 50ft) large in diameter, that was leaning against another tree. This guy lived in a 2million dollar house, he had 2 porshes in the drive and a bentley in the garage. He asked us how much the job will cost. we said $50, the guy said who do u think we are some kind of rich people with nice cars a nice house. he was pissed.

HAHAHAHA That one is great!! LMAO

shea
03-11-2006, 11:02 AM
There have been so many...but one that stands out is when I quoted a landscape price to a customer he replied "I CAN do it cheaper than that!". Ya think?

chriscraft
03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
IVe had up to 1/2 dozen customers ask me in 1 day after i drive up get out and say Hi Glenn want a beer? I look at them look at my truck and say i just got out of a commercialvehicle driving on a 90 degree day (driving mind you ) and expalin thats not in my best interests or my employees to drink and drive so they say take it with you . I dunno i just dont get it, Guess they arent uses to a legit comp.

sheshovel
03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
That's there little way of bonding with you,or trying to

sheshovel
03-12-2006, 07:12 PM
OK another time same customer I walk by the garage and the guy..his name was Tom..was prying on the bottom of his garage door with one of my good shovels out of my truck.I say"What are you doing with my good shovel there Tom?..Well shoot I lockrd myself out of the garage and left my keys in the Jeep and I gotta get in there!..(in a major panic)
So I say not by bending up your expensive garage door and takin the edge off my good shovel you arent now stop that right now!
So I know a secret about the window in his garage is actually a sliding glass door set in sideways.So I remove the rubber around the glass and remove the sheet of glass and he is like"How did you learn how to do stuff like this?'"That's none of your business now$50.00 please!Well that's less than a locsmith would have cost me!Your my hero!Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!I do sure miss him bad

mike lane lawn care
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I had a lady ask me to cut her lawn before she was scheduled because of a party. so i siad OK when do you need it cut, she says "this morning(tuesday) I have a party on thursday". her regularly scheduled day was wendsday

garth1967
03-12-2006, 11:04 PM
i had another one say, they'll hire me at $8 an hour!

i would have told her thats an offer i cant refuse and i will be there as soon as i finish watching oprah :hammerhead:

tcls83
03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
-A lady never wanted trimming done because she thought I would knock down her flowers (and she only has like 5 of them in her yard). So I just cut the lawn, and don't trim it. After every 2 months when the edges of her lawn are a foot high and you can't even see the flowers anymore (looks really nasty), she asks me to trim it. "Just don't knock down the flowers" she says. I trim it, don't knock down the flowers, and charge $60 to do it. Happens every 2 months, same thing over and over again.

She also put this huge pallet in this massive hole in the ground because "she wanted me to see the hole".

And, when I first quoted this client, she insisted that this lawn will take an hour and a half to cut, when it really only took me 20-30 min to cut. So, I have been cutting it for $60 ever since.

-I gave a regular mowing customer (old guy in charge of a church) a price for doing a fall cleanup at his church. Leaves everywhere. A day's project. $460 I told him. He says "Are you out of your mind? Cant you just do it for $65?" (price I normally mow it for) I tell him no, but he still hires me for the grass every year.

-Oh yeah, I get the "Do you cut grass" all the time from people when I'm at the gas station.

-At another house, I have a lady who comes outside and lets her kids play in the yard once I start cutting there. They all run around me and everything. I immediately stop, and tell the kids to go play somewhere else. They do.

-I am trimming shrubs at this old lady's house one time. Once the trimmer runs out of gas, she comes out when I am refueling the trimmer at the truck and I am not even halfway finished yet, and she goes in a nasty voice "Hey! HEYY! LOOK! You missed a bunch of shrubs over there!" I just say "Well, I obviously didn't finish the job yet." I've had similar situations to this one happen quite a bit actually.

-And people always ask me whenever they have thick brush they want cut down (a lot of times in a rocky area), they always ask "Can't you just run it over with your mower?"

tcls83
03-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Huh?

:laugh: This one's one of my favorites. I've had plenty of those ladies before.:laugh:

Bill Davis
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I had a customes come out and ask me to throw a dead possum in his neighbors yard! This same guy asked me if I was properly trained to operate my unit. He was talking about my exmark. I was tired and it was late friday so i looked at the hour meter and told him I only had 843 hours of training so he better watch out because I might lose control. What an idiot. Hes long gone now thankfully.

Brianslawn
05-09-2006, 11:01 PM
ok. time to bring this thread back. lets here some new stories.

i had one today. i planted a bunch of plants and trees this past spring for a guy. after i got done we had the little tornado incident as some of you may recal me posting about. the path of the tornado was directly through his property. all of his fence destroyed. lots of building damage. some of the new plants and trees were broke or uprooted.... though most survived unharmed. he asked me for damage estimate for his insurance. i told him $1500 to replace damage plants and trees and cleanup yard debris and storm damage. today he calls up and claims his insurance aint covering tornado damage to the landscaping.... so hes holding me responsible and says hes thinking of getting a lawyer and suing me. i guess the crazy old man thinks i had something to do with the tornado to scam him out of more money.

i told the stooopid bstrd aint my problem he forgot to get enough insurance. :hammerhead:

dcgreenspro
05-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Round 1. lady calls and asks me to take a look at her yard. "there's a problem" she says. I get there. half the yard is piss yellow. I ask if she sprayed round up. "No" she replies. Show me the bottle. here it is Round-up.

Round 2. Tell her she can live with it till the fall and we can aerify/reseed. she tells me that she doesn't want her lawn to look like s**t all year and could i put down sod. I turn and look at the rest of the yard. It is all dirt from heavy construction. So i ask if she wants it all sodded, "no, the rest of the yard doesn't matter". Ok. She asks if there is anyway to knock down the price for 200 sq.ft. of sod. I tell her to pick it up and i will lay it down. Get there today strip all dead grass out. Can't find sod. looking.looking. only see a mass underneath black trashbags. yep, you guessed it, she cooked the sod. left a voice message saying cll me when she gets new sod. i hope i never hear that phone call.

topsites
05-09-2006, 11:48 PM
It's been a couple of years but I was giving this estimate to some lady, and at the time I didn't know what to do with moss other than lime but nevermind, she had the solution: She was spraying round-up on all the moss, which happened to be in her turf.

Not that I knew what I know today, but I did know Round-up does not kill moss and I also knew the last thing you want to do with Round-up is spray it anywhere it comes in contact with live plants... Round-up is not a weed control I told her, it is a Total Vegetation killer, and moss is a fungus.

I had to leave that discussion alone because I could see the argument coming. Little frustrates me more than someone who is dead wrong, but willing to get all up in my face, argument-ready... I was so tempted to let just one more word come out of my mouth, you know that one word that will make them blow up, and the very second they do - POP'em one in the mouth.

But so be it, I know when to shut up and the conversation turned to restoring the lawn. We discussed aeration and seeding and blablabla and I quoted her a price for all that, and she said 'that much for just this little backyard plot of grass?' I said no, that's front and back... To which she replied she only wanted the back done because she was hiring a professional to do the front.

I thanked her for her time, and left.

Something D
05-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I have to say that I read this thread at 5am this morning logged off for a while and I still have not stopped laughing. I might have to print this off and hang in my office. Whenever I am having a bad day I can just refer back to it. It's amazing how some people are. You often wonder how they made it through life!!!!

Keep em coming guys.

alot2lurn
07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm a little late on this post and this didnt happen to me mowing but its pretty funny.I work for a municipality full time and mow part time.Anyway the town I work in has gone through some water shortages due to drought conditions.It's also had problems with water thefts ( tank trucks pulling up to hydrants and helping themselves to several thousand gallons of water).Well we have a vac-con truck that has the towns name emblems and placards on it were in uniform and wearing safety vests with the towns name on the back.On two seperate occasions we've had the police called on us for water theft while filling it up. (the cops whom we knew thought it was more funny than we did )

S man
07-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Me, "Not if you don't mind me cleaning my boots on your welcome mat, washing the mowers off with your hose, and charging you an extra $15 each time."

That is the funniest thing that I heard all night.:clapping:

WJW Lawn
07-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Dumbest thing...hmmmm...here we go--"I stuck the check in the dryer vent, but if it's not there then the cat must have gotten it"

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Dumbest thing...hmmmm...here we go--"I stuck the check in the dryer vent, but if it's not there then the cat must have gotten it"

"Great, then have the cat mail it in or write us a new one"

S man
07-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I was walking to some jobs when an indian from india came waving her arms for me to come over and talk to her. So I stop and figure she wants her grass cut, and she asks how much to cut it..... That lawn was sooooo high and needed egding and trimming really bad. It was a corner lot and had a lot of grass and sidewalks. Well the husband comes out and I talk to him and he asks me also and without hesitation I easily said $100 even though it could of been more. And he freaks out! No! Do it for fifty! I said excuse me? And he goes on how the last guy did it for 35 each time and blah blah. I said well this is the first time and is going to be $100. And he stuck to his guns and said fifty. Well I said I'll pass it on to annother grass cutter I knew and walked off with a smile on my face from his reaction. I'm really not fond of new hard jobs anyway and have too many right now. I told my friend who cuts and he could not get anything more than fifty too so he didn't cut it either. I smile and laugh when I pass by because they probably had a lowballer who did it before.

Lar
07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=738903906620474042&q=uhf

mjohnson1
07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
first i would try a forum besides "Stooopid Customers"

lawnspecialties
07-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Good one:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Brianslawn
07-16-2006, 10:06 PM

haha. yeah my next thread will have to be "stooopid lawn boys!"

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=texaslawn]I'm new to this site, and to the business. I'm trying to find out some information if ya'll don't mind.
1) how do you all price yard's
2) what about small business loans? good idea or not?
3) what commercial equipment is the best for the money?

Thank you,QUOTE/]

Where'd they get this one from?:hammerhead:

mulcahy mowing
07-16-2006, 11:14 PM
"you didn't pull those weeds"

ummmm mam those are flowers you planted last week......:dizzy: :dizzy:

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I stopped and he said " you might not want to cut my grass after i tell you this. I said " ok, what?" He said " I'M F'ING CRAZY" he then went into this long story telling me he was a postal worker and use to write the president letters and how the secret service had to pull him out of work on a few occasions and made him see a couple shrinks. I told him " well i'll tell you what, your wife already paid me and if you stay in the house i'll finish" he said "good deal and walked back in the house.

LMFAO!!!! This is a great thread. I got some stories...but I gotta read the rest....

6'7 330
07-17-2006, 11:39 PM
haha. yeah my next thread will have to be "stooopid lawn boys!"

Autobiographical thread huh.

fiveoboy01
07-17-2006, 11:48 PM
This wasn't a customer, but the gas station attendent this morning.

"Got the mowers filled up, I see"

ME-Yep

Attendent - "It's going to be a hot one, you working outside today?"

ME-Stunned silence...

Brianslawn
07-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Autobiographical thread huh.

do you have any more computer ???s for me to assist you with, bill?

TNT Lawncare
07-18-2006, 12:10 AM
FIVEOBOY........Here's your sign.

Sandgropher
07-18-2006, 12:30 AM

ME-Yep

ME-Stunned silence...

Your have gotta love mowing on those indoor bowling greens when its to hot to work out side.:laugh: :laugh:

Brendan Smith
07-18-2006, 09:34 AM

ME-Yep

ME-Stunned silence...
roflmfao :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

S man
07-22-2006, 01:13 AM
And people always ask me whenever they have thick brush they want cut down (a lot of times in a rocky area), they always ask "Can't you just run it over with your mower?"

I love that one. Tell them yeah and you can buy me a new commercial ztr or w/b.

S man
07-22-2006, 01:19 AM
These are not customers, but when I stop and talk to people they ask what mower I have and I say a toro commercial. And they think it's the one from home depot and is expensive at 350 or something and when I tell them no it's from a dealer and cost close to 1200 they freak out. Two responses was a guy who said "mother f...er!"

an old lady I cut said "It won't last any longer than a regular mower and that I could have bought a rider for that much".

Brianslawn
07-25-2006, 10:47 PM
did an irrigation repair today. system wasnt turning on and they couldnt figure out why. i get there, go in garage, look at control box, see its unplug, plug it in. hand them an invoice for $50 and say nice corvette.

Liquidfast
07-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Different stories, same customer.

First day. "You cut it too low with the weed whacker"

Next week. "You didn't cut it low enough with the weed whacker"

Next week. "I would appreciate it if you only weed whacked it every other week.

Next week. "I would rather see high grass than no grass at all"

Next week. "Can you please kill my weeds with Killex, I bought it, don't dilute it, I want them GONE" --- With pleasure, I didnt dilute and went hog wild. Believe me, that Killex DOES kill grass in the super concentrate form.

Next week. "Sign on the yard --Landscapers, do not cut this week, I sprayed the weeds" NO PHONE CALL - NOTHING.

Two days later voicemail "Can you cut it higher next week"

Next day: Can you come today...I tried calling you but I didnt get an answer...Me: No, see you next scheduled visit. Him: Too bad you can't come today. Me: You should've called me to cancel.

Today: Him: you didn't come today. Me: I had to cancel your visits for the remainder of the year. Him: Why? Me: Who cares...

S man
07-26-2006, 12:18 AM
One guy asked me why I have gas powererd trimmers and blowers saying that I should use their electricity and save money. And that I shouldn't get a truck for a while because insurance is high and that I should get a three wheeler bicycle. LMAO!

battags
07-26-2006, 01:37 AM
I started mowing and fert for a Professor at a local university. He is a PhD. and is in charge of the Liquid Crystal Institue. Pretty much the smartest man in the world when it comes to LC research.

I start his fert program and place the treatment flag at then end of his driveway. He calls that evening and is concerned that it will contaminate his well water. When I said that the fert would only effect the top few inches of soil and that his well was probably 100 feet or more, he couldn't believe it. Not the effect of the fert, but that his well was 100 feet. He was sure it was only 10 or so......

S man
08-01-2006, 09:29 PM
We should write a book called "how to be a good customer to your lco for dummies."

justanotherlawnguy
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
when they call and ask if I cut grass....

Frontier-Lawn
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
while your here doing my neighbors house can you do mine for a extra $10 ;)
:nono: its would be $40 reg service price. if its a 1 time cut its going to be $50
:confused: but your all ready here........

:hammerhead: :walking:

Frontier-Lawn
08-01-2006, 11:00 PM
this is the most funny one i have had.
i pull in to get gas while filling up the truck a guy ask if thats a deere. i say yes its a 2005.

how can that be they went out of buissnes in the 80's mtd bought them out and then closed the deere part the next year.

i just :laugh: and drove away

Rhinox29
08-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Elderly lady ask how I can mow without a steering wheel on my ZTR. Thought I was Handicap and this was a special made unit for me.;)

kbrashears
08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
My neighbor has had me take care of his yard for the past two years. It was in terrible shape. Weeds everywhere, sparse bermuda/zoysia/fescue (very common here and I call them Zermudacue lawns). I put him on my seven step chemical application. I even drug hoses around on his yard when I'd get home. Irrigating the crap out of the lawn. After 18 months, I've got this yard pretty healthy. Doesn't even look like the same yard. The only weak areas are just the spots I haven't chased the Bermuda into. Yet. Anyway, it is 1000x better now than it has ever been. He gets about a 50% discount on the mowing and chemical applications (two acre yard 50 for the mow; 100 for the chemicals). The yard has become my baby.

Twoweeks ago, he fires up his 36' Craftsman slant mower (slant becuase it cuts on an unlevel angle with right to left slant in grass height). He proceeds to make one pass around the house. I've been mowing this thing every 7-10 days at 3.75 on my eXmark. He mows it at about 1.5.

The question: "Can you fix this before this weekend?" It was Thursday.

The answer: "Yeah, but it won't be pretty and it'll cost you."

So I proceed to do what anyone else with half a brain would do. I cut it down to about 2.75 (Yeah, probably a bit low, but what are you going to do?) Cut it every 4 days. Here we are, two weeks later. Of course, his strip is just now catching up to the new height, so back up we go.

Today, new question: "Why did you charge me so much?" ( I charged him a measly 200.00 for 3 mowings and a 2 acre 'bag fee' where I had to drag out the old JD and bag the clippings (it mounted into a mountain of grass that took me four hours to collect on two trailerloads).

Today answer: "How much longer do you want to be my neighbor?"

He laughed.

And gave me four hundred.

Lawntime Mowers
08-02-2006, 12:34 AM
I had a new customer call a few weeks ago. (Older lady) She tore my wife a new A-Hole.
yelling at the TOP of her lungs:

"WHY THE HELL DID YOU MOW MY LAWN!!!"
"YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO MOW THE DAMN THING EVER OTHER WEEK!!!"
"I'M NOT PAYING A DAMN DIME!!!"
"YOU TELL HIM TO CALL ME.....I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL HE THINKS HE"S DOING!!!"

My wife asked me what's going on, and why did I cut her lawn?

mmmmmmmmm................ahhhhhhhhhh....................I didn't????

I was in the neighborhood and drove past her house and waved at her middle aged son.

I don't know why but my wife insisted on returning her call.

Got another out of control call from her this week bitching about something else.
Kicking her to the curb next week.

walker/redmax
08-02-2006, 01:24 AM
One time I was cutting this guys grass and he comes home at about two in the afternoon COMPLETELY DRUNK! I don't know if I've ever seen anybody this loaded in my life. He might have even been doing more than drinking. So he pulls up on the curb and at about 20mph tears apart the side of his car on a fire hydrant. He gets out of the car and comes stumbling over to me and says "yous scrashtched my car you fu#%$r" I thought he was joking so I laughed. But then when I saw that this was no joke so I pointed out the fire hydrant. :laugh:

Brianslawn
08-02-2006, 01:34 AM
One time I was cutting this guys grass and he comes home at about two in the afternoon COMPLETELY DRUNK! I don't know if I've ever seen anybody this loaded in my life. He might have even been doing more than drinking. So he pulls up on the curb and at about 20mph tears apart the side of his car on a fire hydrant. He gets out of the car and comes stumbling over to me and says "yous scrashtched my car you fu#%$r" I thought he was joking so I laughed. But then when I saw that this was no joke so I pointed out the fire hydrant. :laugh:

"yous... donch be pointin at mes chewbaca..... or he'll beach yous up for scrachin mes car yous fu#%$r."

walker/redmax
08-02-2006, 01:44 AM
I was so shocked! For the rest of the day, I kept expecting someone to pop out and say "You just got Punked!" It is like, do you ever have an experience that is so ridiculously unbelievable that you honestly wonder if you are dreaming or hallucinating?

Brianslawn
08-02-2006, 01:54 AM
I was so shocked! For the rest of the day, I kept expecting someone to pop out and say "You just got Punked!" It is like, do you ever have an experience that is so ridiculously unbelievable that you honestly wonder if you are dreaming or hallucinating?

every day here in arkansas.

S man
08-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Too much candid camera. :rolleyes:

Joe65
08-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Elderly lady ask how I can mow without a steering wheel on my ZTR. Thought I was Handicap and this was a special made unit for me.;)

:laugh: :dizzy: :laugh:

S man
08-07-2006, 11:41 PM

I love that one. :)

How about the "cut it as low as it can go" yeah and tear into the roots of your thick st. aug?

caslong
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
In the dry season, when a customer says " Are you only gonna charge me half price since the grass did not grow as much?"
I tell them i am still doing the same amount of walking.

I had a customer ask me the same thing once. I replied,"When the movie theaters start charging, a one eyed man half price to watch a movie, then I would do the same."

stumpslawncare
03-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Had a customer complain that I wasn't mowing the weeds in their stone driveway. Last time I checked I wasn't in the rock mowing business.

MuleCutter
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
It takes all I have not to laugh in their face when they tell me, " you can use my mower if you'll do it for $X", and they point to the 21" in the garage. Has happen twice. What is wrong with people.

lol... i have a customer that makes me use her 20 inch murray... she buys the gas and all but it only takes me 20-30 minutes to trim cut and blow depending on leaves. it's actually one of my favorite yards to do.

MuleCutter
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
i , along with a friend of mine that has a lawn service also, do some apartment complexes. the owner of the apartments is a slow payer... one day after almost a month i call him to ask about my payment for the previous month's work... this call was made on about a wednesday... he said... "yes i cut the check on friday but i havent mailed it out yet.. do you need it?".... NO YOU DUMB $HIT... my 6 foot tall 275 lb a$$ does this work for exercise!!!!! i didnt tell him that but he knows that i was thinking along those lines.

and... TODAY at the same apartments... one of the tenants stopped and asked me if we were in charge of cleaning the ditches... uuuuuhhhhhh..... nah... we aint some garbage men babygirl..... oh yea another thing.... maybe you can put your trash in a TRASHCAN instead of the ditches....

work_it
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
That's one of the reasons I keep a camera with me. I've had to take pictures of excessive trash on a lawn a few times and send a picture with my invoice. That way there's no question why I'm charging extra for garbage removal. They can either pay me $1/min or have the tenants do it for free.

MuleCutter
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
this complex is trashy... it's just the quality of people there. its like a small one street ghetto. every 3 months we cut the grass i the ditches and poison them so the excess grass doesnt catch the trash and hold it in place to stop up flow. the work that we do is beautiful.... it's just people that live there dont care and are lazy.....

MOWPART_SCOTT
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Had a man call last week getting his mower ready for the season. He asks me how much air he needs to put in his lawn mower tire and says that the tire gage reads 82lbs! OMG!!!!!!!! You could here his little plug in air pump runnin in the back ground!(STILL PUMPIN!) I told the guy. SIR PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE TIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your car tire only holds 35 lbs! CAR TIRE! I told him that the psi was posted on the tire but he may wanna get his 22 and shoot it out from a distance! before you try to get close enough to read the psi! I think his gage was broke? IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A LAWN MOWER TIRE CAN HOLD 80+ lbs in a tire!

We have also had people bring there new mowers that they bought from us in two weeks after purchase and can't get it started? They can not believe that we would sell them a new mower that only last 2 weeks! They said that they would tell everybody in town that we sell junk! WELL! You should see there face when we put gas in it and it starts on the first click of the key! GAS DUDE! GAS MAKE A MOWER START QUICK!

I have a million stories i could typpe all day! but i won't

C-Ya
www.mowpart.com

MuleCutter
03-14-2007, 05:49 PM
you'd be surprised at how much air a lawn mower tire holds. when i worked at my exmark dealership, which is next door to a tire store, we had a customer buy a navigator. he busted the tire and needed a new one but it wouldnt seal around the rim. we tried soaping the tire and everything just to get it to slip into place but nothing happened so we took it to the tire store and it took right about 80 lbs to get it to seal.

Elite Lawn Care
03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
This lady wants me to give her mom a discount of 50% because she is on a fixed income and they don't have time to cut moms lawn because their personal buisness is taking too much of their time. after they agree to my service price on the property. I never even stoped to say no.

packer101
03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Workign at a garden center i had someone in all seriousness ask me if our mulch was radioactive.

LazerZHP
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
One of my customers stopped me while mowing (side discharging)no bagger on, and asked are you bagging right now, I replied , yup and kept on mowing .

*trucewhiteflag* heres your sign.

Carolina Cuts
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I've had a few customers come out and try to stop me from mowing the lawn JUST after it rains, or while I get caught up in a rain storm, but just wanna finish the day out.
"Are you sure you should be cutting the grass when it's wet???"
"Sure ma'am.... I put the wet blades on first thing this morning..."
"Oooh, ok... I was just making sure...."

You wouldn't believe how this once 'joke among fellow friends' has worked with the customers....

Mike Royce
03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: Even these stories are funny, when customers tell you something stupid, just remember that alot of people don't think before they ask questions. People just do that. I used to work at a pet shop some years ago. They sold frozen rats for people to thaw and feed to their snakes. A lady once asked me the mother of all dumb questions, "are the frozen rats dead?" And she was dead serious! I paused, expecting to see her smile or something. Because surely she way kidding. Then I replied, "I hope so."

lawnprosteveo
03-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Maybe its not the dumbest things but the stuff that really gets under my skin:

1. Isnt it too wet to mow?
2. I need you to "catch" the grass because mulching causes thatch.

I dont know why but I cant stand it when they say this..:hammerhead:

pclawncare
03-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I enjoyed reading all these stories really a good laugh. i got 2 that i think are good . I have posted one befor but ill do it again because i though it was crazy
A lady mid 60s real nice lady and my biggest account about 8 acres. She asks me to come out a cut her grass i show up and she asks me if i can do something about the un even grass. I replied ya i can mow it and it will all be even. She said ok but just in the spots where it needs it. I proceeded to cut the entire 8 acres gave her the regular price and she said gezzzz that really took you a long time to cut just a few spots. Didnt say a thing about the price or anything. I still wonder if she really though i only cut a few spots. Another lady called last fall wanted leaves picked up out of her back yard show up theres quite a few leaves i pick them up with my walker and put them into the truck. She comes out and says well i hoped that you would just mulch them into the yard and i said well you told me to pick them up a week ago because i asked then she called. Anyway she said can you mulch them and i said ya next week i can come back there will be more. She replied no today. I said ya but at a price gave her a figure and she said ok. We took all the leaves out of the truck spread them over the yard and then ran over them with the mulching deck. Come on what was going to be around 100 dollar job i ended up leaving with 225 bucks in my pocket . Im not complaining because it was so easy but by far the craziest thing anyone has asked me to do i mean besides the lady asking if i can climb up on her roof and get her cat out of the tree

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-15-2007, 12:26 AM
i cut an entire block (9 houses) in a long row, well midseason last yr was dry, and 8 of these 9 houses were irrigated ...well mr. no irrigation with the slightly browner grass..comes out, tells me get off his lawn and never come back, saying i killed his lawn....i said its cause of lack of water, which is why i have your lawn on a 14 day cycle instead of everyone else around (he knew i cut the whole block) ...he then tried to tell me it was because of some disease my mower drug in (which he claims some "specialist" told him)....after argueing the point i said well i gotta get this thing to the lawn doctor and drove off to the next yard

still havent collected one months pay which he said had to be used to "re-sod and re-topsoil his entire yard" which was never done...being im still in the neighborhood...and get to drive by each week

time for a mechanics lein you stuuuuuuuuupid baldie

siklid1066
03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
A female(good looker)customer came up to me and said(Please dont do me this week,i wanna get done the following week)then she starts laughing.AND then she says(When you come can you trim my bush in the front,when you do me)I just had no choice,,,,,,I looked at her and started cracking up.

mulchmaster
03-16-2007, 09:57 AM
About 7 years ago I was working for a guy clearing walks. I would take 2 other guys and we would spend between 12 and 16 hours doing walks. One night about 2 in the morning, we had just finished a place down the street and were sitting in the truck to warm up and grab somthing to eat, when a cop pulls up behind us. He sits there a min and gets out and walks up to my window, and asks "do you guys remove snow in the area"? I didn't know what to say, I had 3 snow blowers in the back along with about 2500 lbs of ice melt, so I looked at him and said yea. Ok just thought I would check, you can't be too sure!!

marckxman
03-16-2007, 10:31 AM
This happened years ago when I was a crew leader. We were at a house mowing one of our regular customers. This lady comes over from across the street and starts complaining about the job we were doing and ordering me around. Things like " the lawn looks horrible, cut it again. You need to fertilize TODAY. Trim those shrubs before you leave."

I let her finish her rant and then asked her who she was.

She said "I'm the neighbor. They asked me to look after the house while they were on vacation."

JFF
03-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Hysterical stories, everyone.

My first thought? The "bird people."

You know what I am talkin bout?

"Birds live in my red tips. They poop everywhere, and they are always singing. Can you kill them?" Um, no, fairly certain there is no season on blue jays.

Another: I installed about 30 flats of begonias for a woman whose home backed up to a golf course. Took forever cause she liked to talk. Her husband was a doctor and he was never home. So she would come out and chat whenever I showed up.

The next morning, she calls and says "Something is wrong. Someone must have stolen all the flowers you planted, cause they are all gone."

So I drive over, and sure enough, only a few of them left. The rest are all snapped off at the ground. She is looking at me like I did it, I am looking at her like she did it. She wants me to replace them at my cost. We argue for about half an hour.

As we are arguing, we hear a commotion coming from the golf course. A flock of those ugly "Turkey ducks" are coming into her yard from the pond on the golf course. She begins throwing out corn (into the turf) for them to eat.

Some go for the corn. The rest come over and finish off the vodka begonias...

She asked me " Is there something you can put on the flowers to kill the ducks?"

No.

Same lady called me to say something was wrong with the Japanese lace leaf maple she paid her grandson to install. I show up, and the thing is scorched from being in direct sun for 10 hours a day. I tell her its sun scorch.

She asks "Is there something you can put on there to fix it?"

So I told her. "either shade or spf 50..."

brucec32
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
"I know we have some bare spots, my husband is gonna seed them soon

Said about a hybrid Bermuda lawn the customer has lived in for over a decade. When I took it over last year I wondered why they had random patches of Tall Fescue in the lawn at a very high end home. But I don't do the chem and so it wasn't my problem. In the past it's never paid off to point that stuff out, they just think you're dissing their applicator guy. I guess grass is grass to some people, even though it grows 3" in a week and the other stuff grows 3/4".

thes
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM

That's a good one! :laugh:
With four dogs myself...I can sure appreciate that!:waving:

People sure are clueless.:hammerhead:

JFGLN
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Customer says, " We are going on vacation, so you don't need to mow the lawn this month"

Lo Tito Landscape
03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
you didnt cut my grass you could not of cut it that fast you must of just turned your mower on and sat there for 10 minutes

like im gonna drive there to sit in their backyard with the mower running im deaf enough as it is

JFF
03-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Also, we always seemed to have one or two random customers that would call in November and say "something is wrong. All the leaves are falling off of my trees and the lawn is turning brown. Could it be a result of something you sprayed?"

No, you should contact God, or whichever kindergarten teacher neglected to teach you about the seasons.

Harley-D
03-16-2007, 04:00 PM
i actually had a customer that would dress up her poodle and push it around the neighborhood in a baby carriage.:confused: :confused:
:dizzy:

Precision
03-16-2007, 05:09 PM
i actually had a customer that would dress up her poodle and push it around the neighborhood in a baby carriage.:confused: :confused:
:dizzy:

that is actually pretty common.

but in truth, poodles don't deserve to be treated any better.

PhillyShells
03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Went to do give an estimate - after checking out his yard I told the guy " it's $25 per week - which is my minimum - that includes cut, trim and edging. " He says " So........you wont do it for $20 ? " Back to my truck - Later skate !

Here one working for my uncle who retired many years ago.
He gave a guy a price to do his lawn and the guy says " Wow - the guy who used to do my lawn was cheaper than that " So my uncle says to him
" Then why did you get rid of him ? "