PDA

View Full Version : Need help protecting tailgate for now.

Shawns Lawns
03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I will be using my new truck this year for cutting and will be hauling a new trailer.. I have been using this http://www.loadhandler.com/ to empty the grass out of the back of my old truck and it works awsome. I don't mind putting it on the new tailgate but does anyone know of a protector i could use so that the straps that go around the tailgate will not wear off the paint like it did on my old truck. I plan on getting a dump insert but i may have to wait till next year for that. So in the meantime i am looking for a way to keep my new tailgate from looking like my old one. Any suggestions??:waving:

PGA
03-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I will be using my new truck this year for cutting and will be hauling a new trailer.. I have been using this http://www.loadhandler.com/ to empty the grass out of the back of my old truck and it works awsome. I don't mind putting it on the new tailgate but does anyone know of a protector i could use so that the straps that go around the tailgate will not wear off the paint like it did on my old truck. I plan on getting a dump insert but i may have to wait till next year for that. So in the meantime i am looking for a way to keep my new tailgate from looking like my old one. Any suggestions??:waving:

Some sort of thin foam strip under the strap?? Maybe a towel?

I would some sort of cloth underneath it would stop the paint from coming off.

METRO 36
03-04-2006, 07:56 PM
A large lco in my area ran into the same problem,so he just ran down to the local junk yard and bought a couple of used tail gate's, and swapped them and put the new ones up in his garage.

4LLAWNSINC
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
I bought a tailgate that is made of expanded metal and have used it on 2 superduty's. When ever I got a new truck I would always take the tailgate off before I screwed it up. Not only will this tailgate take some abuse, but you can touch up the paint on it with some black spray paint if you like. You can also bungee cord stuff to it to keep from bouncing around, and you can see out the back of it for when you are backing up. I am not sure of the exact address to find one-but if you search expanded metal tailgate you should be able to find one. There is also that theory of improved mileage from airflow, but I mow lawns and don't know much about physics.:)

Shawns Lawns
03-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I thought of getting a extra tailgate to. So i called and they are going for $300 a pop..... at a junkyard, really not the amount i wanted to spend. payup payup payup

ArkansasLawns
03-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Could you call "Loadhandler" and see if they could recommend something. Then try to find something similar to what they recommended locally .

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-05-2006, 09:24 AM
would foam pipe insulation wrapped around the straps help???

Jason Rose
03-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I know what you are talking about... I had a load handler for a few years. I never tried to prevent the damage though, once I realized it was scratching and rubbing the damage was already done. A terry cloth hand towel under each strap... I found that it was only the top hard plastic portion that did the damage, even though it had some padding in it.

Does your truck have a tailgate cap? Mine on my GMC protected the paint when I had to use it for a week or so last season.

Hey, just thought, they have clear plastic stuff out that you use as a scratch and chip protector! It's like a heavy mil wide tape. It's made to apply to the front of your hood and rocker pannels (or anywhere you are worried about chips and scratches) When it starts to get ugly you can peel it off and put on new instead of having chips in the paint! Iv'e seen it sold in some auto parts stores and a new car dealership will definately have it!

Shawns Lawns
03-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Could you call "Loadhandler" and see if they could recommend something. Then try to find something similar to what they recommended locally .
Good idea i will call them Monday.:waving:

Shawns Lawns
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
I know what you are talking about... I had a load handler for a few years. I never tried to prevent the damage though, once I realized it was scratching and rubbing the damage was already done. A terry cloth hand towel under each strap... I found that it was only the top hard plastic portion that did the damage, even though it had some padding in it.

Does your truck have a tailgate cap? Mine on my GMC protected the paint when I had to use it for a week or so last season.

Hey, just thought, they have clear plastic stuff out that you use as a scratch and chip protector! It's like a heavy mil wide tape. It's made to apply to the front of your hood and rocker pannels (or anywhere you are worried about chips and scratches) When it starts to get ugly you can peel it off and put on new instead of having chips in the paint! Iv'e seen it sold in some auto parts stores and a new car dealership will definately have it!
I thought of the foam and the terry towel but if they get wet and rub it will wear away the finish. But the clear plastic i will look into. Have you ever used it?:waving:

Jason Rose
03-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I thought of the foam and the terry towel but if they get wet and rub it will wear away the finish. But the clear plastic i will look into. Have you ever used it?:waving:

no, Iv'e never used it personally, but I see many newer vehicles with it applied to them! IF I had been smart I would have used it on the nose of my hood, now I have a bunch of rock chips in the paint :cry:

I think it would be the perfect thing to protect the tailgate from the loadhandler though.

jblawns123
03-05-2006, 10:34 AM
You won't need your tailgate when you buy your dump insert.:dancing:

Shawns Lawns
03-05-2006, 10:51 AM
You won't need your tailgate when you buy your dump insert.:dancing:
Your right but, i will when i buy the quick change out unit from dump pro thats why i want to keep it looking like the rest of the truck.:waving:

cochino12
03-05-2006, 01:03 PM
What about a clear bra? once it gets to scratched up you can just peel it off?

kemmer
03-05-2006, 04:39 PM
one guy i know just used painters tape, came of the truck nice, and protected it to

Shawns Lawns
03-09-2006, 05:05 PM
one guy i know just used painters tape, came of the truck nice, and protected it to
Is there a specific type that the glue residue will not be to hard to take off?:waving:

Jason Rose
03-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Is there a specific type that the glue residue will not be to hard to take off?:waving:

Well, specifically painters tape, the blue or green kind. NOT the beige stuff though, it's glue will stick for good once it's baked on there a while.

If you use the painters tape it won't hold on in the wet though. I would advise maybe replacing it every week or so anyway just to be sure IT hasn't worn thru somewhere you can't see and allowing the bracket to eat into the paint.

I thought too, do you have a vinal graphics shop anywhere by you? A strip of adehesive vinal (could even find a color to match your truck!) would work nice. You would want to remove it in about a year just so it dosn't get hard and hard to peel. As long as it's less than a year or 2 old it will be plyable enough to peel right off still.

Shawns Lawns
03-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Jason Rose i do have a vinyl shop and thats a good idea i will check into that.:waving: