PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of ZTR over tractor?

MarkD
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi. My brother and I live next door to each other and have about 2 acres combined and want to buy a mower together. He can't understand why we can't just buy a tractor at Home Depot like "everyone else."

I told him a $5000ish ZTR like the Hustler Fastrak would have the following advantages over an $1800 tractor:

- Better cut due to floating deck and faster blade speed

- Not needing to bag since the 18000fpm blade speed chops the grass into find particles. None of the commerical guys here in NJ seem to bag from what I've seen.

- Ability to cut the two acres much faster. How much faster I don't know. Any thoughts?

- Durability. Most likely this will be a one time purchase if we buy a unit with a good frame, welded steel deck, real bearing in wheels as opposed to bushings, heavy duty transmission, etc...

To that last factor he says, "yeah but we can buy a new tractor every 5 years and still be ahead of the game."

We are both Mechanical Engineers so perhaps I'm not explaining this correctly. I'm at the point where I'm going to forget him and just buy a Mini Fastrak for my acre.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Mark

Signature Landscaping1
03-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Deffinatly ztr!!

nmez21
03-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Go big or go home, the HD mowers usually need more service work than most can imagine. GO ZTR

mcwlandscaping
03-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, your on the right track, is it possible to demo a ZTR and bring it home and show your brother what you mean? That might thelp

Soupy
03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
You mentioned some great factors to why a ZTR would be a better purchase. But you forgot one really big factor and that is you will enjoy using it 1000 times more then the garden tractor. The ZTR will last long enough to justify the cost, so I wold focus more on the time saved (labor) and the fact you will look forward to cutting the grass each week using a ZTR.

lampeslawnservice
03-04-2006, 04:36 PM
ZTR way more fun and faster than HD tractor. The blades do move at 18000+rpm instead of 3600 rpm's. Thats a no brainer which will cut thick grass. It's funny watching a customers neighbor ride around on his craftsman (same size yard) already started on his and I pull up unload mow and have the yard done weedeated, walks blown off and loaded before he gets 3/4 the way done.:dancing: Tell your brother to buy his own HD mower and get yourself a ZTR and then you can laugh when he's out there for an hour and it only takes you .5 hour

Soupy
03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
ZTR way more fun and faster than HD tractor. The blades do move at 18000+rpm instead of 3600 rpm's. Thats a no brainer which will cut thick grass. It's funny watching a customers neighbor ride around on his craftsman (same size yard) already started on his and I pull up unload mow and have the yard done weedeated, walks blown off and loaded before he gets 3/4 the way done.:dancing: Tell your brother to buy his own HD mower and get yourself a ZTR and then you can laugh when he's out there for an hour and it only takes you .5 hour

Plus there will be no finger pointing when something breaks. If you do go partner then just remember that unless the mower was used outside the scope of it's abilities then it probably isn't anyones fault if something breaks. Most likely it was just the luck of the draw who was using it at the time of breakdown.

Richard Martin
03-04-2006, 04:57 PM
The blades do move at 18000+rpm instead of 3600 rpm's. Thats a no brainer which will cut thick grass.

I wasn't going to say anything but I don't want any misinformation getting out there.

The blades on a ZTR do not move at 18,000 RPM and in some instances they do turn at 3600 RPM.

You had the right number but the wrong reference.

A lot of the blades on ZTRs move at more than 18,000 FPM (feet per minute). Homeowner type machines do tend to rotate slower but these days it's not a whole lot slower.

Ramairfreak98ss
03-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Well ive used a 16hp 1990 48" Simplicity garden tractor for years, put almost 800 hours on it myself alone. If would have been much easier using something that costed 8k vs 3k like the 1990 simplicity. My ferriz ztr 1000z has plenty more HP, 27 vs 16 and has a full 61" deck vs a 48" on the other mower. It was hands down much better than a $1500 craftsman or hd crap mower. Its got 1300+hrs on it now over 16yrs.

I think personally on my OWN large lawn back years ago, i would have wanted, and did want a FRONT mower not a ztr, a front mower would have been much easier getting under the large trees than a garden tractor or ztr.

ztrs are great for commercial lawn care since you can turn right around and not waste time. plus they ONLY cut grass, no plowing, snowblowing, pulling wagons etc. I would have bo ught a large garden tractor over a ztr for my own lawn purposes... like a simplicity legacy 4x4 xl with a 60" mower deck and snowblower.

Soupy
03-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Well ive used a 16hp 1990 48" Simplicity garden tractor for years, put almost 800 hours on it myself alone. If would have been much easier using something that costed 8k vs 3k like the 1990 simplicity. My ferriz ztr 1000z has plenty more HP, 27 vs 16 and has a full 61" deck vs a 48" on the other mower. It was hands down much better than a $1500 craftsman or hd crap mower. Its got 1300+hrs on it now over 16yrs.

I think personally on my OWN large lawn back years ago, i would have wanted, and did want a FRONT mower not a ztr, a front mower would have been much easier getting under the large trees than a garden tractor or ztr.

ztrs are great for commercial lawn care since you can turn right around and not waste time. plus they ONLY cut grass, no plowing, snowblowing, pulling wagons etc. I would have bo ught a large garden tractor over a ztr for my own lawn purposes... like a simplicity legacy 4x4 xl with a 60" mower deck and snowblower.

I don't know about the ZTR he is looking at but some do offer attachments such as a snow blade or snow blower. Also some ZTR's come with hitch options for towing. I have/do use a tow behind aerator with Hustler Z and Dixie Chopper.

BUT, if one was planning on using a lot of special attachments then a mid size tractor (not the garden variety) with front loader and 3 point hitch would be best.

I think we are getting a bit off topic as he didn't mention attachments but it is something for him to consider.

MarkD
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've said my peace to my brother and told him to just let me know what he wants to do. I'll buy a smaller ztr if I have to go it alone. I'm not buying a orange box tractor! And yes, if he buys a tractor I'll be sure to start cutting when he starts so I can walk over with an iced tea and watch him after I've finished.

Thanks again,

Mark

work_it
03-06-2006, 01:29 PM
If you're both mechanical engeneers it seems that you should both come to the same conclusion. The differences between any HO equipment and commercial grade equipment are night and day. The HO mower is designed to cut a lawn once a week for 5 to 10 years. A commercial mower is designed to run every day for 5 to 10 years.

The only conclusion I can draw from your post is that your brother isn't too serious about this business venture. That would explain why he's not willing to spend the extra money on equipment. You may want to sit down together and draw up a business plan. It will help you determine if going into business together is a wise decision.

nmurph
03-06-2006, 04:14 PM
buy the mft!!!!!! once a week x 30/yr=maybe 45 hrs/yr--max. the mtf will cut your cutting time in half or more depending on how much landscaping you have to trim around. take care of the mower and you will have many years to sit back and drink tea while you brother finishes his lawn. you can sit back with a smug smile on your face knowing you made the better choice!

7 IRON
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've said my peace to my brother and told him to just let me know what he wants to do. I'll buy a smaller ztr if I have to go it alone. I'm not buying a orange box tractor! And yes, if he buys a tractor I'll be sure to start cutting when he starts so I can walk over with an iced tea and watch him after I've finished.

Thanks again,

Mark

Like Others Have mentioned,A ZtR Will Be Much More Enjoyable For The
Amount Of Times You Will End Up Mowing And More Durability Will Cause
Less Break Downs.:) :)

lawnmaniac883
03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
When he buys his HD tractor, see if it will pop a wheelie like your mini fastrac will :cool2:

Eurosport
03-06-2006, 08:16 PM
The only conclusion I can draw from your post is that your brother isn't too serious about this business venture. That would explain why he's not willing to spend the extra money on equipment. You may want to sit down together and draw up a business plan. It will help you determine if going into business together is a wise decision.

Business plan to cut his lawn:confused:

work_it
03-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Sorry, but I've got to a point where I'm skimming through posts like these without really paying attention to all the details. I thought it was 2 brothers getting into business together while having a rough time deciding on a mower.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I need to be a little more thorough with my reading. Can we now have a moderator move this thread to the proper forum...the homeowners forum?