PDA

View Full Version : Bagging or not?

bergys
03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
I wanted to see how many of you bag your lawns and not bagging? And why do you prefer one over the other? Also where do you dump your grass?

Ocean Side
03-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum, I have done lawn maintence and landscaping for a few years though. I worked for a company at home, and I worked for a company at school. One bagged one did not. Bagging is better for looks so most people say. If you have a good commercial mower, mulhing is way better for the grass and looks just as good. Best part about mulching with a seasonal contrat, is that the grass grows slower after mulching. ( So less mowing for the same price!) Unless you are on a weekly contract! To dispose of the grass, your local landfill may take it for compost, I am NE so that is normal. You may be able to talk the customer into composting,(Lot sof flatlanders see it as saving the world!) or if you have space compst it yourself for use in the future. Good Luck!

John Gamba
03-04-2006, 09:20 AM
is that the grass grows slower after mulching. ( So less mowing for the same price!) !

Why is this:confused:

nephilim0167
03-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't really understand why someone wouldn't bag, other than to be lazy. Let us be realistic here - don't tell me that you're trying to provide nutrients for the grass as you roll over it with your gas powered mower. I say bag everything, charge the client the dump fees (figure out how many bags can fit in a trailer, and how much it will cost to take the trailer in to dump. Gas and time for you to go also need to be included). In the big picture it's not going to put that much more on the client. Maybe a couple bucks at the most depending on how much grass you're bagging. Not to mention it's also a way to get more money in your pocket which I don't know about you, but I never complain about that.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't really understand why someone wouldn't bag, other than to be lazy. Let us be realistic here - don't tell me that you're trying to provide nutrients for the grass as you roll over it with your gas powered mower. I say bag everything, charge the client the dump fees (figure out how many bags can fit in a trailer, and how much it will cost to take the trailer in to dump. Gas and time for you to go also need to be included). In the big picture it's not going to put that much more on the client. Maybe a couple bucks at the most depending on how much grass you're bagging. Not to mention it's also a way to get more money in your pocket which I don't know about you, but I never complain about that.

"other than to be lazy"

BS!! In my area the ones who want it bagged are over 65, want it bagged every 2 weeks, ususally bahai grass (did I say every 2 weeks) and hauled off for 35 or less (and I have to pay a disposal fee). I WILL NOT bag another yard this year unless they are paying extra and I dont mean 5 bucks either! I can mulch a yard and you cant tell the difference as if it were bagged, being lazy aint got nothing to do with it, its what your area will pay!

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Well I have to say, I bag 90% but in my area the grass grows like fire most of the season and mulching on a 7 day rotation just is not feasable. Also in my city we have FREE dumping in a compost area at our landfil. Most areas DO NOT!

As for mulching making the grass grow slower... that's totally opposite! I have many propertys that when I mulch the back yard for a few weeks and bag the fronts the back yards will grow FASTER each week. Not only that but I do notice some difference in the color as well. The mulched areas actually are a darker green then the bagged areas. But, since they grow faster and taller each week pretty soon I can't mulch anymore and have to go back to bagging to remove the clippings. Actually I can tell a difference in just one week in the height of the grass if I mulched of discharged the clippings the week before.

Oh, the areas that I mulch often need to be double cut to get rid of clippings on the surface, this takes LONGER than bagging. The only reason I do mulch in the back yards at times is just so I don't have to lug clippings back to the truck and dump the awkward catcher bags.

Sunshine Lawn Co
03-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I bag the yards my customers want bagged. Now if i get to a yard and is has alot of growth from last week i'll go ahead and bag it so not to leave a mess. Other then that it's mainly up to the customer. I also charge an extra 5 bucks for those that want to be bagged.

timturf
03-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Well I have to say, I bag 90% but in my area the grass grows like fire most of the season and mulching on a 7 day rotation just is not feasable. Also in my city we have FREE dumping in a compost area at our landfil. Most areas DO NOT!

As for mulching making the grass grow slower... that's totally opposite! I have many propertys that when I mulch the back yard for a few weeks and bag the fronts the back yards will grow FASTER each week. Not only that but I do notice some difference in the color as well. The mulched areas actually are a darker green then the bagged areas. But, since they grow faster and taller each week pretty soon I can't mulch anymore and have to go back to bagging to remove the clippings. Actually I can tell a difference in just one week in the height of the grass if I mulched of discharged the clippings the week before.

Oh, the areas that I mulch often need to be double cut to get rid of clippings on the surface, this takes LONGER than bagging. The only reason I do mulch in the back yards at times is just so I don't have to lug clippings back to the truck and dump the awkward catcher bags.

I have many propertys that when I mulch the back yard for a few weeks and bag the fronts the back yards will grow FASTER each week. Not only that but I do notice some difference in the color as well. The mulched areas actually are a darker green then the bagged areas.

I wonder why? Could it be all the extra organic matter the turfgrass is receiving, the extra nutrients, or the extra water?

If turfgrass is properly fertilized and cut ( frequency never allows more than 1/3 of leaf blade removed) you should seldom have to bag! If properly cut and fertilized, you can't tell the diference from bagged to mulched!

timturf
03-04-2006, 03:04 PM

don't tell me that you're trying to provide nutrients for the grass as you roll over it with your gas powered mower.

That's exactly what you are doing!

nephilim0167
03-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I love saying things that light you flamable folk on fire. Cracks me up :dancing:

StBalor
03-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I only bag the lawns where the home owner says he wants the lawn bagged. I then set the bags to the curb for the trash man to pick up next time they come around.
Aslong as you tell them this is what your gonna do with the bags ahead of time the homeowner does not have a problem with it. And it saves you a trip to the landfill.

J&R Landscaping
03-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I only bag the grass for my customers who want it bagged during the spring and summer months. I do normally step-up and bag a lot more once fall gets closer!

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Trust me timturf... I would LOVE to be able to mulch everything here! It's just NOT possible!!! I tried it out several times with several machines and NONE are capable of making the grass dissapear even in 2 passes. Not to mention all the turds everywhere and the pile of green muck it drops every time you have to kill the blades! Here it is faster and much more attractive to just BAG. Believe me, I would love to be able to hop on a mower and just mow untill I was done and never have to haul clippings!

Oh, and I don't know if you were trying to argue with me or what about the mulched grass being a bit greener or what... but I was pointing out that I KNOW mulching can benifit the turf. Someone a couple posts up had stated the opposite.

timturf
03-04-2006, 09:30 PM
You can mulch anywhere if the mowing frequency matches the growth of grass!

Never remove more than 1/3 of the leave blade.
avoid moderate or higher rates of quick release nitrogen

Pretty simple!

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 09:49 PM
You can mulch anywhere if the mowing frequency matches the growth of grass!

Never remove more than 1/3 of the leave blade.
avoid moderate or higher rates of quick release nitrogen

Pretty simple!

Great advice... You try mowing every 3 to 5 days for customers and let me know how it goes! I gurantee that if I showed up more frequently than once a week I loose most of my customers becsuse most would see that I'm scamming them. Not to mention that my schedule revolvges around weekly cuts. People rely on me being there the same day every week. I have tried mulching at home and most of the fast growing season I mow my lawn twice a week, it still looked like s***.

qualitylawnmanagement
03-04-2006, 10:08 PM
One even bag? I mulch 28 cuts out of the season. Why? Better for the yard,free fertilizer for the yard. I only bag when the leaves fall. It's a waste of time bagging when you don't have to.

godzilla
03-04-2006, 10:24 PM
In the spring it's pretty much required that you bag the clippings around here. Unless you are getting paid to cut 2x per week it's just not fiesable to cut 1x per week and mulch or SD. You have to cut the lawn 2X and then blow out the clumps. Bagging you only run it over once, and no scatter blowing. It's a time saver when the growth rate is nutso. BTW, try telling the no WSN thing to TG/CL.

timturf
03-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Great advice... You try mowing every 3 to 5 days for customers and let me know how it goes! I gurantee that if I showed up more frequently than once a week I loose most of my customers becsuse most would see that I'm scamming them. Not to mention that my schedule revolvges around weekly cuts. People rely on me being there the same day every week. I have tried mulching at home and most of the fast growing season I mow my lawn twice a week, it still looked like s***.

If you have to cut every 3-4 days to prevent excessive clipping, the turfgrass as receive TOO MUCH NITROGEN

Even with low spring n, with a high % win, I need to adjust my schedule to every 6 days for the month of july!

I do bag in fall for leaf removal

dtelawncare
03-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey Jason, what mowers have you tried. I have a 23Hp 52 inch cut Exmark Lazer Z and it scatters the grass out evenly. I have only had to run over a lawn twice when the grass had gotten about 9 inches tall before the customer decided she was going to hire someone to cut her property.

Jason Rose
03-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, that's the mower I bought to mulch with! (exmark lazer Z HP 52" 23hp Kohler) I installed the full mulch kit and had no luck with it at all. Even on turf that would have been easy to bag the mulcher left huge piles of green turds everywhere I turned or changed directions. Shutting off the blades meant I had to leave them running all the way back to the truck, kill them, and then use a snow shovel to scoop up the pile it left. Iv'e also tried a mulch kit on my Dixon, Not any better luck there either. I just use the mulch kit on it for the fall to run it over leaves to chop them up so I have less volume to pick up with the other Dixon with the catcher on it.

The only mower I have ever found that mulches good is my troybilt 33" with some modified blades I use. Even that takes 2 passes to get it clean sometimes.

Maybe I'm too picky, I refuse to leave ANY visible clippings on the lawn when I'm done. Bagging is the only way to do that in one pass, sometimes it's even too tall to bag in one pass and I will make 2 passes over some areas to get everything clean and even.

I fert. about half of my lawns, the other half are taken care of by the homeowner or other contractors or are not fertilized at all. The lawns I even attempted to mulch are the ones I fert. There is no way to mulch the others, they are way too over fertilized to even try. most are getting 5 to 8 applications of fertilizer a season. I try to do 4, some lawns can get by ok with 3, others need 5.