PDA

View Full Version : hammers for base

orionkf
03-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I was just wondering what everyone uses for setting their retaining wall base. I've seen people use rubber mallets, 28 oz. boxstore deadblows (seamless handle to head connection), fiberglass handled 3 pounders with beads inside, some use 4+ pound hammers with the screw-in faces. On an outdoor home improvement show, they even used a sledge hammer (3 or 4 pounder I think). So what do the pros use? Pros/cons of each? Just a personal preference?

Please include as much detail as you can concerning type, size, weight. Pictures and links would be good too. I'm considering the screw-in type, but not sure what hardness of tip to get, or how heavy is too heavy, or if it is worth the $50+.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Orion

jreiff
03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
We use the blue one on this page:

http://www.hammersource.com/Dead_Blow_Hamm.html

I really like them. I think it is a 4 or 5 lb hammer, filled with steel beads. Only down fall is that the heads that screw on tend to strip out and fall off. Not a big deal, can just replace them. Work alot better than a rubber mallet were you really can't get anything behind it, just bounces right back off the block. With the dead blow you can get a good hit with it. :hammerhead:

Hope this helps alittle....

orionkf
03-04-2006, 05:37 PM
We use the blue one on this page:

http://www.hammersource.com/Dead_Blow_Hamm.html

I really like them. I think it is a 4 or 5 lb hammer, filled with steel beads. Only down fall is that the heads that screw on tend to strip out and fall off. Not a big deal, can just replace them. Work alot better than a rubber mallet were you really can't get anything behind it, just bounces right back off the block. With the dead blow you can get a good hit with it. :hammerhead:

Hope this helps alittle....

Very cool, that is exactly the type I was considering. What color tips do you use?

cgland
03-04-2006, 07:23 PM
We use the ones from Pave-Tech that look like that. We used to use a 3lb sledge with wooden blocks........:dizzy: Now we use the dead blows.

Chris

jreiff
03-04-2006, 09:37 PM
We have the white tips/ ends. Seem to last farely long.

Squizzy246B
03-05-2006, 07:26 AM
If I get blocks like I got the other day again I'll be using a 22lb sledge:mad: :realmad:

nocutting
03-05-2006, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=orionkf]I was just wondering what everyone uses for setting their retaining wall base. I've seen people use rubber mallets, 28 oz. boxstore deadblows (seamless handle to head connection), fiberglass handled 3 pounders with beads inside, some use 4+ pound hammers with the screw-in faces. On an outdoor home improvement show, they even used a sledge hammer (3 or 4 pounder I think). So what do the pros use? Pros/cons of each? Just a personal preference?

Please include as much detail as you can concerning type, size, weight. Pictures and links would be good too. I'm considering the screw-in type, but not sure what hardness of tip to get, or how heavy is too heavy, or if it is worth the $50+.

Intresting?........I just dig my first course lower than grade.......only hammer I use is a stone hammer for breaking / splitting, to fit my stones are tight as possioble [ think its a 22oz head]:drinkup:

orionkf
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Intresting?........I just dig my first course lower than grade.......only hammer I use is a stone hammer for breaking / splitting, to fit my stones are tight as possioble [ think its a 22oz head]:drinkup:

Is this for an SRW?